Npower

Options
I have been an npower customer for over 20 years and suddenly completely out of the blue I received a letter from a debt collection company for a gas account that I had at a different property 6 years ago! Not only is it a gas bill but they have added £160 for the priviedge of sending the letter. I have no idea why they have suddenly mailed me and even less idea why npower put it in the hands of debt collectors when they have always had my contact details.

I have contacted both parties but neither seemed forthcoming about the outstanding amount or the involvement of a debt collection agency.

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell the debt agency that you require proof of the debt in the form of a final bill detailing the reason for the charges.
    Suspect that it could due to a disagreement over your closing readings for the previous property and the next occupants opening readings. Was it rented ?If so, it could be that the landlord has pointed NPower at you for the between occupant's charge rather than settle them himself. OR the next occupants have fiddled their opening reading.
    Either way you need a fully detailed bill!
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RussellBln wrote: »
    I have been an npower customer for over 20 years and suddenly completely out of the blue I received a letter from a debt collection company for a gas account that I had at a different property 6 years ago! Not only is it a gas bill but they have added £160 for the priviedge of sending the letter. I have no idea why they have suddenly mailed me and even less idea why npower put it in the hands of debt collectors when they have always had my contact details.

I have contacted both parties but neither seemed forthcoming about the outstanding amount or the involvement of a debt collection agency.

Hi RussellBln

I'd like the opportunity to look into this for you; please email me at the address on my profile.

Thanks

Jade :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • RussellBln
    RussellBln Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 7:14PM
    Options
    Hi Jade,

Thanks for responding.

I emailed Npower Executive complaints on Monday but have not even received an acknowledgement of that email. I also spoke to a customer services adviser on Tuesday and gave him all the details but have not heard anything back. He told me Npower would send an email to the debt collector company from their "closed collection department". When I contacted the debt collection agency I was told they would put a 2 weeks hold on the matter in the hope of hearing from Npower.

I am at a complete loss as to why after 6 YEARS from a previous address, when I have continued to be an Npower customer for electricity only and Npower have always had my contact details, I suddenly receive a letter from a debt collection company and to add insult to injury they have added a "fee" of £160 for the privilege of sending me a letter!!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've moved your thread from the 'Water Bills' section back to the 'Energy' main board.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chasing a Six year old debt ?

No matter if this claim is justified or not, if it's over six years old even by one day and this is the first you have heard about it, it's legally out of time for anyone to try to collect the debt
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Options
    Hi RussellBln

I'd like the opportunity to look into this for you; please email me at the address on my profile.

Thanks

Jade :)

Hi Jade

I was about to transfer my dual fuel energy account to nPower, as you are a bit cheaper than my present supplier. However, your company has simply awful reviews for customer service. And this is the second customer I have read about just today who has had a bill right out of the blue after six years.

Can you honestly advise me to transfer?

:eek:
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • jenpen007
    Options
    Hi I had a similar problem last week receiving a letter from the debt collection company on behalf of Npower relating to an electric bill from a property I used to own 18 months ago. I spoke to the debt company and spoke to Npower and I have registered a complain and got a reference number from NPower. In my case it looks like the meter readings (I had economy 7) have been recorded the wrong way round by either Npower or the new owners. I will give then 2 weeks to respond to me about this issue. Speak to someone in the home move department if you can. Good luck I hope you (and I) can get our issues resolved.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    Avoid Npower at all costs.

I had a very simple dispute that ended up about a faulty meter in a second home which was replaced and certified faulty (registering usage when supply was switched off) and a relatively simple set of issues ended up with me having to take them to county court (and winning) even though they sent a barrister. They even managed to lose their records AND deny we'd communicated. How can you know when you've lost all your records. Must have cost them thousands.

They are inapable of managing simple issues as so many of their customers are saying with both words and their feet.

AVOID or REGRET! :D
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    @ RussellBln
    Go back to your post #4 & remove your telephone number ASAP
    HTH
    2357 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm currently fighting to get my bill recalculated.
    I switched to them mid jan and provided opening readings. Just after switching the property sold so I provided final readings on completion day. I had the account with them for just 50 days and they have sent a bill for £163 for property which was unoccupied, there wasn't even a fridge plugged in yet they are charged £109 for electricity and £54 for gas.
    When I queried this a representative gave me the readings I provided that are on record and correct but they've used their own estimated (made up) readings for both opening and closing the account.
    To make matters worse they also provided their invented readings to my old supplier meaning I was also overcharged on my final bill to them.
    Waiting now for an answer from them and hopefully they will rectify but they've put themselves on my list of companies I will never deal with again after this fiasco.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure