Thursday 16th April - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2015 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

My little list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Hairdresser @ home - Done
    Walk to meet friend (also means more decluttering done too) - changed to tomorrow
    Read meters & chart - Done
    Bake - Tomorrow
    Continue clear up in attic/craftroom -
    Continue purge on Emails - wip
    Continue purge on FB & Twitter - wip
    Surveys -
    Check Banks - Done
    Check swapits -
    Enter a few comps - Done
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 5 chances to win - Done
    Read - wip - another book from shelf

Have a great day, love to you all

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning Ziggy & all who follow
    Had a good night's rest & feel happy about the day ahead.
    Need to look around over the next few days for a decent 2nd hand bike as can't continue sharing my husbands now logistics have changed. I was going to see a nice Raleigh for £100 but missed the boat. I'm going to try the local forum again as it's quite good for bargains.
    Husband is muttering about mowing the lawn today. It needs it. Amazing what a difference a tidy lawn makes to a garden. We have sweet peas & nasturtium seedlings coming along well in pots but I don't know how long to let them grow for before transferring to the garden beds?
    Not sure what to make for dinner tonight. We have eaten chicken a lot this week as we bought a big bargain bag at the weekend. Did it with salad and potatoes last night. We've had pasta bake, a stirfry, can't remember one night's already. Ah well might go for a mixed veg, rice type thing. £47 big shop has stretched quite well.
    Anyway no big things to worry about today so that's nice. Have a good day all.
    bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2015 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for starting us off Ziggy. Hope you are feeling better today.

Well, I didn't post yesterday because I felt that I hadn't achieved anything :o I looked after baby GD, but that was at least moneysaving for my DD. I discovered that 17 month old GD likes helping me with the washing up. She will play in the water for ages, which entertains her and deals with fingers that always seem to be sticky :rotfl:

List for today:
    My new sofa cover is going to be fitted today :j Not cheap, but saved up for, and it will make my (pricey when it was new) sofa look like new again. Nothing wrong with it except it looks a bit grubby and dingy. When the new cover gets grubby, I will be able to just take it off and wash it. Much cheaper than a new equivalent sofa, and avoids adding a large item to landfill, which is important to me :)Done, I LOVE it, looks like a new sofa :D Actually even nicer than I thought it would be.

Heating off Done
    Check banks Done
    Put bread machine on later Made a white loaf today, for a change :)
    Check ebay sales items, as 3 small items have watchers and bids :T One small item has gone up to £31, and still 3 days to go :T
    HM meals from stores, aiming for NSD (apart from the balance of the sofa cover :eek:) as I can't think of anything I need today :)Done. Made broccoli and stilton soup for lunch, using the last bit of (frozen) Christmas stilton and some Ocado 49p broccoli. Posh sausages off the market, new potatoes and baked beans for supper
    Pop into sales unit with some new bits, as it was looking a bit sparse in there the other day Put a big boxful of new (old) items in there, looks nice and full now :)
    Do a load of washing and dry on the line outside Actually did (and dried) 2 loads :)
    Water anything outside that needs it - I hate to say it, but the garden could do with some rain! Done
    Put some climbing French bean seeds in (in pots in the conservatory) for planting outside in May Done
    Also some courgette and outdoor cucumbers Oops forgot these - must do tomorrow!
    Plant out some lettuces Done
    Go to bank and get some change in case I decide to do another car boot sale at the weekend (really annoying when car boot sellers don't bother to do this - must lose them loads of sales!) Must do this tomorrow as well

I am sure there is more! Will be back to update later :)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2015 at 8:05AM
    Options
    You will need to harden your seedlings off before they can go outside Bobarella. Stick them outside during the day, but bring back in at night if there is any danger of frost. Depends on where you are / whether your garden is a frost trap or not, but the end of April or beginning of May is generally ok except for the most tender things here (sheltered spot in the SW, tomatoes, cucumbers etc go out mid - late May).

A plastic mini greenhouse or a cold frame is useful at this time of the year, but I don't really have room for one.

Ooh, I have just read the late postings on yesterday's thread - hope all goes well for FVonD with the house!
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all!

Firstly thanks Bob for taking the time to respond to everyone yesterday - you really are thoughtful! And well done for reaching your target!

So today I have/will:-
    * No heating on
    * Check banks
    * Continue using up free foundation samples
    * Do washing up (much more water economical when I do it as OH tends to keep running the tap!)
    * Take lunch to work
    * Go for walk at lunch
    * Earn more SBs
    * Earn more on OnePoll
    * Check FPL
    * Dinner from stores
    * Get legs waxed by mum - was too tired the other day so didn't bother
    * Look for missing CDs whilst at parents so that I can maybe finally get them sent off to MM, zapper etc!

Think that's everything for today. Hope you all have a lovely day!
    Starting again..
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks, Dawn, and hello everyone!

I've had an email this morning from potential house owners saying they're pretty sure they can make it work and how excited they are, as are we!

Today I'm off to the huge open air market with my mum and then we're going to my favourite fish and chip shop in Hampton Court for lunch.

I missed a return call after I made a call the day before yesterday to a lawyer who is fighting a clinical negligence case for a woman who is a patient at the same surgery as my parents are/were. Basically the poor woman, who is only in her forties visited them about 20 times with symptoms of lung cancer and they kept fobbing her off (one time even suggesting she needed treatment for anxiety!) until it was finally diagnosed at A&E but not before it had spread extensively and the poor woman (who has children) now has only six months to live.

Anyhow, the same surgery also missed my dad's cancer. He went to them complaining of lack of appetite which is one of the main symptoms of stomach cancer and they gave him steroids to increase it. He needed to pee a lot (presumably when it has spread to his bladder) and they said there was nothing wrong with him. It had spread to his lungs and they were treating him for a chest infection. Even the day before he died they were called out to him and just said they thought there might be a problem with his liver and they would 'book him a scan'. He died the next morning and a post mortem revealed that what had started as stomach cancer had spread to other organs.

My mum didn't want to take any action at the time (and probably still wouldn't) but I called them to say that if we could help the other woman in any way by showing that they are repeatedly missing the signs then we would. I don't believe in taking compensation from the already cash strapped NHS but if this particular surgery are routinely making these huge mistakes then something needs to be done about it so I will help them if I can.

On the money saving front, I won't buy anything at the market so today will be just the spend for fish and chips. Dinner tonight will be the YS lasagne I picked up last night with fussy eater DH having a previously frozen YS chicken tikka.

I have boiled the potatoes I peeled 2 days ago :o and I'm going to freeze them for future roast dinners. They should be okay, shouldn't they, they have been standing in salted water?

Have a great day all!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's great about the house - fingers crossed for you! That's absolutely terrible about your dad and that lady. It must be awful to know there is something wrong and get fobbed off and basically called a hypochondriac. Whilst you may not want compensation, something clearly needs to be done if they aren't providing an adequate level of care, and so whilst unfortunately it cant help that lady or your dad hopefully it could help others in the future. Hope it goes well and isn't too stressful on you or your mum if you have to relive things.
    Starting again..
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Twiggy -thank you :)

Dawn - I think most little kids love water play. It's a lovely cheap activity as well.

FVD - I really sympathise. Last year my gran had a stroke in her care home. She was taken to hospital. They then called my mum at 5 am the following morning to say she'd died. My poor mother was then taken to a woman dead in a bed and told that was her mother. Mum was in shock and didn't realise it wasn't her mother. Old lady, sunken face, white hair you get the picture. At 3pm the hospital called back to say they'd got the wrong woman and gran wasn't dead. My mum went through hell with the guilt of not realising it wasn't her mother. Anyway long story short the hospital didn't accept any blame. We haven't had any compensation. The same hospital had the police called by an old man who had been left on the toilet for hours and had been ringing his bell and no one came. So he rang 999 on his mobile. It's disgusting the state of care for the elderly.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I'm finally back from the exhibition - just been trying to catch up. Am about half way through Tuesday's post!

FatVonD and Bob - how awful :(

Dawn and twiggy - looks like you are both going to have a busy day!

The highlights of the exhibition were finding a £10 on the floor and managing to spend £0 (by spending the £10) :D

Today's list
    • Check online banking - work have paid some expenses. Reconcile spreadsheet accordingly.
    • Charge phone in work
    • Nab a free biccie in work
    • Put away Nutella and decaff coffee nabbed from hotel brekkie bar (only a couple of sachets!)
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Tend to seedlings. OH mamanged not to kill them while I was away although the greenhouse must have got hot as some of the salad leaves are scorched.
    • Try to fix greenhouse as rip has got worse along the zip
    • Washing on line to dry.
    • Make 2 pies at dinner time and freeze one
    • Housework possibly. Depends if OH does any (he didn't while I was away!)
    Another standard weekday list!

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    It's disgusting the state of care for the elderly.

So sorry to hear that, Bob, your poor mum.

I do believe that on the whole the NHS do a fantastic job with ever dwindling resources, two teams of paramedics spent 2 hours working on my dad for instance, but other aspects of care are not so good.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure