PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I'm just about to have a cheese salad sandwich .

That is just what I had for lunch, got back from the funeral in plenty of time for lunch

Dinner is now decided, there is a broccoli & cheese quiche defrosting as I type, probably have the LO boiled spuds sliced & gently fried, must be a cheffy name for that but it escapes me

Perhaps open a tin of beans to go with it?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    probably have the LO boiled spuds sliced & gently fried, must be a cheffy name for that but it escapes me
    I think the cheffy name is Saute Potatoes.

To me it's using up left overs in a way that tastes nice :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think the cheffy name is Saute Potatoes.

To me it's using up left overs in a way that tastes nice :)

Found an even more cheffy title

pommes de terres sautees

Yay :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    The thought of veg boxes is tempting - and I have managed to find one that will deliver here finally.

Errrrm....but as one person I do wonder what wastage I might land up getting. Today's food from the garden incorporated into meals totals up to rhubarb, apples and tomatoes and I've barely started on that garden (courtesy of getting the house itself together) - so I dont know whether a veg box would be worth my while anyway once I'm fully "up and running" or even right now.

I know I've still got strawberries and assorted berries stashed away in the freezer as well - so that's another two options if I want them.

So every time the Guardian or someone goes "Brexit alarmist - us Brits may not be able to be the gourmets we are busily turning into the last few years" I start feeling rather cynical about that and think "Well - those of us that are doing our best to grow our own probably won't notice much/if anything anyway - IF they're right".
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm addicted to cheese n onion pies at the mo.If I didn't know better, i'd think I was preggers :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah cheese & onion pies - something you seldom see around here, cheese & onion pasties yes but seldom in a pie. When I lived in York many, many moons ago the local baker did a fab one with layers of cheese, potato and onion. They had a specific name but I can't remember what it was!

I picked virtually the last of the broad beans and the runners are really slowing down too. I think I'll get a final courgette and that will be them over as well. Still the tomatoes are going strong, picked a good kilo plus today, still lots to ripen but no doubt as usual I'll end up with trays dotted around the conservatory "finishing off". Tomorrow I plan to make a bit batch of simple tomato sauce with the big ones and have a bash at semi-drying the cherry ones in the dehydrator. My plan is to not quite get them totally dry, vac pac & freeze them and then rehydrate in olive oil & herbs as I want to use them:). I've still a good few lettuce going strong but my chard seem to have had it - too much rain. Apart from a tub of red brussel sprouts which hopefully will actually produce some sprouts this year - got none last year though manage to salvage the tops which were tasty.

Decided it's gnocchi tonight with the LO pizza toppings.:) The weather is really closing in so I want food in a bowl though thankfully it's still warm enough not to put the heating on though going by the forecast thay could change over the next few days ;).
    Options
    Been scanning the papers online and...Isis are thinking along lines of poisoning our food in our supermarkets before we get our little mitts on it.

Discriminatory terrorism rearing its head then.....as some of us buy darn all supermarket food (whew! whew!) and thinking, with relief, "there are only 1 or 2 items I might still need to buy in supermarkets anyway - by the time most of mine doesnt come from there and I could refuse to buy the rest there too pro tem".

Oh boy....and feeling sympathetic to those who can't just boycott supermarkets however long necessary until "life gets back to normal"....if it ever blimmin' does:mad::mad::mad:
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    It's a horrible day weather wise so I'm glad I've soup left for lunch. I woke up really early feeling hungry which is really unlike me so scrambled eggs and mushrooms were had first thing!
    I've no idea what dinner will be.
    Options
    Dinner undecided on as yet - but likely to include a glass (or two ahem...) of champagne. Courtesy of The House Is Finished - at long blimmin' last. That's it done. Now brought into the 21st century and working properly:beer:

So I thought a little celebratory drink might just be in order...:rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    Dinner undecided on as yet - but likely to include a glass (or two ahem...) of champagne. Courtesy of The House Is Finished - at long blimmin' last. That's it done. Now brought into the 21st century and working properly:beer:

So I thought a little celebratory drink might just be in order...:rotfl:
    :j:j:j you must be so pleased :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family