PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Greyhound_One
    Options
    Well the planets must have aligned or the highly unlikely scenario that someone at Nationwide knows what they are doing......the Plevin refund has come in all against my credit card. After a quick phone call the surplus amount is going to my current account by Monday of next week and the cards going to be cancelled (I really don't want it anymore).

Full complaint has gone into Nationwide because of their shambolic actions, time to now focus on my other PPI complaints and hope I get success with those.:T
  • DaBa
    DaBa Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 November 2017 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Hi Martin, just wanted to give a vote of thanks to your forum. I had a credit card paid off back in the early 1990’s on which I knew there was an insurance element, however as I no longer had the paperwork I could not remember who it was with. Your site encouraged me not to give up , and finally after approaching numerous companies and being turned down I finally found the right one, CITI Bank, and will shortly be in receipt of over £10,000, much more than I ever expected. All I had to do was give them my personal details and as much info as I could remember on dates it was that easy, so thanks again for your continued encouragement.
  • MARKOS72
    MARKOS72 Posts: 248 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Haven't been here for a while-good to see the forum still going strong.
    Came home from work to a rather pleasant surprise last night
    Back in 2012 I claimed against Clydesdale Bank for credit card PPI which was ultimately rejected by them and the Ombudsman.
    Jan last year I discovered that all claims against CB were being re-investigated but this could take up to 2 years.
    Came home to a letter stating that they(CB) were at fault now for mis-selling and that they also looked at previous loans I've had with them over the years.
    I am now due to receive a whopping 31 grand (yes I didn't believe it either but its there in black and white)in redress from them (34 grand before tax)
    It's just as well I have a strong heart otherwise I'd be lying in a heap right now....to say me and the missus are pleased is an understatement as we can now clear a few bills and get some home improvements done too.
    All thanks to this site and all the info I received
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • diddldonna
    Options
    I today have received £600 back from a previous HSBC rejection of PPI, the money is from the Plevin ruling. I got a letter out the blue from HSBC filled in form, didn't expect anything. So its gone straight down on paying off my holiday.
  • Skindles71
    Options
    I couldn’t believe how easy this was reclaiming PPI and Plevin from MBNA Credit.
    I had a MBNA card formally abbey - i used the MBNA online complaint tool.
    They emailed me 2 weeks later to confirm i had PPI and they would investigate.

This morning i opened a letter from MBNA to say they have upheld my case and a cheque will be with me in 28 days.

Now i had to read the letter several times as I thought it was an error.

Total payable to me £30760

Thank you MSE
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Skindles71 wrote: »
    Total payable to me £30760
    You must have had an incredible amount of debt on that credit card to receive such a massive refund.
  • Skindles71
    Options
    I had the card for years and years - balance went up and down. It was cleared along time ago
  • blackberry2000
    Options
    I claimed for PPI I paid for after reading Martins blog about banks claiming excessive percentage fees, from First Direct.

I got just under £6,000, which was a nice surprise as I wasn't expecting anything like that much, and it was also my first attempt after using the Resolver system on the site.
  • Gocat_2
    Options
    A fabulous success story, reclaiming 6 years of premiums for Mortgage Protection Payment Care, provided by Abbey National (Santander)
    I have received a total of £3761.26!
    I used the MSE resolver service.
    I was sold the payment protection policy in 2007 when I bought my current property. The financial advisor recommended the product based on my circumstances at the time. I was a single parent with 2 young children, and self employed. My circumstances changed in 2013, and I stopped paying the premium.
    I later discovered, following research on MSE website among others, that the policy wouldn't have paid out as I was self employed! Such a con!
    Many thanks to MSE 😊
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gocat wrote: »
    A fabulous success story, reclaiming 6 years of premiums for Mortgage Protection Payment Care, provided by Abbey National (Santander)
    I have received a total of £3761.26!
    I used the MSE resolver service.
    I was sold the payment protection policy in 2007 when I bought my current property. The financial advisor recommended the product based on my circumstances at the time. I was a single parent with 2 young children, and self employed. My circumstances changed in 2013, and I stopped paying the premium.
    I later discovered, following research on MSE website among others, that the policy wouldn't have paid out as I was self employed! Such a con!
    Many thanks to MSE 😊

It is a good result for you. However, the product would have paid out for you as MPPI covers the self employed. The rest of your scenario seems to indicate that an income protection of some sort is a sensible thing to have. So, they could probably have defended this case if they wanted to and had a proper audit trail.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback