Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Personal opinion is that a 'first come, first served' system stinks. However, if that's the way the company wants to run its holiday allocation system there is nothing you can do about it.
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Personal opinion is that a 'first come, first served' system stinks. However, if that's the way the company wants to run its holiday allocation system there is nothing you can do about it.

Agreed I'm more bothered with my colleagues as long as I'm alright attitude then the booking system itself.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    It's not too long ago that your colleagues were complaining about your attitude towards others, and now you are complaining about someone else's? As others have said, your manager will either allow it as being within policy and acceptable to them, or not. If the former happens it's tough luck. You know what to do next year. But ranting or accusing them of selfish or inappropriate behavior hardly changes anything. Nor does having a go at them. If you are lucky they haven't already complained to the manager about the way you spoke to them. If not you just potentially handed management another concern about your behaviour, not theirs.
  • inglorius wrote: »
    My current çompany have a local rule that no 2 managers can be on leave at the save time, my co manager has been with the business about 6 months and we are asked to book holidays around each other.

The annual holiday planner went up in the office this week, during a casual conversation with my colleague today they mentioned that they had booked off all of the bank holiday weeks from Easter though to August for the year. I casually asked them where are they going for these dates and they said that they hadn't anything arranged but would look at this in the future. I then replied that they therefore effectively had reserved all of the prime holiday dates off for the year without having any plans for any of these dates and found this extremely selfish.

I subsequently complained to my line managers boss about this behaviour and the fact that they had condoned it but they did not offer any support to resolve this situation. I was looking for thoughts please, I have no issue with the company holiday policy but the distinction between booking a holiday and block reserving all of the years prime holiday dates.

So when you acquired this colleague who you have to work with to ensure you are not off at the same time did you have a conversation with them about it? In your shoes I would have had one.

I might have missed it if you have answered but is it a "first come, first served" policy? If it is, then, unfortunately, you have lost out due to inaction.

I was listening to a radio prog the other day and they were outlining how you could stretch out your holiday entitlement using the BH method so it goes on in a lot of workplaces I suspect.
  • inglorius
    So when you acquired this colleague who you have to work with to ensure you are not off at the same time did you have a conversation with them about it? In your shoes I would have had one.

I might have missed it if you have answered but is it a "first come, first served" policy? If it is, then, unfortunately, you have lost out due to inaction.

I was listening to a radio prog the other day and they were outlining how you could stretch out your holiday entitlement using the BH method so it goes on in a lot of workplaces I suspect.

How would you consider the action of block booking all the choice holiday date's for the entirety of the year without having a discussion first I know my opinion but am after other people's opinions.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What leave dates did you take last year? Any of the BH weeks?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • inglorius
    What leave dates did you take last year? Any of the BH weeks?

I took one Bank Holiday week at Easter the person in question took August Bank Holiday.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Bank holidays are included in statutory.

Remember your manager could turn around and tell you that you must use your annual leave on specific, non consecutive, days.

Ooops! No, they're not. Statutory annual leave is 20 days with the 8 bank holidays added on top :beer:
  • inglorius
    demiruss wrote: »
    If you snooze, you lose :p Have you got anything planned for these bank holiday dates yourself? If it was me I would just ask them next week if they'd consider alternating them, which is reasonable. If they refused, I'd remember the next time they asked for a favour.

Good idea. If they had booked a couple of Bank Holidays off then fine but to book the whole lot off then tell me afterwards seems a bit underhand. What I found most disapointing was that when I mentioned that this behaviour appears self serving they were totally non plussed.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ooops! No, they're not. Statutory annual leave is 20 days with the 8 bank holidays added on top :beer:

Stat annual leave is 5.6 weeks.

In the OPs case that includes bank holidays. I get 35 days so my bank holidays are almost a bonus :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure