PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square To Give Your Share 2009!

Comments

• k2tog
    k2tog Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Plea to clued-up hat knitters!
    Prob me being stupid (or lrge glass of Baileys!) but am confused about the vent hat pattern on preemies uk- it says to use 10mm and 8mm needles but they're HUGE! Have I fallen down the conversion gap or something?
    In confusion have started super stretchy hat instead but would like to broaden my knitting horizons and try the vent hat in future.
    Please be gentle if I'm missing something really obvious!

:confused:
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all. Hope you all have a good Sunday.

Nat82 - thank you so much for your kind words. It's great to 'meet' someone who has connections with Loving Hands, and also to hear how appreciative your Special Care baby unit is of the baby items. We really appreciate the valuable work you do, too, taking care of babies who need that extra bit of help. It must be an emotional but rewarding job.

K2tog - I'm a bit mystified by your post! Is it the hat or the needles that are huge? Here is a conversion chart http://www.laughinghens.com/knitting-needle-sizes.asp - I hope it helps but, if not, let us know whether or not it's the hat or the needles that are the problem and we should be able to help.

Kathy

LATEST UPDATE:

Shazrobo
    1 vent hat

Pippa.S
    1 cardi

Mioliere
    1 STC hat

Shezmit
    2 sleeping bags
    2 buntings
    2 teddies

Jellybeans
    2 baby hats

TOTALS SO FAR (Vent, STC and all baby hats will be counted together under 'Baby hats' if everyone's happy with that?)

Baby hats: 4, Cardies: 1, Sleeping Bags: 2, Buntings: 2, Teddies: 2
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    A Very Happy and Prosperous New Year To Everyone
    and Congratulations on all your great knitting totals :j:j

HappyNewYear-1.gifknitting_sheep_small.JPG

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • k2tog wrote: »
    Plea to clued-up hat knitters!
    Prob me being stupid (or lrge glass of Baileys!) but am confused about the vent hat pattern on preemies uk- it says to use 10mm and 8mm needles but they're HUGE! Have I fallen down the conversion gap or something?
    In confusion have started super stretchy hat instead but would like to broaden my knitting horizons and try the vent hat in future.
    Please be gentle if I'm missing something really obvious!

:confused:

Hi k2tog, I was puzzled by that pattern at first too, then I realised (hopefully correctly) that it was a typo and you use number 10 needles (3.5mm) for the rib, then number 8 needles (4mm) for the rest of the hat.

I had a marathon knitting session yesterday, along with watching all of season 5 of Angel with my sister, many hours on the sofa lol :o but I managed to make 2 teddies for tragedies in that time :D
    Loving knitting for the Wooligans! :j my totals:

Jellybeans
    22 baby hats ; 3 Teddies for Tragedies ; 15 buntings ; 9 boobs ; 2 baby blankets ;
    8 Innocent Smoothie hats ; 2 Scarves ; 4 Adult hats ; 6 Aaron squares ; 12 hedgehogs
  • I'm just posting here, so I can find it later on.

My mother has dementia but still knits, I'm going to get her knitting squares and some premmie clothes as this will give her something to focus on, and give her a purpose to her days.

I look forward to posting her achievements soon.
  • k2tog
    k2tog Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Thankyou Jellybeans!

I'm easily confused................
  • nat82
    nat82 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    It is very rewarding but we couldn't do it without all those cardis to keep the little ones cosy!!!!!
  • 2cats1kid
    2cats1kid Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Hi all, posted on the 2008 thread and then never did anything (shame on me). I was put off a bit by cardis and such as I need to do things that require little or no concentration as I don't get that much spare time normally. I'm currently knitting a blanket (most likely for DD's bed) in strips using up a lot of scraps, but after that will join in here. I notice you now need 7" squares which will be perfect for me - I can even keep a square in the car for when I'm waiting for DD to come out of school etc. and do it in odd moments.

As Arnie once famously said, I'll be back.
  • shazrobo
    shazrobo Posts: 3,313 Forumite
    can you add 3 vent hats to my totals please
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)
  • shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    1 knitted scarf

thankyou
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure