PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Didn't declare tax on rental income

Comments

• Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ring them or write to them. Despite the stereotypes, they are extremely friendly.

If you only have one BTL and your accounts are simple, you should be able to deal with them yourself.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you only have one BTL and your accounts are simple, you should be able to deal with them yourself.

I'm not sure this is great advice. Admittedly, I'm not an expert but I have seen references to there being 2 ways to run a BTL - either as self-employed or via a Ltd company. The structure can have quite an impact on the amount of tax you pay I think. I reckon a bill for a few hundred quid could end up saving you a packet as well as giving you peace of mind.
  • ajaxgeezer
    ajaxgeezer Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    I wonder how many other BTL's don't pay Tax on their Income - quite a few I should imagine. Even if the BTL isn't making a profit, they should still be filling in a Tax return. How many (the new breed of Landlord in particular) have thought about this?

... Indeed Trev, I fully agree. There is a view that income under £2500 needn't be self-assessed if the landlord is on PAYE, but my attitude towards it was to register straight away. If they see you as being as honest as you can then that will smooth the ride out later. The worst thing to do would be to think that you're being clever now, only to have them trawling through everything you do at a later date. Be upfront with them and they are surprisingly helpful.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Generali wrote:
    I'm not sure this is great advice. Admittedly, I'm not an expert but I have seen references to there being 2 ways to run a BTL - either as self-employed or via a Ltd company. The structure can have quite an impact on the amount of tax you pay I think. I reckon a bill for a few hundred quid could end up saving you a packet as well as giving you peace of mind.

I'd be interested in more info.

It may be the CGT that is impacted. If so, I'll employ a tax accountant tomorrow.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • hungary97_2
    hungary97_2 Posts: 92 Forumite
    dont panic

This happens all the time i am both ex Revenue and an tax accountant and i have lost count of the times i have had to do 6 years returns for someone that has recently had a call from the Revenue as someone has dobbed them in.

The Revenue are pretty good as normally it is fairly small amounts with new Buy to letters and as the IR computer system is rubbish you may not even get fines for earlier years.

I would reccomend getting an accountant for a basic set of accounts and tax return you shouldnt need to pay more than £200 and i promise they are bound to be able to reduce your bill by more than that if you do it. The advantage of using an accountant is that the know how much expenses they can estimate without drawing your return to the revnues attention for an enquiry especially important as you have not kept your reciepts.

Two allowances you may not of thought of is use of home as office and wear and tear allowance. On an average rental income of £6000 per year claiming these would save enough tax to ofset your accountants fees.

Personally unless your rental income is massive 20-30k a year (and depndant on other income) i would not even entertain setting up a company as admin charges would cost more than setting it up.

hope this helps
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hungary97 wrote:
    i would not even entertain setting up a company as admin charges would cost more than setting it up.

I'm definitely not getting into an argument with an accountant over tax! However, setting up my Limited Company cost me about £100 or something through my accountants although it would have been more if I wanted to chose my own name for it.
  • hungary97_2
    im not argueing with either unfortunately recently i have had a number of clients come to me where a certain accountancy firm which has recommended that all there clients become companies and they have ended up paying more tax. If you have set up the company for £100 without your name it would have only cost the firm a small amount and they have made a big prodit in percentage terms.

The intial setting up amount is relatively cheap it is the administration, accounts, tax returns, and tax that could work out more and gone are the days of the 0 percent band.

as i have said it does depend on your other income and profit and also the CGT implications. I know the firm i used to work for would not consider it if profits were under 30K and complicated comparrisons needed to be done.

For anyone thinking about it Setting up a company should not be done without the advice from an accountant.
  • Matt1069
    Matt1069 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I wonder how many other BTL's don't pay Tax on their Income - quite a few I should imagine. Even if the BTL isn't making a profit, they should still be filling in a Tax return. How many (the new breed of Landlord in particular) have thought about this?

Is there an amount I'm allowed to make before i have to start paying tax, as a brand new LL (exchanged contracts with my new tenants last week) myself thats employed, I'll admit I'm not making that much profit at all per month, its pure long term investment for me, just wondered if theres an allowance per year, after maintenance that'll no doubt start soon, i prob won't be making anything, i assume I'll still have to prove/declare it but was just wondering about any allowance?

Thanks
  • Gorgeous_George
    10% for wear and tear (furnished lettings only I think).
    Mileage at 40p per mile
    Stationery
    Mortgage interest (subject to certain rules)

Must be loads more but things such as DG or other home improvements only qualify against CGT, so I believe.

My profit in 05/06 was just over £100. This year I'll make a loss.

Oddly, there is no tax-free amount. I say oddly because there is if you only rent a room in your main residence.

GG
  • hungary97_2
    not that im trying to sell my prefession but this is where your friendly accountatn is needed.

Some repairs renewals are deductable against rental income some are not it depensa on the nature of each one and it is a very grey area when i was in the industry it was not uncommon for five of us t argue for two hours whether we thought someting was capital (CGT) or Revenue (income tax) deductable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure