How long does Wonga take to send welcome letter?

matt9210
matt9210 Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi,
I took out a small loan from Wonga (£12 to pay my phone contract) and have said to pay it back this Friday.

I can guarantee I'll pay on time, so will the only letter they send me be a welcome letter? How long does this take? I want to get to the post before people I live with see it and think I'm in crisis or something.

I'm guessing their envelope has a big Wonga logo on it too?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    matt9210 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I took out a small loan from Wonga (£12 to pay my phone contract) and have said to pay it back this Friday.

I can guarantee I'll pay on time, so will the only letter they send me be a welcome letter? How long does this take? I want to get to the post before people I live with see it and think I'm in crisis or something.

I'm guessing their envelope has a big Wonga logo on it too?

Why you worried what others think ?
  • matt9210
    It's mainly one person I live with. We know someone who took out several wonga loans and couldn't pay them on the date he needed too, and she got worried. Don't want her worrying when there's no reason to.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Tell her to keep her nose out of your business.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not be upfront?
  • Moneymash
    Moneymash Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    What welcome letter? I never got one when I got a loan from them, plenty of pointless (get more loans out with us, get a discount on your next loan, refer a friend etc- I would never refer a friend though, an enemy now that's different) emails and texts though.

Did you specifically ask for a letter?
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • Moneymash
    Moneymash Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I've just re-read your post, so you're expecting/thinking you will get a welcome letter. As in my previous post, I don't think you will get one, all I got were texts and emails. A text to give me my pin to register, and another text to tell me they had successfully collected my repayment without a hitch. During and after that time I got marketing and competition emails, and invitations for more loans, which I just delete.

You should be okay.
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    They wouldn't send a welcome letter for 12 quid! It would cost them more than the 12 quid in administration and postage. Be prepared for a lot of sales pressure in future, though.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • redsaxon
    redsaxon Posts: 162 Forumite
    I received a letter from them around a fortnight after taking my first loan and yes it had a small wonga logo on it,If you cant be upfront then why not just say its some marketing junk or something like that(mine contained some T&Cs nothing related to money borrowed)
    :beer:
  • matt9210
    edited 11 June 2012 at 5:04PM
    @Moneymash - Wonga's website says they always send a welcome letter. Weird that you didn't get one then.

From Wonga's help site:
    Do you send any post to my house?

We always send a welcome letter to new customers, addressed to the account holder. This is a one-off way of welcoming new customers and helps us protect your account. Unfortunately we cannot control who opens your delivered mail.

E-mails I don't mind, straight to my junk folder :P

@redsaxon - Any idea how long after you'd taken out a loan you got a letter? If she sees it I'll probably just be upfront, I'm just trying to prevent her seeing it :)

Edit: Oops, sorry, misread your post. Thanks!
  • Stereo
    Stereo Posts: 73 Forumite
    When I used Wonga a year ago I never got a welcome letter. Not one I knew about anyway.

If you don't want your housemates to know you've used them just dismiss it as junk mail.
    Capital One Classic Extra £2,450 [06-2012]
    Barclaycard Platinum £5,200 [08-2015]
    Lloyds Bank Platinum £750 [11-2015]

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills