PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• The_Logans
    The_Logans Posts: 247 Forumite
    Apologies I can't be bothered to read 21 pages. Why can't you do the inspection yourself?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    The_Logans wrote: »
    Apologies I can't be bothered to read 21 pages. Why can't you do the inspection yourself?
    Because the OP is many miles away from his ancestral home ( a flat), which is filled with 18th c. furniture and the agent has run off with the deposit and a large chunk of rent. The OP is also liable to HMRC for a tidy sum in tax.

But the neighbour has spotted a wolf in the house and is stalking the tenants. The OP then asked his sister to inspect, but she decided to put on her best 'murder she wrote' outfit and investigate the tenants claim to be on holiday!

Come on keep up!
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    The_Logans wrote: »

She lives in scotland the property isn't in scotland.

If you have a spare hour the 21 pages are worth reading.

A wolf, a harrassment case, a tax avoidance scheme, missing agents, drugs farms and an 1700s mattress.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Because the OP is many miles away from his ancestral home ( a flat), which is filled with 18th c. furniture and the agent has run off with the deposit and a large chunk of rent. The OP is also liable to HMRC for a tidy sum in tax.

But the neighbour has spotted a wolf in the house and is stalking the tenants. The OP then asked his sister to inspect, but she decided to put on her best 'murder she wrote' outfit and investigate the tenants claim to be on holiday!

Come on keep up!

Hey, Guest... Gizza quick summary of Game of Thrones, all series, please? Never watched it, might like to, maybe meh, and you could save several days of my life with a quick paragraph (and no more !!!) :p

Ta in advance.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Hey, Guest... Gizza quick summary of Game of Thrones, all series, please? Never watched it, might like to, maybe meh, and you could save several days of my life with a quick paragraph (and no more !!!) :p

Ta in advance.

here goes! <Spoilers warning>

England, (but not really England) medieval times. The scots are kept at bay by a Donald trumpesque wall of ice. The queen (who quite likes her brother) stops being queen for a little while, then starts being queen again. in the east some slaves are freed. A woman gets set on fire, but gives birth to some dragons. The north rebels a few times. The walking dead turns up for a while after some children stabbed a chap in the chest. And a young girl learns some excellent make up tips. there's some mild nudity and scenes which some viewers may find distressing (looking at you Ser Clagaine!)
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could you please advise further. I made an appointment with the tenants who agreed to let my representative in (my sister) on Thursday as they were on holiday until then. My sister just phoned me to tell me that she called around at the property this morning. At first I thought that there had been a misunderstanding about times, but it transpires that she decided she would visit early as she did not believe the tenants to be on holiday as they claimed and was suspicious.

I am fully aware that this was a bad idea. Her justification was that if there was anything going on that shouldn't be, they would just hide it before a planned inspection.

She did not reveal her identity/mention the inspection and she is under the impression that she did not appear suspicious and that the girl who answered the door (as they are in fact not on holiday) could never know that this had any connection with me. If she is wrong and they do somehow piece it together has she/have I committed any kind of offence? This was completely unknowing on my part and I did absolutely not instruct her to do this.

Goodness me, all these people determined to interfere on your behalf without your instruction! First your neighbour, now your sister... you really need to keep an eye on them - they're the ones causing you issues, not your poor tenants!

To echo others, that's going to make it awkward on Thursday, isn't it? Your sister will need some nerve to brazen that one out. Or just cancel the inspection and leave them in peace.

If I'd been away for a long weekend, maybe getting back Monday night, I'd probably have tried to arrange an inspection for later in the week rather than the first day back as I wouldn't have had time to tidy over the weekend (general tidying before having any visitor round, not implying dog-, baby- or meth lab-hiding tidying) or unpack. Nothing suspicious about that at all.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    England, (but not really England) medieval times. The scots are kept at bay by a Donald trumpesque wall of ice. The queen (who quite likes her brother) stops being queen for a little while, then starts being queen again. in the east some slaves are freed. A woman gets set on fire, but gives birth to some dragons. The north rebels a few times. The walking dead turns up for a while after some children stabbed a chap in the chest. And a young girl learns some excellent make up tips. there's some mild nudity and scenes which some viewers may find distressing (looking at you Ser Clagaine!)

Oh thank you. I've never seen it either. Now I know I don't need to bother. This thread would make a far better tv series.
  • Surely when she turns up on Thursday for the actual inspection they will immediately realise who she is? So her plan to check if they really were on holiday will have backfired as now she won't be able to carry out the inspection.

Yes, this is correct and I am rather irate about it.
  • To echo others, that's going to make it awkward on Thursday, isn't it? Your sister will need some nerve to brazen that one out. Or just cancel the inspection and leave them in peace.

Yes, she didn't think about what would happen if she couldn't actually get in that way. Now I am going to have to travel all the way down myself, I just don't don't have any alternative.
    If I'd been away for a long weekend, maybe getting back Monday night, I'd probably have tried to arrange an inspection for later in the week rather than the first day back as I wouldn't have had time to tidy over the weekend (general tidying before having any visitor round, not implying dog-, baby- or meth lab-hiding tidying) or unpack. Nothing suspicious about that at all.
    The male tenant did actually say to me that they were away until Wednesday night, so frankly I doubt they were away at all. One positive thing is that they were also still moving around flagrantly at the weekend (the beginning of the 'holiday') where my neighbour could see them, so they can't be too aware that she has been keeping an eye on them!

I agree that she is meddlesome and have had a word with her, but the result of this is that she has now started sending her 'updates' to my sister instead of me.
  • Guest101 wrote: »

Come on keep up!

Excuse me, but the 'flat' is only part of the ancestral home which which great sadness had to be divided into separate dwellings and some of them sold to pay the death tax, on some complicated leasehold. Mine is a substantial three-bedroom dwelling taking up a good portion of the ground floor. I also still own some of the grounds and outbuildings. My sister foolishly decided to sell her portion to live in a modern house, but my late brother's was passed to his children. Therefore over half of the value of the estate remains in the family and I feel justified in regarding it still as our estate and having a huge sentimental attachment to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure