Advice on travelling Australia

Options
Me and my girlfriend are planning on travelling Australia later this year and were toying with what to do and how to plan it. After a bit of research and asking a few people we came up with this idea, but I'm just checking it's viable and whether or not we've gone too much or too little.
  • Fly to Perth where she has family (stop for approx. 1 month)
  • Fly Perth to Melbourne (not sure how long to stop)
  • Van hire Melbourne all the way up to Brisbaine or Cairns (again not sure how long to stretch this over)
  • Fly Bris/Cairnes home

Biggest issue is how long we were planning on spending travelling in the van and what sort of budget we'd be looking at. I appreciate there's a lot to see on that East Coast but we'd sort of cross that bridge once we've figured out what sort of timescale we have with the van.

Does this seem route seem viable or not?

Comments

• eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Something to consider is flying Perth to Cairns and then a one way rental to Melbourne, appears to be the reverse of the more popular driving routes and may be a better deal.
    Note: Oz is now an expensive country for UK tourists you will need plenty of money. There are numerous campervan rental firms so do your research for all the pros and cons.
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tripadvisor Australia forums have a wealth of information, including trip reports, so I would make this your first port of call.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    If your plan is to go for several months one option you may want to price up is for GF’s family in Perth to buy a van (you send them the money for it obviously) then do a road trip of all the places you want to visit and when you get done they can sell it for you.

If a van works out to expensive consider a car and tent.
  • Thatsthespirit
    Options
    If your plan is to go for several months one option you may want to price up is for GF’s family in Perth to buy a van (you send them the money for it obviously) then do a road trip of all the places you want to visit and when you get done they can sell it for you.

If a van works out to expensive consider a car and tent.

Good idea, I'll bare this in my mind.

Not sure what sort of budget I should be looking at. Looking at around 3 months over there in total.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Id look into what you want to do in each area as a lot of stuff you can do in several areas (like dolphin kayaking as an example)

The other alternative is look into itenaries on Loka (I did a Loka pass and they've added more bits now too), contiki and the like to get ideas. But it is a very expensive country. I went this time 2 years ago when at times I were getting 2.1 to the pound, now I think it's 1.7 to the pound and I still spent loads.

Highly recommend the show on the Gold Coast (it's a full show, you start off on a ride, can't remember the name but it's on trip advisor) - might be called Dracula I think
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good idea, I'll bare this in my mind.

Not sure what sort of budget I should be looking at. Looking at around 3 months over there in total.

Three months would make visas easy. Plus, if I remember correctly, after three months you will need to apply for a local driving licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure