New watch - scratched by the jeweller

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What is your approach when making in-store purchases? I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions on this..

If its a sealed package then no, its sealed so that's fine.

If its an expensive piece of jewelry or watch where you are buying the very item that they are showing you then absolutely I check it irrespective of where I am buying it from. Who knows how many other people have handled it etc and whilst you'd hope if they dropped it etc that the store will have dealt with it properly there can always be errors.

I know when a friend bought a IWC watch there was a slight imperfection in the rear sapphire cover of the movement. Probably wouldnt have been an argument as it was a manufacturing defect but why set yourself up for having to come back, especially if its a gift where the recipient may not want to say anything and wont have a receipt to take it back etc.

Its good they dealt with it properly for you but why risk it? Particularly if they've done work on it (removing the links)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Stoke wrote: »
    If I saw the shop assistant damaging the item (assuming it wasn't something trivial like a box of cereal) I would instantly say "can you be careful" that immediately insinuates I'm not happy and also alerts them to the fact I've noticed, so when I then say "excuse me, you've damaged this" they have very little comeback.

It may not have been adjusted on the counter in front of the customer.

great result OP just as it should be
  • oatybiscuit
    oatybiscuit Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    photome wrote: »
    It may not have been adjusted on the counter in front of the customer.

great result OP just as it should be

That's right photome, the sales women took it in the back office to do it as they don't do it on the sales floor..
  • oatybiscuit
    Interesting responses - thanks everyone sharing.

In my opinion, the norm should not be for the customer to inspect every minute detail and if they walk out of the shop with a defect then just tough luck - there's a massive moral issue there for me. I don't think the shop should be "within their right" to say no in such a scenario. Things should not be so black and white, I think human aspects have to be considered, which can lead to customers missing to spot a small issue there and then. Anyhow my trust has been restored today knowing that not all retailers are as shrewd/unforgiving as we sometimes expect AND accept them to be..
  • Stoke wrote: »
    Is it just the links scratched or is the watch face scratched too?

My TAG is in its 11th year - the "glass" is crystal and almost impossible to mark, mine is still like new.
  • Bollotom
    Bollotom Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post
    One wonders if said supplier had been obtuse and refused any replacement would the OP be as happy with himself and dismissive of criticism he didn't seem to enjoy despite asking for opinions. But I am happy that the OP is happy, now. :cool:
  • ess0two wrote: »
    I paid 3k for a Longines watch,suffice to say it got inspected in every minute detail before parting with the cash.
    The words 'money' and 'sense' spring immediately to mind.
  • oatybiscuit
    edited 25 July 2014 at 11:43PM
    Bollotom wrote: »
    One wonders if said supplier had been obtuse and refused any replacement would the OP be as happy with himself and dismissive of criticism he didn't seem to enjoy despite asking for opinions. But I am happy that the OP is happy, now. :cool:

Hi Bollotom - not at all being dismissive, just conveying my opinion of how things should be - as I see the world. I respect others' opinion but that does not mean I have to agree ;)

Having said that I don't believe in living in my own little bubble so believe me in the future I'll be checking my similar purchases to the nth degree :)
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite

The words "poor", and "jealous" spring to mind.

This is where you reply, stating that actually, actually you drive a McLaren F1 and live in a £2million mansion, it's just that spending £3k on a watch (on a watch!) is beyond the pale.

Yeah, right. Everyone knows why people like you can't handle people like us spending real money on fripperies. :rotfl:
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic

The words "what people spend their hard earned on is nobody else's business but theirs" spring immediately to mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure