Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 95Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Bank Mail going to Incorrect Address
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    Bank Mail going to Incorrect Address 29th Sep 17 at 11:37 AM
    Hi All,

I changed address around six months ago and duly updated by bank records. I noted that no bank documents were coming my way, then on a separate subject I had a complaint with the bank and their written responses were not coming to me. It appears all my mail was sent to my original address and has either went missing or been scrapped/not forwarded by the current occupier.

Some of the information was of quite a sensitive nature and it alarms me that this has went to the incorrect address and possibly been seen by someone else. I have flagged this with the bank who have effectively said "it's not our responsibility and errors occur from time to time". I am not impressed with this response, do I have any rights at all?
Page 1
    • alanq
    • By alanq 29th Sep 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 2,508 Thanks
    alanq
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:26 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:26 PM
    How did you update bank address? Online? Phone? Branch? If bank's fault don't "flag" the issue. raise a written complaint headed as such. If no satisfactory reply escalate to the Ombudsman.

Under Data Protection laws the bank has a duty to keep records accurate. Information Commissioner may also be interested.

You may get a small payment for your inconvenience but if you have not suffered a financial loss that is all.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 29th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    How did you update bank address? Online? Phone? Branch? If bank's fault don't "flag" the issue. raise a written complaint headed as such. If no satisfactory reply escalate to the Ombudsman.

Under Data Protection laws the bank has a duty to keep records accurate. Information Commissioner may also be interested.

You may get a small payment for your inconvenience but if you have not suffered a financial loss that is all.
    Originally posted by alanq
    The address was changed for me in branch.

I would not have thought any financial compensation would be due as this would only be seen as a data protection breach which the bank have already advised is minor.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 29th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    The address was changed for me in branch.

I would not have thought any financial compensation would be due as this would only be seen as a data protection breach which the bank have already advised is minor.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    If they have made a mistake then they'll typically pay you £25-50 for their error.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 29th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    If they have made a mistake then they'll typically pay you £25-50 for their error.
    Originally posted by bigadaj

That would be something, I have contacted them already on the data protection breach, I will outline again it is important.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 29th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    • 7,311 Posts
    • 9,059 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 29th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    Redirection of mail is a service anybody moving home should pay for.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 89,943 Posts
    • 56,646 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    Redirection of mail is a service anybody moving home should pay for.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    That is such a no brainer as you usually end up forgetting something.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 29th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    The bank have just reiterated the above and advised they cannot be held responsible for letters going to old addresses as errors happen and I should have got said forwarded to my new address.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 29th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    The bank have just reiterated the above and advised they cannot be held responsible for letters going to old addresses as errors happen and I should have got said forwarded to my new address.
    Well, yeah, they can, it's their mistake if you changed it in branch and it didn't get actioned. While it is a good idea, obviously, to pay for redirection, if you've changed your address with them and they've not updated it then that is still their mistake.

Is this their response to a formal complaint (i.e. have they given you FOS rights in a letter?) If so, it's a bit surprising they've not given you £25 as a bare minimum, not least since a small goodwill payment reduces the chance of you going to FOS and costing them £550 whether they uphold your complaint or not.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 29th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 7,311 Posts
    • 9,059 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Complain to the bank again about their failure to act in your instructions.

Then complain about the oik who gave you the information quoted.

Ask for compensation for each.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 12th Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    The bank have back-tracked a little and issued an apology along with a £75 goodwill gesture, however they have advised this is the maximum I can expect for a data protection breach.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 12th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    The bank have back-tracked a little and issued an apology along with a £75 goodwill gesture, however they have advised this is the maximum I can expect for a data protection breach.
    £75 is quite a good result, and an apology to boot
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 12th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    £75 is quite a good result, and an apology to boot
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Yes and it appears to be the upper limit on a data protection breach too so I am satisfied.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 7,311 Posts
    • 9,059 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Yes and it appears to be the upper limit on a data protection breach too so I am satisfied.
    It's nothing like the upper limit, but a more than reasonable amount for the circumstances you describe where it seems likely nothing malicious has happened.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 12th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    I think what the bank meant was that if I referred it to the ombudsman I would not get more than £75.
    Last edited by Outsider_83; 12-10-2017 at 8:23 PM.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Oct 17, 10:35 PM
    • 24,261 Posts
    • 11,543 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    I think what the bank meant was that if I referred it to the ombudsman I would not get more than £75.
    That is not their call to make!
    Firstly if it went to a formal Ombudsman hearing it would cost them £500 plus their expense of putting their side of the story.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 13th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    The only thing that has disappointed me is that my personal details have went to the incorrect address and subsequently gone missing and the bank never informed me of this.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    eskbanker
    The only thing that has disappointed me is that my personal details have went to the incorrect address and subsequently gone missing and the bank never informed me of this.
    But surely, having made the initial error of failing to process your change of address properly (and assuming the mail wasn't returned to them), they weren't aware that they were sending to an incorrect address so couldn't inform you as they didn't realise there was a problem until you told them six months later?
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 13th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    The change of address apparently occurred correctly on the system, I found out today that some of the letters that went missing were ad hoc and the person who composed them was working off old paper records and did not check the system.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 7,311 Posts
    • 9,059 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    The change of address apparently occurred correctly on the system, I found out today that some of the letters that went missing were ad hoc and the person who composed them was working off old paper records and did not check the system.
    Which bank?

They sound thoroughly backwards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

2,101Users online

Martin's Twitter