PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going part time at work

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :TGood luck

I am on my own since my hubby died suddenly last year. I work 16 hours and am 54. I don't have a mortgage, as my dd 1 paid off the small amount left, which I really appreciated. My council tax is now single person, so 25% off.
    I'm still hoping to stay part time, I only work in a store so not big money. I've always shopped around for best deals etc. I'm trying to not buy new clothes, and keep an eye on supermarket spends, I'm not good at doing spreadsheets so have just wrote how much I've spent on the calendar. I'm not going to the sm every week, I last went on 4th Jan. I'm due to go tomorrow, I make a list, and try to keep to essentials only.
    I don't run a car, and I'm not sure I'll be able to holiday, but I'm going to try and stay part time, after what happened with hubby, it certainly focuses the mind that life is for living, and work is necessary but not worth damaging your health for.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I think this is doable for many if there are two of you and no mortgage to pay.

Yes I was going to add that proviso, we did pay our mortgage off 5 years ago, by wiping out our savings

So whilst we don't have a mortgage, we also don't have any savings to talk about either so what we save in repayments , we are trying to squirrel away for our old age :)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How old a teenager is teenage son? If 13, he can't pay his way much, if 17 or so, could he get a p-time job alongside any studies, so he could start paying for some of his own personal costs?

My 17yo can eat me out of house and home. :eek: and claims there's 'nothing in' if there aren't any 'ready to munch' on items in the cupboards/fridge. Yesterday was one such day as I hadn't gone grocery shopping. However a leek and potato soup and a Thai green curry with prawns all made from ingredients already in the house, some desperate to be used up and all was well. ;)

You'll def notice a difference if you start shopping at the budget supermarkets. It can be a learning curve at first, as there's less choice and more unfamiliar brands, but stick with it. I dislike when I've forced to do a main shop at one of the bigger names now.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I absolutely loved working part time, three days a week. Having Tuesday and Thursday off was enough to recharge my batteries, I could keep on top of the housework, cook, go out during the weekdays as it was quieter - or just potter about. I was probably more active seven days a week but I wasn't tired - I slept really well, too.

Had I been given the choice, I would have chosen either Friday or Monday for one day off, as that would have meant I had three days off in a row and could have gone away for long weekends more easily, but if I had the opportunity again, I'd take even a cut of one day a week like a shot.

Working shortened hours over five days was still better than fulltime, but not quite as relaxing.

You save a lot of money not having to fund as much in the way of work clothes (you can wash them on your day(s) off, rather than buy more), travel, as long as you aren't still having to buy a travelcard, lunches and from being too tired to cook or shop.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys! So relieved and happy to hear positive tales!! I'm only 35years old and lots of people I know are suggesting that I'm too young to be part time... but I have polycystic kidney disease and high blood pressure (linked directly to the PKD) so going part time from a job in Children's services is a necessary evil to be honest - I figured relieve stress naturally = less medication required = less strain from medication on my kidneys :beer:

I do feel bad for my hubby though... he isn't happy in his job (pay is okay but they treat him like cr*p) and I worry about him ending up resenting me a bit for being part time etc :(
    I went PT for the sake of my health back in 1994, when I was 34; went from doing a 37 hour week to 25 hours, I was still working 5 days, but only 5 hrs per day.
    Then we moved house, further from my work, and I had to change to 3 full days + a half day to save on petrol.
    I finally (1997) transferred within the Civil Service to a post within walking distance of my (new) home, but they'd only take me if I went back to full time (37 hr week). The upshot was I was signed off sick in November 1999, and never went back, finally being granted medical retirement in mid 2001 at the age of 41.

What I would do is start living as if you were on your reduced income *now*; that way when you have to manage on less, you'll have had a bit of practise.

Tbh, if it's go PT and retain some control over your health vs stay doing lots of hours and your health deteriorates til you can't work; surely your DH would prefer you do the former? :o

Good luck. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You have one life, so live it.

I too, dropped days. As a Civil Servant in 2012, I went from 37 hours to 32 over four days. I have m.e and fibromyalgia. At the same time, I was in the middle of a dmp. I was really concerned as to how we would manage financially but as my DH pointed out, I would be working one day less a week, one day less of packed lunch and sorting clothes out for work but furthermore would gain one day of my life back.

I finished the dmp in 2014 which was good but my health has been getting worse. The job I do, which I love - but don't like the office politics that go with it - was getting busier. It got to the stage where I had no energy so back in 2016, I dropped to 24 hrs over 3 days. I spent the first year filling my extra day off with shopping and jobs around the house - I think this was partly out of guilt to be honest.

My DH and I, have 'the talk' about twice a year, where I mention I'm worried about money but he very sensibly reassures me that I'm worrying unnecessarily. I think my worry is borne from having spent 11yrs on a DMP. I don't know why I beat myself up so much because I've not missed a bill, shop around for the best deal and my utilities are at the best rate they can be.

In terms of food shopping, I used to shop at Aldi a lot and when my DMP was paid off, eased off a bit but I can see this was a bad move as I don't get as much in my basket as I do in Aldi, so I'm back to concentrating on going back there. This has been eased by my purchase of The Savvy Shoppers Cookbook by Amy Shepherd. I'm not a lover of cook books because I usually only find one or two recipes I like, but with this one, I've found quite a few that I've gone back to. She bases her recipes on simple food that is healthy and wholesome, and a lot can be frozen which is good for the days I'm struggling. She also ensures that the ingredients can be bought from Aldi/ Lidl so that you aren't having to buy what can feel like 67million ingredients, to only use some of them once. This is one book that it is worth buying.

In terms of takeaway, we would have one takeaway a week but our local takeaway has been shut for 3 months now and its open day seems to be getting further away. During that time, I've learnt how to cook fried rice from the The Takeaway Secret cookbook. DH says that he prefers my fried rice to the takeaways so that's good and it means we save money. I just make things like fish curry (frozen whitefish from Iceland - 7pcs in a bag) and some Maykway curry powder or I use the Sainsburys 50p Sweet and Sour sachets, which are enough for two people so my takeaway is coming in well under the price of the shop.

I meal plan. Have always done monthly after cross checking what I have in the cupboard and basing the next months recipes around what is left. I try to ensure that the staples for 28-30 evening meals are in the cupboards/ freezer and then each week I will top up with milk, bread and fruit/veg. I have been rigidly sticking to my list and this month for instance have only spent £153 (this includes kitchen towel, loo roll, soap, shampoo) so I'm well pleased that I'm refusing to cave in to the special offers.

In terms of around the house, l've minimised some stuff (not that I had a lot dotted around anyway) but it's now much easier for me to clean and get around.

In terms of laundry, I get 2 days out of tops and trousers - it's not like I work in a dirty job as I am office based, so this eases up the load on ironing etc.

I've been on these boards for years, mainly as a lurker, but for your own peace of mind and health, I can honestly say that on days when I think 'ooh heck what have I done' (which I admit to last week when I was looking at other family members with new shiny purchases from the sales), my DH reminds me that they are having to get up 5 days a week to do be able to buy that and where does it get them? I know where he's coming from but I can't help but wish every now and again that I could just go out and make a few rash clothing purchases. Heavens knows why I think like this - I now hate clothes shopping !!!! When my sensible head is put on (a bit like Worzel Gummidge, changing heads), I know that I have nice life. I go to work three days a week and that's it. I get paid a decent wage and as we are sensible and careful with our money, it allows me to work 3 days per week. DH now works 4 days per week (he is on minimum wage btw) and has a 3-4 hr round commute each day but he never complains, even on days I feel guilty being at home whilst he is going out in the cold and coming home in the cold. As he reminds me, far better that I have time to rest up and recharge my batteries than have no batteries and energy at all.

Sorry for long post but hope this helps. x
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Support from your OH is crucial. You need to be on the same page, if this is the case you’ll find your quality of life will soar.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am in 4th year of 21 hours a week over Wednesday to Friday and loving it we was in position to pay majority off our mortgage off when we was both made redundant from previous jobs in 2010/11 and since then paid off fully we still save as enjoy holidays but as Suki said I have more time to look for a bargain. I shop at lidls/Aldi's with a list and menu plan. I wear dresses to work with woolly tights in winter find these don't need washing as much as separates . We grow veggies hit and miss still a learning curve for us, still help out with grandchildren with swimming lessons in preparation now for fully retiring in 3 years DH still works full time he would like to downsize hours but not an option in his present job so he has decided to carry on full time for next 3 years too squirrelling away as much as we can for retirement.
    Frugal challenge 2024

• Mademoiselle
    Options
    I was lucky to be able to give up work when kids were younger due to a big lifestyle change (moved out of UK). Then when I wanted it went part time. I now work Tue, wed & thur and have a bit of flexibility and much less work during school holiday. Absolutely love it! OH too as it means that when he has time off it is for him or us. He never takes a day off to wait for the gas man or whatever. Weekends are our time not spent catching up like it was when we both worked full time. Plenty of time for kids too who are now studying away but still regularly say 'mum can you do such and such for me'. You definitely save money as not paying for as many services, take aways, ready meals and can take advantages of special offers eg cheap meat for 1 day only or similair.
    Quality over quantity everytime. Life is for living.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am very envious (not of the ill health reasons obvs) of people who could find part time work or reduce their hours, I wasn't able to.

I very much wanted to work p-time when the kids were younger. I had my elderly Nan I helped out with and a husband who works away with no set pattern. Unfortunately where I live, the p-time jobs weren't within the hours I could find childcare for and the Mon-Fri 9-5 p-time jobs barely existed. Unless you work within the public sector or can negotiate after maternity, neither of which applied to me, they barely exist here.

I found one once but that went from 13 hours to 30 within 15 months and I was still the only part-time worker there. The place closed down after I'd been there 18 months. After 6 months out of work I found an ad-hoc job instead and did that as an alternative to not finding part-time for 3.5 years, then they had a re-structure (and kept me in the dark about it), so another 6 months out of work, by which time it was affecting my mental health, so I applied and got a full-time job and 18 months on here I still am. I think I like my f-time wages too much now to think about looking for a part-time one - kids are teenagers now and Nan in a nursing home so little reason for me to take one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure