PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying my Grandmothers home.

Options

Comments

• maccaz21
    maccaz21 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2018 at 12:52PM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You have no grounds. It sounds like they've done nothing wrong.

They said the property can be sold as auction only, then yes they give wrong information.
    That explains why there's some Chinese Whispers there.
    What the council were saying was that there is a requirement to sell the property at the full market value. That's really only easily established through an auction - especially for a low-value property in poor condition.

Back then somebody from the council come round and valued at £40k. That was the price.
    Which means they must act in her best interests, bearing in mind what she would do if she had capacity.

Depriving her of assets by selling the property below market value through sentiment is not in her best interests.

What would she do? Give it to family for nowt. What you're saying is do what is best for the council. Deprived of her dignity through dementia, yes. Deprived of her assets? She herself has no use for them.
    That's what residential care costs. If you don't like that, then she can move in with you, and you can look after her instead.

I appreciate the answer, it's very informative, thank you very much, but spare me of this. The only way this could happen is we either rap our jobs tomorrow and become unemployed, or take on jobs that don't even pay the bills. .

And the council tax payers of your local area subsidised your free house. Adult social care is a MASSIVE portion of every local authority's budget - around a third in my area.

Not sure what free house you mean.
    But yes, it seems to be shooting up everywhere.
    Sorry, I understand this is not a political forum, but it's all well and good to say "it is what is is, move in with you if you don't like it".

I'm learning first hand and by research, that people are paying their life savings into a grossly expensive system owned by private companies run for a profit. That's what the councils are "subsidising"?

This place has 48 rooms at £2800 a month. £1.6m a year. The nurses and carers are paid buttons, hardly serving gourmet meals and aren't exactly organising extravagant nights on the town,
    This is about taxes, you're right, it's about the council and government not spending in taxes in the right way.

And with that, I'll happily give them as little as possible.

There's a strong argument that your relatives loaned money to your grandmother to renovate the property, so that money should be repaid first, yes.

We shall try at least. Thanks.

Yes, once she can no longer afford to pay for her own care.
  • maccaz21
    Options
    May I ask how much rental income actually gets paid towards care fees?

I am still of the opinion that the council cannot force the sale if there are tenants who in effect provide some of the fees that support your grandmother,although I wonder if they judge the amount from rent to be of too low level.

She is also entitled to retain a portion of savings.
    Presumably she self funded until her assets reached the circa £25k mark and then will be fully funded once assets fall below around £15k.

Yeah, they can't force it from what I'm reading, but they are obviously onto the M+A for payment and know where the money is.

It's about £450 I think. Wasn't even worth doing in hindsight. For the time and cost for renovating it doesn't but much of a dent in the bill.

I understand it £23k limit. Then she's fully funded, I'll look up the £15k figure.
  • maccaz21
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Just to be pedantic, it makes no odds to GM as long as house is sold for more than £38,500 since she won't see those assets so she won't be derived of them ;-)

Anyway I think we are all agreed that best plan is to deduct the £20k loan after selling at a price determined by several sales agents and let the council argue it wasn't a loan.

They are my thoughts.
    If I've learned anything it's when I get to a certain age I'll be selling up and enjoying the fruits of my labour.

Yeah thanks. This is what we will do. Get valuations, sell, pay the bill, then let the council carry on begin.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maccaz21 wrote: »
    In the deferred payment scheme, do the council have the right to send this house to open auction?

AIUI when I arranged a deferred payment scheme for my Dad, it was only offered to cover the period while the house was up for sale.

It wouldn't have been offered if the house was going to be rented out. In that case, the resident or the family would have been expected to cover all the care home fees.

It sounds as if there has been a lot of misunderstanding and/or bad decisions between your M & A and the council and care home.
  • maccaz21
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    AIUI when I arranged a deferred payment scheme for my Dad, it was only offered to cover the period while the house was up for sale.

It wouldn't have been offered if the house was going to be rented out. In that case, the resident or the family would have been expected to cover all the care home fees.

It sounds as if there has been a lot of misunderstanding and/or bad decisions between your M & A and the council and care home.

OK thanks. This I will follow up. M+A were certain they didn't sign anything with regards to DP, but the council reckon they have the document. Only being offered when up for sale is new news.

You couldn't be more right regarding the bad decisions. Clear as mud.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maccaz21 wrote: »
    Back then somebody from the council come round and valued at £40k. That was the price.
    That was a valuation. An educated guess. The market may decide it's worth more, or they may decide it's worth less. The actual value is set by what a buyer is happy to pay, nobody else.
    What would she do? Give it to family for nowt. What you're saying is do what is best for the council. Deprived of her dignity through dementia, yes.
    You can hardly blame the council for that...
    Deprived of her assets? She herself has no use for them.
    Yes, she does have use for them - she needs to pay for her care and accommodation and food!
    I appreciate the answer, it's very informative, thank you very much, but spare me of this. The only way this could happen is we either rap our jobs tomorrow and become unemployed, or take on jobs that don't even pay the bills. .
    Exactly. Your grandmother needs to pay somebody else to do what you're unwilling to make the time to do for her. Except you don't see why she should pay, either, because that means you don't get a free house. You think your neighbours should to pay to look after her instead.
    Not sure what free house you mean.
    The one you just said your grandmother would give away for free, if she could.
    I'm learning first hand and by research, that people are paying their life savings into a grossly expensive system owned by private companies run for a profit.
    Care homes are going bankrupt hand-over-fist, trying very hard to provide what you're unwilling to provide for your own relative, while conforming to all the legislation. There is a real crisis of lack of provision around the corner. If they were making money hand-over-fist, as you suggest, there would be surplus provision.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    Suggest you get some clear information now. Contact Age UK. They deal with this sort of thing daily, and should be able to offer proper advice, not opinions.
    This is not about anyone's inheritance. It is about doing what is in your grandmother's best interests. Surely it is better for her to be in a place where she is comfortable and properly looked after in her final years?
    Dementia is a horrible disease. I have watched relatives slowly die from it. There is a slim chance that depending on how ill she is, she may be entitled to NHS Continuing Care. This means that the cost of her care is met from the NHS budget, and is not means tested, rather than the Social Care budget, which is means tested.
    However, expect a long battle on this, as budgets everywhere are being squeezed, and the first port of call is always use the assets of the person first to pay for the care. There may also be limitations placed on where the care can be provided to her, and moving her to another home may not be in her best interests either. Best of luck.
  • maccaz21
    Options
    That was a valuation. An educated guess. The market may decide it's worth more, or they may decide it's worth less. The actual value is set by what a buyer is happy to pay, nobody else.

I agree. and if the council valued at £40k and then it was sold for £40k then everyone is happy aren't they. Wouldn't of been a problem.
    You can hardly blame the council for that...

Huh? Nobody has, could or should. Doesn't matter.
    Yes, she does have use for them - she needs to pay for her care and accommodation and food!

The council uses the money. Not her.
    In any case yes, and it's all gone. ££
    Exactly. Your grandmother needs to pay somebody else to do what you're unwilling to make the time to do for her. Except you don't see why she should pay, either, because that means you don't get a free house. You think your neighbours should to pay to look after her instead.

No, not exactly. Change the word unwilling to unable.
    Shouldn't pay? She's paid all of her life savings man, plus her pension, plus rent from the house,... It's all gone. Wiped out.
    Free house? I want buy the house...
    If it was was free I take it in a heartbeat. I make no bones about it.
    Look, who did my Grandmother pay her taxes for all them years?
    Can we argue that her taxes of 50 odd year were partly to pay for care when she's old? If so, how much?
    Who am I paying taxes for now?
    This kind of thing can go on forever.
    Care homes are going bankrupt hand-over-fist, trying very hard to provide what you're unwilling to provide for your own relative, while conforming to all the legislation. There is a real crisis of lack of provision around the corner. If they were making money hand-over-fist, as you suggest, there would be surplus provision.

Unwilling to provide? Again, unable to provide £2800 a month.

A care home who can't look after 50 elderly people on a £1.6m annual budget should go bust. I suspect fat cat management salaries take a nice chunk which are guaranteed regardless of performance.
    There are of course care homes on the LSE paying a yearly dividend. Lovely.

You seem concerned with a budget littered with waste and incompetence.
    If the time comes and you're in my situation, you can sell your own house and give the money to the council to provide for your relative. Your neighbour shouldn't pay.
    This will help society out a lot.
    Even quit your career altogether as you've proposed..
    This isn't mandatory, but I'm sure the councils will accept a donation.

Call my a cynic, but I believe the system is so rotten it wouldn't come out of debt even if care homes didn't exist.
    Something else would push a deficit.

Country is taxed to eyeballs yet we've never had a year out of he red yet. You can throw a tenner at a tsunami if you like but I suggest you go for a pint with it.

We are never going to agree but thanks for the taking the time.
  • maccaz21
    Options
    pinklady21 wrote: »
    Suggest you get some clear information now. Contact Age UK. They deal with this sort of thing daily, and should be able to offer proper advice, not opinions.
    This is not about anyone's inheritance. It is about doing what is in your grandmother's best interests. Surely it is better for her to be in a place where she is comfortable and properly looked after in her final years?
    Dementia is a horrible disease. I have watched relatives slowly die from it. There is a slim chance that depending on how ill she is, she may be entitled to NHS Continuing Care. This means that the cost of her care is met from the NHS budget, and is not means tested, rather than the Social Care budget, which is means tested.
    However, expect a long battle on this, as budgets everywhere are being squeezed, and the first port of call is always use the assets of the person first to pay for the care. There may also be limitations placed on where the care can be provided to her, and moving her to another home may not be in her best interests either. Best of luck.

Thank you for that.
    No, she won't be moved at all. That's all sorted. I'll think NHS has been looked at but didn't go far.
    We're trying to keep the house in the family if possible but it could be a dead end.

It is a horrible one. My other Nana was the opposite, physical broke down but was bright as a button upstairs.
    Much easier to look after like that, never in care.

Thanks again.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Your grandmother needs to pay somebody else to do what you're unwilling to make the time to do for her.

Care homes are going bankrupt hand-over-fist, trying very hard to provide what you're unwilling to provide for your own relative

Steady on AC! I'm as annoyed as the next person about family members trying to get one over on taxpayers when it comes to care costs, but unwilling? How much experience do you have of looking after 90 year olds with dementia round the clock? That's very harsh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure