PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dying bamboo?

I have just been chatting with my cousin who plans to make a bamboo flute for himself and his daughter. He is hoping to dye it when it is finished, but unsure what to use?
Got me thinking...i have some bamboo placemats and a table runner which have been stored away for ages as they got a little stained and I would love to find a way to dye them black, but still have them washable.
Anyone have any ideas?
Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    I have ...

... absolutely NO idea!! What an interesting question!!!!

I look forward to reading any idea's too - not that I have any bamboo stuff that needs dying ... but because ...

... I'm dying to know the answer!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Yes me too!someone must know..maybe I am too impatiant..the only thing i have come up with on google is indian ink, but i'm not sure that would mesh too well with washing up liquid!
    As for the flute..i suppose if indian ink isn't toxic it would work (except when the toddler drool starts getting at it ...he he), but something a bit more suitable would be very welcome.
  • sarahmelita
    sarahmelita Posts: 167 Forumite
    I read the title totally wrong - I thought this was going to be gardening thread! :rotfl:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are lots of coloured wood dyes and/or varnishes about in places like B&Q but you usually have to buy quite large pots of it.

Coloured food dyes would do it if you sanded the bamboo well, (only a tiny little pot to buy), and you can finish it off with clear nail varnish.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • starlite_2
    would varnish be safe to suck on? he he
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Cute! ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • starlite_2
    just a thought...whatabout using squid ink? Im not so sure how washable it will be..but for the flute, I'm sure it's edible and will be fine
    i have used it do die homemade pasta beforwe which worked a treat and was very impressive!
    ....thats so long as the fishy smell doesn't impose on the sucking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family