Options
    It appears to be real.

"Remediation"? Post 14
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    BugSmurf wrote: »
    So I've called them this morning myself and have said that I don't want to give my bank details by post, can they send me a cheque?
    Did you ask for an explanation about what it was all about and how they calculated the figure?

If they can't come up with any credible explanation of exactly what happened in the past and how they've calculated the redress, how will you satisfy yourself that they won't come chasing after you in future for an erroneously-issued 'refund'?
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    What did they say when you told them their letter looked so dodgy that two of Santander's own staff thought it was a fake?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a little-used bank account, pay it in there, then quickly transfer it to your normal account. If it is dodgy, that will make it harder for someone to steal your money.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5663693
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll keep my powder dry on the "told you so" postings until you have the money, cleared, into an account that you have then transferred fully to another account.

Would be helpful to say the least for the bank to give you a statement on how they calculated this random amount rather than just a cheque.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    give you a statement on how they calculated this random amount
    Next week, they might be saying they overpaid the refund . . .
  • Eddy88
    Options
    Bugsmurf

Did you ever get this cheque?

I am also going through this very painful process! Mine is for 2 mortgage accounts that have now ended and closed, they are saying they need my bank account details to pay me back the money – I don’t trust them so have said to send me a cheque.

Received letter and thought it looks cheap and suspicious, google’d number and said it was a scam, took it to branch and they couldn’t tell if it was real or not and said it looked suspicious but called they’re mortgage team who said it was real, sent it off via the branch.

Heard nothing so I made contact via the main Santander number.. was told cheques are in the post

2 weeks went by and called again, was transferred to the “Project Reema” team dealing with refunds, was told they never sent me a cheque as they only had 1 letter back (not sure how they would only have 1 as they were sent together), asked them to send that 1 cheque and they said it would be sent on 7 August (still not received anything). They said they would send me the 2nd cheque if I sent them back the letter requesting the cheque but I haven’t done this yet as i haven’t received another copy from them yet.

All very odd, very time consuming, if they have taken too much money through mortgage interest payments I expect them to repay this in a convenient manner i.e just recredit my bank account which they have details for as they took the monthly payments for 3 years, or send me a cheque!!?

I am also suspicious as I keep getting calls from "Santander" from a lady called Sarah asking me to call her with my account details and leaving me a mobile number to call her back on - surely not usual practice!!!?!
  • batrachophagus
    Options
    I had some remediation from Nationwide on a mortgage which I posted on the mortgage board, which was definitely genuine. There are some common themes:

They didn't quote dates
    They didn't show detailed working or explain what had gone wrong except in very vague terms
    They added interest at 8%
    They deducted tax at 20%

I was never able to get a satisfactory explanation of what happened, but I did get the money. As the mortgage was still open I didn't need to provide an account number though, and their letter was very professionally produced.
  • batrachophagus
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    If it's a scam it's very elaborate.

Most of it looks very plausible, but why on earth would they ask you for bank details.

If it was me I would call that number and get them to prove they are Santander - run THEM through some security checks.

Very elaborate and the PO Box address is genuine (I can see it on their website for PPI complaints), so if you did as asked, only Santander would receive the form.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP has been back on MSE recently but not updated his thread. Did you get the money then OP?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure