The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Comments

• bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Ian we have just had a new combi and rads installed , trv on all bar shunt in bathroom, our gas bill was huge and the guy at BG suggested getting a room stat installed to shutdown boiler rather than allow flow thro pipes and one rad, is this right and will it save money and wear on boiler,and can you reccomend at stat. thanks
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • futumsch
    futumsch Posts: 17 Forumite
    Ian

Do you have any tips for making sure a solder joint is soldered properly? i know the lazy way is to use compression fittings, but a solder joint is more neater.

I tend to overheat the joint to make sure its done, but some of the solder flows out and it does not form a perfect 'seal'.

Things like this make you appreciate the skill of a proffessional plumber.

Tks,
    futumsch
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • outbidder
    outbidder Posts: 883
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Ian,
    Nice idea - I hope you don't get swamped with questions but it looks like they are already forming an orderly queue!

My question is that I have a bathroom sink I am replacing the taps on. I have replaced the cold one fine but the hot one is proving a problem. I have a tap key that I am using but I just cannot undo the bolt underneath the hot one, it just won't budge. To make matters worse it is the one nearest the bath so it is a nightmare to get under it.

I have heard about drilling the tap out but is there any other (easier) way?

Thanks in advance,
    Lee
  • topdog_2
    topdog_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi Ian. Can you tell me how to go about installig thermostatic radiator valves and do you put them on all the radiators. Cheers
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • T
    T Posts: 3 Newbie
    I have a major problem with the water pressure into the house. The water supply is on a shared mains with several other properties and being the last house on the supply I only get a trickle of water out of the taps at best.

Apart from paying the water company to connect me direct to the mains supply, which will cost upwards of £300, is there any other way to increase the flow of water so that I do not have to start filling the bath at least a hour before I want to go in.
  • Sir_Roy
    Sir_Roy Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hello Ian, I want to put a mixer/ temp.control unit to a shower head. The shower head is 6ft from the shower incoming H/C. This is so I can set-up the water temp. then get under. ?? what sort in your expirence is the best for a bathroom 10x10ft. with W/C and most usfull to me. I have athritiuse in my hands. regards.
  • viney
    viney Posts: 286
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Ian

My problem is that our bathroom sink and bath get regularly clogged. Which is the most effective method for clearing this, we currently use Mr Muscle sink and plug hole cleaner which works for 1-2 months.

Also sometimes the water in the sink when it is left running starts coming up the bath waste. what is causing this?

Thanks
    All that glisters is not gold, except moneysavingexpert.com
  • headcovers
    headcovers Posts: 705 Forumite
    I live on Salisbury Plain and hence I have very hard water with problems with scale build up in all the usual areas.

I am concerned about scale build up in my combination boiler and elsewhere and I use all kinds of products to try and prevent scale build up.

I have seen advertisments on shopping channels for the scale wizard or gadgets that claim to clean and prevent scaling by electronic/magnetic means. You know the ones; where you wrap a coil of wire around the mains pipe and plug in.

Are these things just cashing in on my paranoia about scale or are they a sensible purchase?
  • pthompson
    pthompson Posts: 131
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Ian,

The top of my heated towel rail on the second floor (i.e. highest radiator in the house) never gets warm even though I've bled the air out of it.

The pressure guage on the Combi Boiler is very low, so I suspect that might be the reason (?) but how do I increase the pressure? Also, there's an occasional dripping from the overflow pipe of the MegaFlo (which is fed by the Combi Boiler) -- could that have something to do with it too? Is the dripping something to worry about?

Thanks,
    - Paul.
  • fish1000
    fish1000 Posts: 46
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a plumbing question - I live in a 2-storey flat (so everything's on one level, with water tank up in the loft above). When I empty my bath, it backs up into the bathroom sink. Is there a blockage, or some other inbalance?

Cheers!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure