Jumping on a plane this evening

Options

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    I'm a he.

Yes, that's precisely what I am thinking. It's not only a matter of booking directly with the airline. It's also a matter of booking directly with an airline whom will allow me to book for today/tonight, and whom I have faith will actually fly me.

EDIT: Air New Zealand can't do it. They fly through Los Angeles and I would need a visa even for transit. They also tell me that their website won't allow me to book a ticket for today, even though it does. (They told me that the 7th would be greyed out on one screen, but it's not.)

That's a confidence reducing result.

EDIT: Singapore airlines can do it, at least their website suggests they can. But, with 10 hours in the wrong city in NZ, that makes for a long trip and it may be faster to leave the next day on a faster flight.

No Cathay Pacific? They codeshare with Air New Zealand.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2016 at 5:07PM
    Options
    I'm a he.

EDIT: Air New Zealand can't do it. They fly through Los Angeles and I would need a visa even for transit. They also tell me that their website won't allow me to book a ticket for today, even though it does. (They told me that the 7th would be greyed out on one screen, but it's not.)

That's a confidence reducing result.

Are you eligible for a US ESTA ? If so, you could apply for one, have it 'up your sleeve' and when the event that means you have to travel at short notice happens, you've got an additional option.
    Assuming that they can/will issue a same day ticket.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2016 at 4:45PM
    Options
    That is a thought. I'm eligible for a US ESTA now, but will most likely lose this eligibility next year.
    No Cathay Pacific? They codeshare with Air New Zealand.

It seems that I didn't finish my post on this.

I have flown with Cathay Pacific at least once before, to NZ through HK. I've flown to HK earlier than that as I've been to both the old (fly through the buildings) airports.

Looking at their website, I didn't find anything for today. But, I'll have a look tomorrow morning. Their site appears to work as well as Air New Zealand's site, but they don't go through LA.
    eDicky wrote: »
    Have you checked for flights from that 'wrong city' to your destination, at better times, that you could book separately to the main SQ flight? Perhaps there are domestic carriers that Singapore Airlines cannot include.

I do that for journeys that are booked in a relaxed fashion. This thread is about what happens if I need to go ASAP.

At the time I was talking to Air NZ on the telephone, it was 12:15pm and their website was showing a flight from LHR at 16:15. ANZ told me that they don't sell tickets that soon before the flight, so I might have been stopped at a later time in the booking process. But, given that I'm in Leicester, time would have been so tight that I'm not sure that I could have afforded the time to look through complicated multi-part journeys.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    That is a thought. I'm eligible for a US ESTA now, but will most likely lose this eligibility next year.

It seems that I didn't finish my post on this.

I have flown with Cathay Pacific at least once before, to NZ through HK. I've flown to HK earlier than that as I've been to both the old (fly through the buildings) airports.

Looking at their website, I didn't find anything for today. But, I'll have a look tomorrow morning. Their site appears to work as well as Air New Zealand's site, but they don't go through LA.

I do that for journeys that are booked in a relaxed fashion. This thread is about what happens if I need to go ASAP.

At the time I was talking to Air NZ on the telephone, it was 12:15pm and their website was showing a flight from LHR at 16:15. ANZ told me that they don't sell tickets that soon before the flight, so I might have been stopped at a later time in the booking process. But, given that I'm in Leicester, time would have been so tight that I'm not sure that I could have afforded the time to look through complicated multi-part journeys.

If it helps at all, the AA website would let me book a LHR-AKL flight for 8.05 tonight online (it was very expensive, but it could be done).
  • RHemmings
    Options
    If it helps at all, the AA website would let me book a LHR-AKL flight for 8.05 tonight online (it was very expensive, but it could be done).

American Airlines?

If so, now (some hours later and much closer to 8.05) it won't let me book anything before Sunday. Though, the price is a fair bit cheaper than a typical 'today' flight.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    American Airlines?

If so, now (some hours later and much closer to 8.05) it won't let me book anything before Sunday. Though, the price is a fair bit cheaper than a typical 'today' flight.

I searched on the AA website and selected "all airlines" rather than "American Airlines" - i think it went 20.05 BA LHR-NYC, overnight in NYC, then AA NYC-LAX, AA LAX-AKL.
    Their website now states "book at the airport" for flights later tonight.

if you select "all airlines" it'll let me book flights form 07.45 tomorrow morning on AA, AA & UA (operated by air NZ), plus lots of other options.
    selecting "american airlines" seems to pick AA & codeshare partners.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I've bought tickets within a hour of take off, direct from the airline website.

Which airline?

British Airways.

Even managed to book a flight on the BA app on my phone without a problem.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    If it is a family medical emergency, and I hope it isn't, and a Doctor could sign a document and e mail an airline, then you may be eligible for so called 'compassionate' fares, although not cheap they usually have great flexibility conditions, you have to call the airline to get them.
    Thanks, something I will have to look into. A family member recently paid £6K for 2 tickets to go to Aus the same day. They may have to repeat this again, so worth knowing about.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Emirates is not a bad option, as they have a late evening flight from Birmingham(BHX) and the ticket is quite flexible. EK038 > EK448 going out.
  • RHemmings
    Options
    Emirates is not a bad option, as they have a late evening flight from Birmingham(BHX) and the ticket is quite flexible. EK038 > EK448 going out.

That's a really quick journey. 25 hours some minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure