How do i find out house prices in 1991

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Something definitely wrong, 1.4.93 was start of CT so the fact that this date is mentioned indicates that the ET flat's band has been changed. If you go back to VOA website you can check history of ET flat by clicking on "history" and it will show you previous band.

But if you use your purchase price it won't be good news. VOA have access to virtually all sale prices, previous owner may have improved flat between purchase and sale. Nearly everyone my colleagues and I dealt with who submitted CT appeal said "I paid too much for my home" to which we would reply "NO! you paid the going rate" property prices were rapidly rising. And as has been previously posted VOA pay little attention to property price calculators.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't see that history button first time I checked.
    I just went through the whole row again, checking their histories. The two next door flats to mine were reduced from C to B in 1993; one other top floor flat was was reduced form C to B in 1995. One ground floor flat was reduced from C to A in 1993, in keeping with other Band A flats in that house.
    So it would seem that my flat and a few others (top floor) were originally Band C and were later reduced, and others were Band B from the beginning. At present mine is the only Band C on the top floor.
  • lincroft1710
    Just phone VOA on Monday and say "My neighbours' flats have been reduced to Band B, mine is virtually same (some of those reduced slightly better) yet still in Band C. I therefore request that you reduce my flat to Band B in line with these".
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • my house was last sold at £110000 in mid 1995 to previous owner according to land rigister.i am on G band but proposed to lower band F like other houses of same size and style in my street.this was extended in early 1995 adding a garage by preious owner.any one can tell me how to prove it was less than £106k in 1991?surely prices increased from 1991 to 1995 but dont knowe what percentage.please advice me.thanks
  • lincroft1710
    Prices decreased from '91 to 95, about 20/25% in part of England I live.
  • I think in scotland prices increased from 1991 to onward until last year,but dont knowe what percentage.thanks for your reply.
  • lincroft1710
    Scotland must have been unique as both England and Wales were in steep decline in this period.
  • you are correct scotland is unique,where prices increased in this period by 8 to 10% but in wales and england decreased be 1 to 2%.these figures are from nationwide and bos web.
  • lincroft1710
    I was working in VOA settling CT appeals, with access to virtually every house price in country, between 91 and 95 we just watched prices drop, over the period a good 25%, the worst were 1 bed clusters selling for £41/42K in 91, £26/28K by 95. We had many appeals in 93 to 95 where reason for appeal was house had just been bought for less than minimum for band. It got very tiring having to explain how prices had dropped, but fortunately had plenty of sales evidence to prove this.

Both Nationwide and Halifax price calculators are unreliable and inaccurate - which I have proved many times, error rate about 10/15% on average.
  • I forgot to mention that in scotland buying and selling house is completely diffrenet than rest of the country.You may be not aware of here if you are buying you make an offer above asking or valuation (which ever is greater).normally between 10-20% above asking or valueation price.in rest of country mostly you will buy a house below asking price.May be this is a reason scotland is unique.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure