EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,205
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 3:55PM
    Shhh.....Kitchen.....should be done by tonight bar some snagging bits. Don't tell everyone though or it might not happen! :rotfl:

The fridge went in yesterday and we're hoping the old one is in the garage by now waiting to be collected by the charity along with the old dishwasher. the new fridge JUST fitted - warning to all who are considering ever buying a fridge - double check ALL the measurements that are given as the door hinge on this one made it slightly higher than it's meant to be!

AO have indeed refunded the other one and I happily tweeted singing their praises yesterday - the refund went onto the credit card the same day they collected the other fridge - I'm very impressed. So with the refund on that, and the discount code I found for the new fridge, there's only £36 extra to pay for it - we can deal with that! I'm still waiting on the refund for the two bits I returned from my mega bra-purchasing exercise but hopefully that will be in by the time the card needs sorting.

Few oddments on prolific - currently £6.30 payable and £2.55 pending.
    2 x Populus live surveys yesterday at £3 each - one of them was on beer - I suspect they may be surprised by the technical level of my comments at the end, where I basically told them their survey was talking nonsense... :D I'm at 41 points on there now so not too far off pay-out.
    Got a YouGov and some Power Of Opinions to work through too.

Pasta bolognese tonight and the freezer swap over last night turned up some lamb meatballs I forgot we had so those will be added to the meal plan for next week I think. I've also got stacks of fish & seafood at the moment so tomorrow night will be a thai style fish stew/curry. Yum! That'll use a dollop of the very out of date green curry paste from the fridge too. It wasn't growing anything last time I looked, but if it is there's half a jar of equally out of date red curry paste instead so all will be well... :rotfl:

Hat didn't get purchased as MrEH says I can use an old straw one of his which he's replaced - it always suited me better than him anyway. Did buy a pair of black cropped trousers and a vest top in a rather lovely dark purple though - £16 spent but I do have to face that I'm needing clothes at the moment - everything I own is too big! :o

Next stop this weekend is "the big one" - the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford - and I can't WAIT! It WILL be spendy - that I know, but it will also be worth every penny of that spendiness. Tickets are bought and accommodation is with a friend so that helps - I'll treat her to dinner one night as a thank you for that. My bestie is there with some chaps from his squadron which will be ace - last time he was there was 2014 when he was still with the Reds so it will be a bit odd for him! His Mum & Dad are going on Sunday too and his brother & SIL - who are about the only members of his family I've never met so it'll be nice to meet them at last. :T

*edit* £42 bra credit winging its way to my credit card! Hurrah!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Finally caught up. Hoping the kitchen was finished without any further snags. I'm going to have a nosy and see if there are any photos anywhere... :)
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Hope the kitchens done :p

and you've had a lovely weekend :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,835
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Hope kitchen is done :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • EssexHebridean
    Forumite
    The Kitchen is....

...DONE!!!!

Well - aside a few odds and ends - but in real terms, it's pretty much there. Got a couple of shelves to go up and another light, and the cover over the meter cabinet needs doing yet. We've got to cut down the second blind so that can go up over the door, and we need to get a snagging list together but it's such a relief to be able to start using it properly again - even if at the moment it really doesn't feel like our kitchen! :rotfl:

Gradually starting to get stuff from the garage back in to the kitchen now - and the old Fridge Freezer and dishwasher were collected yesterday by the charity shop. We'll do a tip-run at the weekend with the last bits of rubbish and then I'm hoping to be able to get *shock horror* the car back in the garage again...!

Oddments still to buy but they were in the budget - so far new kettle and rubbish/recycling bin have been acquired, and I've got a new spice rack which will fit on the inside of the larder door on order too - the only spice racks were either wall mounted or freestanding and we really don't have the space to put them now, or simply don't want them out cluttering the worktops up. Oh new washing up bowl too - £2 from Tesco, and some bargainous utensil pots as well - £1.50 for one for the washing up brushes etc, £2 for a snazzy looking brushed steel one to sit out on the counter and £2.50 for a "utility" plastic one that sits in the pull out unit and takes tin openers and other short stuff. :T

Weekend at the airshow was FAB! Lots of wandering, plenty of time spent with friends and in spite of buying my friend I was staying with dinner on Saturday night I still came home with money left over. Actually not all that spendy at all this year - I opted for the approach of taking crisps and cereal bars from home - then started each day with a cuppa and a bacon sarnie and just had snacks the rest of the day. I made sure I had a full water bottle for each day too as it's stuff like buying drinks that makes the costs mount up.

This week I've got RAF Marham Families day on Thursday (with my bestie and his family again) and then myself and two other friends are off up to Sunderland airshow friday night and Saturday. I'm staying over in Lincoln Thursday night - might meet up with some pals for a pub dinner but not sure yet. After that everything calms down for a while as the display teams take their "mid season break". Phew!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    Forumite
    Just remembered that the DD has gone across to the 0% card so have updated my signature - and the amount gone now has a "4" at the beginning" Woop!

Found out this morning that Tesco are discontinuing our "ClubCard Plus" that we've used so happily for years. Sadly I found out via a shared post on FB rather than, as I would have hoped, a letter from Tesco Bank saying "Sorry but we've got to do this..." Apparently they're not even bothering to transfer it to a standard current account with them - they're just closing it. I'm taking that as "Tesco aren't fussed about having our business any more" and will use it as a good kick to get me to switch the main part of my food shopping elsewhere. As a result though we *will* need to rethink our holiday spending money savings a bit - in the past I've always let money accrue in the CC+ and then withdrawn that as cash when we go away - so we'll need to come up with a new plan. It will probably be as simple as any surplus in the joint account each month will be split 50/50 and half of it will go to holiday savings. We'll also need to remember that we won;t get the same level of ClubCard vouchers any more so that might make a difference to what we do about things like Good Food Show tickets.
    she/her
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,835
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Glad kitchen is just about done :j
    Boo to Tesc0. Sums it up really.
    Must close my CC.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Essex - thanks or posting about Clubcard Plus.

I have this type of account and have also had nothing. I will go and hunt down the Facebook post and see when it comes into effect.

I would like to think they will post out new clubcards to us all but we will probably have to request one.

It was only in May that I got my new card as the old one had expired - what a waste.
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,047
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    They're sending new Clubcards to everyone anyway, they've gone contactless. Mine arrived on Monday.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Yay to the kitchen must feel amazing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family