santander £25 charge ripoff

Hi peeps
My mother has a basic bank account with santander ,and she uses it for paypal/ebay to sell bits and bobs in her spaire time

She owed paypal £18 fees which she normally pays from straight from her paypal account but all the money she had in there was on hold till the items she sold had ,had feedback left for them,So paypal tried to take it out of her basic santander account .

Which was empty as she only hardly uses her santander account as her debit card is not a visa debit.Today she checked her online banking to find santander had taken £25 from her account because paypal tried to take £18 even though she has a basic account with no overdraft and paypal never took a penny from her account.

My mother is recovering from a serious brain injury which happened last year and santander staff were being rude to her as she struggles to speak and think fast and would not talk to me for secruity reason (what a joke)

I would like to know can she/me file a complaint as we struggle for money as it is and this charge is unfair as she never went overdrawn and dosent even have a overdraft thanks for any help

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Which was empty as she only hardly uses her santander account as her debit card is not a visa debit.Today she checked her online banking to find santander had taken £25 from her account because paypal tried to take £18 even though she has a basic account with no overdraft and paypal never took a penny from her account.

Paypal did attempt to take money from the account and it sounds like santander bounced it and charged £25 in accordance with their tariff.
    I would like to know can she/me file a complaint as we struggle for money as it is and this charge is unfair as she never went overdrawn and dosent even have a overdraft thanks for any help

The charge is not unfair and any attempt to reclaim on that basis will be met with failure. By all means ask them to consider. Santander do normally allow a refund on first error.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    santander now operate a "one strike" policy.

Basically, you get all charges refunded in any 1 statement period, once for the life time of that account.

a note is put on your account when the refund is made stating no further charges to be refunded.

in future if she goes overdrawn by less than £12 no charges will be incurred.
  • unhappybankcharge
    unhappybankcharge Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2012 at 7:25PM
    Thanks for the replys
    She dosent have a overdraft it is a basic account ,paypal never took any money out they tried but couldnt as there was no money so they have charge £25 for nothing,the account didnt go overdrawn:(

I can understand the charge if the account went overdrawn but it didnt ,My mother has sent a email to santander and is going to phone back on monday aswell.

I have had this happen to my lloyds current account which aslo dosent have a overdraft from a different direct debit not paypal and i was never charged, lloyds just declined the direct debit and i paid my direct debit when i had funds available
  • unhappybankcharge
    unhappybankcharge Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2012 at 11:00PM
    No money left the account there is no overdraft it is not possible for it to off

For eg ,It would be the same as me using my visa debit which has NO overdraft and trying to buy somthing but i dont have enough money so the bank declines the transaction ,We have made a complaint to santander anyway

There is no overdraft the account never went over drawn and no lloyds dosent charge for this as it has happened to me several times Mabye if i had a overdraft but i dont and niether does my mums account with santander
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2012 at 11:11PM
    It's an unpaid item fee.

If the account holder requests a payment and the bank declines that payment due to lack of funds a charge is applied.

Santanders fee on the Basic account is £25 as documented in the their fees and charges document.

Lloyds charge £10 as documented in their fees and charges schedule.

If Lloyds have not charged you in the past then the payment declined was less than £10 or you have been lucky enough to have the fee waived.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    No money left the account there is no overdraft it is not possible for it to off

The are charging you for NOT paying it, they are a bank after all, you wouldn't expect you to send you a bunch of flowers.

Call them up and they should refund it.
  • Ok thanks
    With my lloyds account when this has happened it has never been less than £30 and i have countless times tried to by things online when i didnt have enough cleared funds available and i have never been charge ,my mum or me will not be using santander again as there are much better banks like lloyds,co op,eg

Santander never told my mother about these fees ever and i have just read a sticky thread on this forum that tells me it can be claimed back i know its only £25 but its ridiculous

All i ever hear about santander is complaints
  • I will go in to a local branch with my mum on monday as,she struggles on the phone and there staff were being funny about and wouldnt speak to me for secruity reason,I always to speak on the phone for her whens shes having trouble normally and no other companys are bothered,

Thanks for the advice guys
  • oranabana
    oranabana Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So, whats the outcome of this? Just curious, as I am looking for a refund of around 81 GBP for a simliar scenario...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure