Scam email allegedly from Paypal...

Options
Zero_Gravitas
Zero_Gravitas Posts: 583 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 10 March 2017 at 1:15PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Just posting FYI as I had not seen this one before...

Received this from "PayPal Payments <vqDH.mjQL@tufts.edu>"

It was just good enough to make me think for a moment and check my actual PayPal transactions - particularly as it claims that you have bought a subscription to something... However, the "from" address is clearly nonsense, it doesn't address me by name (although my PayPal ID - redacted here - was correct). I've also redacted the "unsubscribe" link - but that was nothing to do with PayPal either:

"Dear ,

You sent a payment of £58.00 GBP to Google Chrome – The Fast and Secure Web Browser This email confirms your purchase of the following subscription usign your PayPalID (redacted):

Product description: 1 x Google Chrome – The Fast and Secure Web Browser Unit price: £58.00 GBP
Qty: 1
Total price: £58.00 GBP
This is a subscription order and you'll be billed every month until you cancel your subscription.
Issues with this transaction?
You can cancel a Subscription at any time: [url]http://[/url]I have redacted the link.com
You have 7 days from the date of the transaction to cancel the subscription without beeing charged.
Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. To get in touch with us, click Help & Contact.

Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal PPC000478:180189844d1ea"

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you please remove the link to redacted.com
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Zero_Gravitas
    Options
    Can you please remove the link to redacted.com

Done - sorry. I'd removed the original link and replaced it with "redacted". It never occurred to me that "redacted.com" actually existed... Should be clearer now.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The subject of the subscription itself should have been a big clue that this was a phishing attempt. :D
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    IMO PayPal encourage phishing - they are one of the few these days that include links to their login pages in emails.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think ebay or paypal need to give sellers your email address. Your user ID should be more than enough for a seller.

I use a separate email for ebay and paypal and never use then for anything else. Unlikely to get get emails from random generators also. Not impossible though just unlikely.
    So when i get spam or phishing attempts i know its someone i have dealt with. I buy a lot from China and the amount of advertising emails i get now is increasing.
    If it carries on i will just bump them to new email addresses.

The seller gets your ID so why the need for my email? All communication should be done within ebay/paypals systems.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm suddenly getting phishing emails re Paypal every other day it seems.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    And included the email header information
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    Only 1 smelling misteak-
    "You have 7 days from the date of the transaction to cancel the subscription without beeing charged"
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont think ebay or paypal need to give sellers your email address. Your user ID should be more than enough for a seller.

I use a separate email for ebay and paypal and never use then for anything else. Unlikely to get get emails from random generators also. Not impossible though just unlikely.
    So when i get spam or phishing attempts i know its someone i have dealt with. I buy a lot from China and the amount of advertising emails i get now is increasing.
    If it carries on i will just bump them to new email addresses.

The seller gets your ID so why the need for my email? All communication should be done within ebay/paypals systems.

These are random though, it doesn't take a genius to set up a spam programme to send out a million emails a day to made up email addresses, most will fail as the addresses won't exist but some will get through. These are not generated from the actual companies.

I get phishing emails all the time on supposedly 'clean' email addresses, most from companies I have no connection with or in many cases have never even heard of.

My most irritating phishing mails currently at the Amazon ones that are arriving several times a day and will not filter into my spam net.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    Options
    Only 1 smelling misteak-

'Don't tell them, Pike.'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income