When was the first time you remember being in a car?

Options
2»

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Must be the mid 1950's in my Dad's Singer, with a pre-selector gearbox, I somehow remember that vividly!
    A trip to Blackpool to see the illuminations. Broke down on the way home, haven't a clue what the problem was but I remember we were stuck all night in the middle of nowhere, no motorways then to use for that trip, until help could be summoned.
    The second was probably the late 50's, again my Dad's car, a 1937 Rover 14. That broke down too. The mechanical fuel pump drive failed (a cam driven lever). An AA man, with a dripping nose (it's strange what one remembers), rigged up a wire from the pump priming lever into the car so that my Mum could operate the pump by by hand with that wire. That got us the remaining miles home.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dads big, old even then, Alvis saloon, preselector gearbox and always overheated on a hill on the way to Bristol to see grandparents. The car was 6 cylinder and had 3 SU carbs, very tricky to set them up right.
    I had a few goes at driving it but was still too young to get a licence.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Must be the mid 1950's in my Dad's Singer, with a pre-selector gearbox, I somehow remember that vividly!
    A trip to Blackpool to see the illuminations. Broke down on the way home, haven't a clue what the problem was but I remember we were stuck all night in the middle of nowhere, no motorways then to use for that trip, until help could be summoned.
    The second was probably the late 50's, again my Dad's car, a 1937 Rover 14. That broke down too. The mechanical fuel pump drive failed (a cam driven lever). An AA man, with a dripping nose (it's strange what one remembers), rigged up a wire from the pump priming lever into the car so that my Mum could operate the pump by by hand with that wire. That got us the remaining miles home.

Reminds me of the time we came home from the lake district back to the NE of England in my dads Standard 12,the fuel lift pump cam was bent and to get home we had to run till engine stopped,lift bonnet and prime fuel pump by hand then drive on,took ages,dad said with hindsight could have rigged wire into car and done the same,happy days.:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time we came home from the lake district back to the NE of England in my dads Standard 12,the fuel lift pump cam was bent and to get home we had to run till engine stopped,lift bonnet and prime fuel pump by hand then drive on,took ages,dad said with hindsight could have rigged wire into car and done the same,happy days.:rotfl:
    Back in the sixties, I'm pretty sure we were surprised to have gone on holiday and NOT called out the AA, even on a new car.

My wife doesn't quite understand why I got so excited about seeing an AA recently. I probably thought they were our hotel when I was little.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Summer of 1957. I was with dad in the Fordson E83W van he used for his business, waiting for my mum to visit my grandad in hospital. He died not long after which is how I know when it was.
    I remember dad saying "look under the seat" and there was a bar of Toblerone there. Not much else though really.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I have very vague recollections of a couple of old motors. A red Land Rover Defender, an awful Metro (no seat belts in the back), and a Citroen AX. I don't remember much of the last two, but I do remember bits and bobs from the Land Rover.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »

That's what my Dad was doing initially, opening the bonnet, hand priming the pump until the carburettor bowl emptied again. Rinse and repeat until reaching a phone box to call out the AA.:p
    I don't fully remember what the problem was but an exchange reconditioned pump did the trick, about 5 minutes to change, two nuts and two fuel hose clips. It was possibly too much wear on the cam operated lever. Now, on a modern car, not so basic with the l.p. pump probably in the fuel tank.:rotfl:
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not my earliest memory, but ... 10 of us in a G reg (original G reg, with the G at the end) Cortina going to Beamish Museum. Configured like this:

Dad driving
    Mam in rear with me on her lap
    Mr neighbour in rear with my older brother on his lap
    Mrs neighbour in rear with her son (my age) on her lap
    Neighbour's Dad (Grandad) in passenger seat with granddaughter and my younger brother on his lap

:D

Elfin Safety? What elfin safety! :D
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Not my earliest memory, but ... 10 of us in a G reg (original G reg, with the G at the end) Cortina going to Beamish Museum. Configured like this:

Dad driving
    Mam in rear with me on her lap
    Mr neighbour in rear with my older brother on his lap
    Mrs neighbour in rear with her son (my age) on her lap
    Neighbour's Dad (Grandad) in passenger seat with granddaughter and my younger brother on his lap

:D

Elfin Safety? What elfin safety! :D
    We walked to Lyme Regis from Seaton and realised only then that there were no buses back. I ran, fetched the car while the others walked back. 7 adults in a Chevette, 2 in the front, 4 in the back, and one in the boot.

The same Chevette where dad was in the middle of London and went to change gear and was left clutching a detached gear stick, somewhat reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan's opening scene.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it was a late 1930s Hillman Minx borrowed from a neighbour in which parents, grandparents and myself were travelling to spend our holiday in grandparents' caravan (or may have been returning from). Unfortunately the steering was faulty (early 1950s - no MOT tests) and we had a collision with a motorcyclist. Despite the steering fault we continued our journey after motorcyclist was taken to hospital by ambulance.

The second occasion would be in my father's boss's nearly new Wolseley 4/44, with parents being given a lift to bus station to catch bus to go on holiday to grandparents' caravan again.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure