Got myself into a pickle with the JSA... advice needed

2»

Comments

• Macro_3
    Macro_3 Posts: 662 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2011 at 11:25AM
    HappyMJ wrote: »

If your JSA stops then your housing benefit will stop and you will need to make a new claim for housing benefit to continue receiving it.

Incorrect.
    The council is not informed of the reason a claimant has stopped claiming JSA they are just informed that their client is no longer claiming JSA. The client could have come into several thousand pounds or got a job, baby or anything. The council rely on the DWP's asset and income test for income based JSA so don't ask for it again at that stage unless they are on contributions based JSA. Now the OP is no longer claiming JSA the council want to know why.
    Also incorrect! The LA is told whythe claim has ended and can also call the call centre/BDC for more comprehensive info if they choose.

OP, if your JSA is merely sanctioned, or suspended then sanctioned, there should be no effect on your housing benefit. Your claim will be adjusted so that the sanctioned period is shown on your claim, but this is merely administrative and will not affect you financially.

If you JSA ends, your housing benefit will be suspended and the LA will probably write out for proof of income/capital. If you respond to the request within the time frame given, your claim will be reinstated using the info you have provided. Usually that means that the claimant drops a note into the LA stating that they missed signing on/whatever, and they have no other income and are waiting for their JSA reclaim to come through. The LA woud then just reinstate the claim assuming nil income whilst they wait for the JSA to be processed.

The problem the LA have is when claimants don't keep them informed. I would suggest telephoning the LA/emaiing/writing/all three much as you have done with your letter above, but include that you have no capital/savings and will have no other income should your jobseekers allowance be terminated, and that you will be reclaiming JSA immediately if it is. Include your telephone number so the assessor can call you if they need to clarify anything. Call/email/telephone ASAP every time you have any further info for the LA.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    There are provisions for signing on at other JCP offices so if you do go to the one local to your dad then they should be able to help you out. I think the form used to be called a JSA90. They would either scan or fax it across to the other JCP responsible for your payment.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Macro wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Also incorrect! The LA is told whythe claim has ended and can also call the call centre/BDC for more comprehensive info if they choose.

OP, if your JSA is merely sanctioned, or suspended then sanctioned, there should be no effect on your housing benefit. Your claim will be adjusted so that the sanctioned period is shown on your claim, but this is merely administrative and will not affect you financially.

If you JSA ends, your housing benefit will be suspended and the LA will probably write out for proof of income/capital. If you respond to the request within the time frame given, your claim will be reinstated using the info you have provided. Usually that means that the claimant drops a note into the LA stating that they missed signing on/whatever, and they have no other income and are waiting for their JSA reclaim to come through. The LA woud then just reinstate the claim assuming nil income whilst they wait for the JSA to be processed.

The problem the LA have is when claimants don't keep them informed. I would suggest telephoning the LA/emaiing/writing/all three much as you have done with your letter above, but include that you have no capital/savings and will have no other income should your jobseekers allowance be terminated, and that you will be reclaiming JSA immediately if it is. Include your telephone number so the assessor can call you if they need to clarify anything. Call/email/telephone ASAP every time you have any further info for the LA.
    Then you need to speak with my council. The 3 times I have stopped claiming JSA my HB has also stopped and I have to reapply for it. The last time it took 8 weeks for the payments to return. I didn't get my HB run-on until I asked for it and I was responding to the council promptly for any information they required. I used the word stopped maybe the word suspended would have been a better word but to me they both mean payments do not drop through the letterbox on a Saturday morning so they both mean stopped.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Macro_3
    Macro_3 Posts: 662 Forumite
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Then you need to speak with my council. The 3 times I have stopped claiming JSA my HB has also stopped and I have to reapply for it. The last time it took 8 weeks for the payments to return. I didn't get my HB run-on until I asked for it and I was responding to the council promptly for any information they required. I used the word stopped maybe the word suspended would have been a better word but to me they both mean payments do not drop through the letterbox on a Saturday morning so they both mean stopped.

You would not have had to reapply for HB in the circs you describe, although claimants often do as they misunderstand what is required of them and what is happening to their claims. And although, to you, a suspension might appear to be the same as a termination in that both result in payment stopping, there are very important differences between the two. It is somewhat worrying that you are giving out (incorrect) benefits advice on the basis of your limited anecdotal knowledge, as there could be serious implications for the people you are advising.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 August 2011 at 12:20PM
    Macro wrote: »
    You would not have had to reapply for HB in the circs you describe, although claimants often do as they misunderstand what is required of them and what is happening to their claims. And although, to you, a suspension might appear to be the same as a termination in that both result in payment stopping, there are very important differences between the two. It is somewhat worrying that you are giving out (incorrect) benefits advice on the basis of your limited anecdotal knowledge, as there could be serious implications for the people you are advising.
    That doesn't suprise me that claimants don't understand what is required of them as the council can't word a document clearly enough for anyone to understand.

I am giving my opinion based on real world observations not the pefect world that the council thinks things should happen. All I know is that I stopped signing advising them of no income and no capital. I got a demand from council asking for the last cheque to be repaid ASAP then had to reapply for HB again.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Arg
    Arg Posts: 931 Forumite
    When I went to my signing appointment yesterday the lady I saw refused to sign me on because she said my evidence wasn't sufficient for my job search.
    Unless things have changed recently you should still have signed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure