Been out of work seven years, how do I get back in?

I had to quit working seven years ago due to the onset of health problems. I had an autoimmune disorder and also diagnosed with mental health issues which put me on ESA support for last few years.

While not fully healed, i would like to return to work in a part time capacity with a view to going full time further down the line. The problem is to comply wiyth ESA rules for working I can get a job for no more than 16 hours or £115 p.w. Where do I look for jobs that offer me less than 16 hours? I used to work in telesales stuff and it would likely need to be something office based again.

Also, I got sacked from my last job because I just didn't care with my health and stopped turning up, when I just should have resigned. My CV is obviously a mess, how do I get around this?

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Have a look at this website : https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

You can also give them a call and ask help for creating your CV. I'd say, look for some volunteer work as a start so you can put something current on your CV.

You can work towards gaining new skills or improving your current ones too. It will take time and won't be easy to get back but with right attitude, you can hopefully get back to work soon.
    ally.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Your best way to start would probably be by voluntary work - less stressful, more flexible but still with the opportunity of gaining an up to date reference.
  • nmr1991
    nmr1991 Posts: 45 Forumite
    i'd suggest volunteering like I have for a while which has gotten rid of my anxiety and part of my depression, this routine of working part time gets me in the mindset and conditions my mind to not give in to anxiety and it makes me more geared towards jobs that I wouldn't have thought about doing before I started volunteering.

Although there is the case of finding a job you're qualified to undertake which I find myself in a bit of a pickle - not being able to get past interviews and stuff like that.
  • YouAsked
    YouAsked Posts: 97 Forumite
    Hi,

I'd advise you to look at bigger employers rather than smaller employers and particularly those with "two ticks" recognition. https://www.gov.uk/recruitment-disabled-people/encouraging-applications - your job centre should be able to highlight any possible companies.

I'd be very clear in your application - explain you have been ill and this led to you leaving your last job, but now feel that you're able to rejoin the workplace. Highlight your skills and experience gained and how these relate to the job you're applying for (I'd advise customer service/call centre type roles - would seem to be a good fit with your past experience and p/t requirements).

While I'd be as honest as possible and highlight that illness had led to me leaving my last job, I don't think I'd actually go into detail - I'm not sure how much detail your former emplyer would give, but if they simply said "dismissed" then you've already mentioned leaving through ill health and a prospective employer will draw their own conclusions, whereas if you say "dismissed due to breach of company protocols" it sounds a lot worse! So be honest,, but vague!

It would be helpful I suppose to a prospective employer to see some evidence that you are feeling more robust so if you might want to think about how you can evidence this.

I have seen many people return to work after illness.
  • My advice would be to start volunteering to regain your confidence in a working environment.
    Its flexible and you can do as many or as little hours as you like.
    Meanwhile, set up job alerts on job boards sites and make sure to include the keywords you are looking for.
    Finally, look into homebased work - or even freelancing any particular skills that you have.

Good luck.
  • How about Bank Admin for NHS? That way you can control how many hours you work.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How about Bank Admin for NHS? That way you can control how many hours you work.
    The NHS usually like people to have had recent experience before going on the bank. It also is a job for people who can work in different departments each day. For someone who is coming back to work far better to find stable employment in one department rather than moving around every day or week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure