Car insurance claim

My car was hit in May whilst parked. This was witnessed by me and several colleagues. We took photos, and I found the driver who was in a local shop. He gave me his name address and phone number and insurance details. He said he wanted to pay to fix my car outside of insurance. I got three quotes and rang him. He never answered, I text him no reply so I reported it to Aviva, my insurance. The guy I spoke to took my claim, and said the other guys policy was also underwrotten by them so it would be a quick process. I had a hire car for 2 weeks, and paid my excess and various insurances on the hire car. I am out by about £500. I haven't heard from aviva, despite emailing them, other than to say I need to wait upto 5 years for this to be settled. If I had known this then I would have fixed the car at my own expense. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have they said why the matter is not concluded?

You have claimed on your policy, so you have to pay your excess etc. You will only get this back if the other driver / insurers admits lability.

It makes no difference you're both insured by the same company, you're still treated as if you're with different companies, in terms of claims handling, liability etc.
  • They say that they are waiting for him to respond, and he has 5 years to do this. They told me that as I had 7 witnesses it would be cut and dried, so I went ahead with the repair, which I was quoted 550.00 for. 5 years seems a long time. I work in insurance, albeit household and we allow 60 days maximum before we side with a claimant if there is no response from a third party.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The law gives the third party 6 years to claim for their vehicle damage.

Your insurers should obtain witness statements from all witnesses, and send them to the other persons insurers. The insurer should then admit liability providing all statements are consistent. Have they not done this?
  • They insure both parties, witness paperwork was sent to my office, as we are all colleagues and they say they completed it and returned it. I haven't been asked to complete anything, or send the photos in. It was all done over the phone. The person who hit me said his car was pretty much ready to be scrapped and he wouldn't be claiming. I guess I will phone them again, it's just such a pain't to claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure