Who DON’T you want to win the election?

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 11 May 2010 at 1:51PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll between 4 and 7 May 2010:

With talk of a hung parliament rife, if you were to be give the option to vote one of the three main parties out of government rather than in – who’d you choose?

Who don’t you want to win the election?

A. Conservatives. 49% (11,387 votes)
B. Labour. 44% (10,155 votes)
C. Liberal Democrats. 7% (1,648 votes)

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• minerva_windsong
    minerva_windsong Posts: 3,808 Forumite
    I voted Conservatives. I'd rather not have them or Labour if I'm honest, but something about David Cameron just makes my flesh crawl.

Interesting that 14% of people don't want the Lib Dems to win... *wonders why*
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Nessynoo
    Nessynoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've voted for Labour. We've had them for 13 years, and I couldn't bare another 5 or so. Definately time for change.
    "It's official, MSE's harbouring total fruitcakes"
    >^..^<
  • Melancholie
    Melancholie Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tories. The idea of George Osbourne as Chancellor is one of the most frightening prospects I've ever known in politics.
  • beingjdc
    beingjdc Posts: 1,680 Forumite

They're the worst of all possible worlds for someone with my politics. I'm to the left on economics and they are (mostly, and in fact as opposed to their rhetoric) to the right on economics. On the other hand I'm to the right on Europe, and crime, whereas they are to the left.
    Hurrah, now I have more thankings than postings, cheers everyone!
  • which country have you all be living in . in the last 50 years every time labour in we nearly end up bankrupt as a country and the cons pay off the bill plus put money in the bank for the country. we as a country have be warned that we are very close not to borrowing any more money so whos going to lend the country any money if lab/libs get in.
  • beingjdc
    beingjdc Posts: 1,680 Forumite
    mfergie65 wrote: »
    which country have you all be living in . in the last 50 years every time labour in we nearly end up bankrupt as a country and the cons pay off the bill plus put money in the bank for the country. we as a country have be warned that we are very close not to borrowing any more money so whos going to lend the country any money if lab/libs get in.

Or every time the Conservatives are in they avoid investing in anything so the books look kind of ok (although the debt went up massively between 1979 and 1997) but all the infrastructure is falling to bits so someone ends up having to spend too much to get it fixed.

It's not Moneysaving to put off necessary work so your cashflow looks good, if it ends up costing twice as much in the end.
    Hurrah, now I have more thankings than postings, cheers everyone!
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Gordon_the_Moron Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I voted Liberal Democrats, they are everything that is wrong with Labour 10 times worse in my opinion, the prospect of a hung parliament scares me as it will give them power to make deals with people. I would rather see either the Conservatives or Labour get an overall majority than a hung parliament.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Gordon_the_Moron Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I voted Conservatives. I'd rather not have them or Labour if I'm honest, but something about David Cameron just makes my flesh crawl.

I can't stand Dave the Chameleon either (he reminds me far too much of Tony Blair for me to ever be able to stand the guy) but when the alternatives are the Dim Libs or another 4 years of Labour I will be holding my nose and voting for him.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's absolutely no way I would want to see Labour win... or the Conservatives... or Liberal Democrats... or UKIP... and there's no one else standing in my area so I guess I'm gonna be unhappy whatever happens.

The whole electoral system needs to change so that we can get a government that represents us, not one that goes (or could go) against the majority in virtually every decision.

Maybe we should be able to vote on individual policies, rather than for a mixed bag of policies from a single party. Maybe politicians should be forced to call for referenda on certain issues and obey the consensus of opinion instead of thinking that they can act as they please.

The party/representation system we have at the moment makes a mockery of the concept of democracy. Until that changes and the people have some kind of say over how their country is governed (rather than a token vote for someone who will falsely represent us), then we will not have a fair, effective government.
  • clairecymru
    clairecymru Posts: 521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I really dont want the Tories in power, I dont trust David Cameron. Nick Clegg really doesnt have a clue. I trust Gordon Brown to get us totally out of the recession and I dont want anyone else messing up the economy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure