Fischer Storage Heaters

Comments

• jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    peacock17 wrote: »
    It also makes use of Economy 7 at night...

What % of your annual electricity consumption is at E7 "cheap rate"?
  • peacock17 wrote: »
    Their information says that the construction of the chamotte is mixed with 45% aluminium oxide which heats up quickly, however the heat input to the chamotte is controlled by a room thermostat so it does not heat the room up excessively during the night, it keeps the room at a lower temperature during the night and brings the room temperature up in the morning using Economy 7 thereby making it cheaper to run. This way it allows the heating to be controlled in the room when you need it, especially in the evenings. Something you could never achieve with the old night storage heaters. The night storage heaters waste a lot of their heat between the hours of 3am to 7am when nobody's using the room, surely that doesn't make sense. With the rising energy prices, no one can afford to waste energy like that.

Thanks peacock17, I'm a bit confused though, can you explain how it will save me 50-60% electricity like their pdf says please.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2011 at 9:49PM
    peacock17 wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea how this system works. The night storage heaters is a RADIANT heater and it radiates even on the opposite side, so if you install it on an external wall you lose some of the heat on the outside wall, hence you can only really put them on internal walls, unlike the Fischer heaters which convect by taking the cold air from the floor and heating THROUGH the radiator, hence the design of the flutes. So thereby delivering every kW of heat into the room more efficiently and the temperature is measured away from the radiator. It's simple physics. Oh and also, efficiency is about USING less rather than the price you buy your energy at and I know which one saves you money in the long run. If efficiency wasn't important, why aren't we still using solid fuel central heating systems? There's a lot to be said for the technological design of their radiators.

no .. .. this is radiant or this my friend ! - I think you mean convective ! or storage convective like one of these !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Hi, Sorry to hijack this thread but I felt some clarification is needed.
    The heaters are in fact Radiators in that they radiate heat.
    If you hold your hand 10 cm from the front of the heater surely you can feel the heat being radiated?
    The ROOM though is being heated through CONVECTION as the air being drawn up is heated by RADIATION and then rises to circulate in the room.
    Most modern radiators also use this system.
    With Solar panels the heaters can store the heat during the day cheaply and release at night when most people are less active.
  • jalexa wrote: »
    What % of your annual electricity consumption is at E7 "cheap rate"?

approximately 45-50%
  • broomas wrote: »
    Hi, Sorry to hijack this thread but I felt some clarification is needed.
    The heaters are in fact Radiators in that they radiate heat.
    If you hold your hand 10 cm from the front of the heater surely you can feel the heat being radiated?
    The ROOM though is being heated through CONVECTION as the air being drawn up is heated by RADIATION and then rises to circulate in the room.
    Most modern radiators also use this system.
    With Solar panels the heaters can store the heat during the day cheaply and release at night when most people are less active.

yes quite right you do get radiant heat, however unlike a night storage heater the percentage of convected heat is higher and that is why the Fischer heaters have a wireless room thermostat which measures the temperature of the room AWAY from the radiators
  • Thanks peacock17, I'm a bit confused though, can you explain how it will save me 50-60% electricity like their pdf says please.

i'm a bit confused too, there is no pdf. and information on there website makes no such claims
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 July 2013 at 9:09AM
    [text deleted by MSE Forum Team]

Our low input storage heaters can reduce the energy intake by 50%, compared to the old night storage heaters

Your defence of their product as a user is fine with me, but its based on the same drivel they post - you read - you then reassert with no supporting evidence whatsoever. BTW I assume from the figure of 45/50% split you are retired and at home all day with a room whole house temp of 20C. If your not in the house on an all day basis there is something wrong with your E7 usage.
  • how much did you pay for your peacock?
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2013 at 9:10AM

There are plenty of chartered engineers who have commented on these heaters, and all agree with my view (no wonder, it's a perfectly obvious view). All electric heaters give out the same amount of heat for the same electricity. All heaters using daytime electricity are very expensive to run (and they all have the same ruinning costs for the same heating). They all heat by radiation and convection in different proportions, and some are insulated to allow a time delay of the major part of the heat release (e.g. storage heaters).

People may like the look of these things over electric bar fires, and they may prefer to pay well over a grand for that look (given a good salesman and an ill-informed customer), but they have no advantages over a £5 value heater in terms of heating the room.

Any electric heater you plug into the ring main (i.e. uses daytime electricity) will be horrific in terms of cost (except some types of heat pumps which work on completely different physics)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback