Anyone got a fish smell??

2»

Comments

• Tra77
    Tra77 Posts: 309 Forumite
    I have the same smell that has just appeared and seems to be coming from my Aldi Delta microwave oven (which I very rarely use). It smells quite strong near the back (where the vents and such are) as opposed to inside the appliance itself (so nothing I have cooked in it!). However, on reading this thread it's now got me thinking as my imersion heater switch and double plug socket (for fridge-freezer & microwave) in housed behind this.
    @//(*_*) 'MoneySavingExpert' - It costs nothing to say thanks! @//(*_*)
  • we had a fish smell too once - turned out to be damp in the floorboards coming in from next door (semi detatched). Some fungi give off a fishy odour too so don't assume it's the electrics
    2013 wins: March - book,
  • Thank you so much for the posts that led me to check my outlets following a really bad fish smell everytime we used the microwave. We found a burning outlet inside the wall! It has been burning for over a week, all the steel wires in the outlet were melted. So, I feel like you probably saved our lives with this information!! I thought it was a bad microwave!
    How useful to know that fish smell can mean you have an electrical fire brewing in your walls, so check your outlets!!
    God Bless You and thank-You!!!!
    Debras5538
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Anyone any wiser on a smell from central heating more a BO type of smell - It is seems to be coming from either radiator, window or blind but everyone I ask says they cant smell it - It is driving me mad!!
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • Mandles
    Mandles Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    debras5538 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the posts that led me to check my outlets following a really bad fish smell everytime we used the microwave. We found a burning outlet inside the wall! It has been burning for over a week, all the steel wires in the outlet were melted. So, I feel like you probably saved our lives with this information!! I thought it was a bad microwave!
    How useful to know that fish smell can mean you have an electrical fire brewing in your walls, so check your outlets!!
    God Bless You and thank-You!!!!
    Debras5538
    So glad to have helped. That was really worrying. So glad you found it in time.
  • wolfehouse wrote: »
    We had a fishy smell for months and blamed it on our poor teenage daughter, until smoke started pouring out of the circuit board cupboard. i didn't know circuit breaker boards could 'blow'. now that i'm wiser, i would check out everything electrical before accusing the poor hormone ridden crowd of bad hygeine.

:eek: Your poor daughter!
  • We got a fishy smell coming from the main circuit board when we use the shower downstairs, had a sparkie come round and have a look at it and he could find nothing wrong.
    I hate migraines.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    As a retired electrician, I can say that the smell of overheated insulation is unmistakeable. Once you have smelled it, you never forget it, and you always hunt down the cause, because that smell is never good news.
    IF YOU FIND A HOT PLUG, IT IS NOT A SAFETY FEATURE. IT IS A FAULT.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family