PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Ten a Day challenge, join me

Comments

• medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2017 at 9:21AM
    I've tried this before and found it quite hard to keep up. Generally I think I do okay.

Yesterday : toast and marmite for breakfast (0)
    Snack : banana (1)
    Lunch : big mixed salad of leaves various, cabbage, tomatoes, carrot and a little grated cheese (2/3) 2 tiny bite size millionaires
    Dinner: home made veggie chilli ( beans/tinned toms/ leek/ peppers/ mushrooms) with brown rice and guacamole and sour cream dips and tortilla chips and a glass of wine (2/3)
    Cream egg

So possibly 7 ish but my portion size is small at my main meal as I'm a small person, but my salad was big.

I struggle with consuming fruit as it's not my favourite thing to grab, but if I added a couple of bits I suppose it would be achievable.

Ps I don't normally eat 2 lots of chocolate in a day. It's been a tough week and I needed a treat :)

I used to buy Delicious magazine and I remember an article with lots of recipes for the 5 a day in one meal and tried a few at the time, but I think I've lost it now.

Today : 2 slices of fruit loaf ( 1 as dried fruit counts as a portion :))
    Lunch will be a portion of veggie chilli and brown rice left over ( 2) and an orange (1)
    Snack will be a raw carrot ( 1) and olives before dinner ( do they count?). (1)
    Dinner possibly homemade falafel burgers with salad, the leftover dips, a pitta and a few chips and wine as it's Friday :) (3) = 8 ish total

I thin I may average about 7 normally by the looks of it, but as others have said adding in more will mean I maybe eat more than I physically need to run my body.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    I've only just seen this, though someone was mentioning "10 a day" this afternoon.

I have a question about celery - three sticks is a portion. Is this three whole sticks, or three pieces out of one of those packs of 'trimmed celery', which are considerably shorter? I had two big sticks with my cheesy pasta tonight (plus a serving of butternut squash), and this seemed quite a lot.
    (Odd meal I know, but I came in not feeling like cooking!)

I`ve just weighed 1 big stick and it comes to 82g so think this must refer to 3 of the small ones.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter whether something is protein or carbohydrate.
    The only thing that matters is the micro-nutrients that the foods contain.

But I agree that beans shouldn't be included because the sugar outweighs any goodness the beans might have.

Beans are included in the NHS 5 a day recommendations for good reason i.e. protein, fibre, nutrients etc. I buy the reduced sugar and as a portion is 1/4 can that's just over 1g . Not excessive by any means.

I have followed Slimming World plan for two years, I lost almost 4 stone and have been at target for over a year now. Beans are a free food on this plan.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Forget the "list", look at the nutritional content. This is where a bit of common sense comes in.

I wouldn't touch the beans either as they are swimming in sugar, ditto the pineapple.

Mushrooms (protein) and tomatoes (f) are nutritionally sound choices though. And the banana is under-ripe, so that's much better than dark.

My common sense tells me to be guided by the advice given by the
    NHS rather than personal opinions so will stick to their list.
    Slimming World at target
  • May I join in please. I eat paleo for health reasons, no grains so I do quite well with the f&v.

I would really love some breakfast ideas.
  • I guess you bean baked beans are high in sugar not beans themselves?
    Today I should just about manage 10

muesli with dried fruit (1)
    1/3 of honey melon for snack (1)
    1 apple (1)
    later I'll have 2 carrots for snack (2)
    sauerkraut snack and pickled onion (weird I know but its 1)
    salad for lunch with kinder beans, tomatoes, cucumber etc (2)
    the green beans with dinner (1)
    After dinner snack of fruit (1)

Makes 9

I should definitely up my veg rations vs the fruit ones to reduce the sugar intake. Will work on that next week.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • May I join in please. I eat paleo for health reasons, no grains so I do quite well with the f&v.

I would really love some breakfast ideas.

How about eggs with spinach/tomato
    Smoothie
    Avocado, bacon sandwich

You can also find recipes for pale pancakes/muffins that you can to with any fruit or add veg to
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Where I live, lunch always starts with soup, salad or both, smallish helping but a great way to up the count.

So far today, 50g blueberries, half a banana, 200ml beetroot juice, a plate of spinach with 1/2 arvo and an apple....there was other stuff too...

This evening parsnip pilau which has also lentils...and a pumpkin curry beside...
    So should get there.

When the children were young, I had four allotments and we ate what was there...possibly 8 a day..but I would would have not been able to do that without growing them myself...with six it would have been expensive and heavy on the bus!

No point getting stressed.....a fun challenge for those who like a challenge....so enjoy
    :)
  • meg72
    Forumite
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72 wrote: »
    My common sense tells me to be guided by the advice given by the
    NHS rather than personal opinions so will stick to their list.

The NHS tell us all kinds of things are ok to eat and they aren't or tell us not to eat things that are perfectly healthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure