can you resurrect a limited company?

Deals_2
Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
what is involved etc? my other half should have gone ltd and i am lookign at whether i take it over but i might want it resurrect as ltd as it once was. thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yeh, essentially most Ltd companies a ressurected companies. Its very rare a 'new' company is created. Get onto companies house and see if its already been taken, you know the company no.?
  • Deals_2
    Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    someone said something about you have to get a court writ or something . thanks in advance!!
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Yeh, essentially most Ltd companies a ressurected companies. Its very rare a 'new' company is created. Get onto companies house and see if its already been taken, you know the company no.?
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

That's not true at all. 3.4 million new companies were formed in the past decade. There are few reasons why anyone would want to restore a company or use someone else's, especially when it's as cheap as £25 or so to form a new one.

For details of restoring a company, have a look at Co House website:-

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/infoAndGuide/faq/strikingOff.shtml
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Pennywise wrote: »
    That's not true at all. 3.4 million new companies were formed in the past decade. There are few reasons why anyone would want to restore a company or use someone else's, especially when it's as cheap as £25 or so to form a new one.

For details of restoring a company, have a look at Co House website:-

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/infoAndGuide/faq/strikingOff.shtml
    It is completely true. I think youll find legally speaking they are not 'new' companies merely companies that have been incorporated. To set up a new company costs considerably more than £25, Most businesses that do company registering buy 000's of dead businesses then simply alter the details to fit the new director and company. This is not a new company

Please dont assume you are correct all the time because on this occasion you are not.
  • heathcote123
    heathcote123 Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2012 at 2:25PM
    It is completely true. I think youll find legally speaking they are not 'new' companies merely companies that have been incorporated. To set up a new company costs considerably more than £25, Most businesses that do company registering buy 000's of dead businesses then simply alter the details to fit the new director and company. This is not a new company

Please dont assume you are correct all the time because on this occasion you are not.

Can't see any of the formation comapanies mentioning that.

Do do they change the company number as well as the directors etc?

Presumably they'd have to to avoid confusion?
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Deals wrote: »
    what is involved etc? my other half should have gone ltd and i am lookign at whether i take it over but i might want it resurrect as ltd as it once was. thanks in advance for any tips.
    This doesn't make sense.
    spadoosh wrote:
    Yeh, essentially most Ltd companies a ressurected companies. Its very rare a 'new' company is created.
    No. 'Resurrecting' a company by reusing the name from a previously dissolved company is usually avoided because of the baggage that usually comes with it. There are also restrictions on reusing a name.
    spadoosh wrote:
    It is completely true. I think youll find legally speaking they are not 'new' companies merely companies that have been incorporated.
    As far as it goes, this is true.

However, they have been ready-made by incorporation agents. That's why they are called 'off the shelf' companies.
    spadoosh wrote:
    ]To set up a new company costs considerably more than £25 ...
    About £150. You can pay a geat deal more, but you would be paying over the odds.
    spadoosh wrote:
    Most businesses that do company registering buy 000's of dead businesses then simply alter the details to fit the new director and company.
    Not dead businesses, No.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • heathcote123
    WhiteHorse wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense.

No. 'Resurrecting' a company by reusing the name from a previously dissolved company is usually avoided because of the baggage that usually comes with it. There are also restrictions on reusing a name.

As far as it goes, this is true.

However, they have been ready-made by incorporation agents. That's why they are called 'off the shelf' companies.

About £150. You can pay a geat deal more, but you would be paying over the odds.

Not dead businesses, No.

it's £40 direct with companies house, and about £250 to resurrect one. So it all seems a bit unlikely.

spadoosh, what makes you think it works this way?, it seems quite illogical.
  • WhiteHorse
    Can't see any of the formation comapanies mentioning that.
    Because that's not what they do.
    Do do they change the company number as well as the directors etc?
    No.

This is how it works ... The incorporation agent creates the company and deals with all the initial paperwork. The company now exists.

As the company must have at least one Director and a Company Secretary (the 'Company Officers'), they will simply be staff at the agents office.

When you buy the company off them, you replace them.

You can do all the paperwork yourself, but it's a pain. That's why incorporation agents are so popular.
  • WhiteHorse
    it's £40 direct with companies house, and about £250 to resurrect one.
    No ... a basic misunderstanding here.

Once a company is dead ('dissolved'), it's really dead. In law, a company is a person.

You can apply to register a new company with the same name (subject to certain restrictions), but you cannot resurrect one.
  • heathcote123
    WhiteHorse wrote: »
    No ... a basic misunderstanding here.

Once a company is dead ('dissolved'), it's really dead. In law, a company is a person.

You can apply to register a new company with the same name (subject to certain restrictions), but you cannot resurrect one.

Seems to say here it can be restored: http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/gbhtml/gp4.shtml

But I do agree it sound like a bunch of hogwash that anyone would buy up thousands of companies to restore. That would just be silly...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure