MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Options

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    Court papers are usually clearly marked in Scotland, I doubt if anyone would try to deliver those to a neighbour. They usually state on the front of them "To be delivered to this address only" or words to that effect. I imagine it will be the same in England, and have the return address of the courts emblazoned on the front of the envelope. (Most of the ones I've seen anyhoo)

Scottish court papers have to be delivered to the address, that is why they are marked as such. This is NOT the case for the English Courts, so the envelope is NOT marked as such.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

No, that is not what I am saying!

Staff at our local delivery office confirmed they are now open until 4pm as they are now working 12 hour days (up from 8 hours). My local postie told me he now has a longer round and starts work later. Our post now arrives around 4pm. I assume postal workers in Scotland have longer working days now, also - not down to Mail Collect but due to other changes over the past couple of weeks or so.

I assume that our postal delivery worker goes back to the depot after he finishes work so that means the depot is certainly open to staff after 4pm. It appears to be an unofficial arrangement that the delivery office is open to the public until 4pm - the worker at the delivery office telling me they were happy to do this because, like some of their customers, they do not like the new arrangements and wish to provide the service they and their customers want.

mountain out of a molehill much?
    welcome to the modernised world of RM
    you are describing things that most DOs have had for years. As is typical for Joe Punter,you weren't interested until it had some effect on you.
    DOs are opening longer(my old one is open 7-7 on a normal day anyway for collections.)
    the later deliveries do cause more packets back at the DOs,I have already posted on this with regards to LWN.
    You obviously missed one of the previous threadsas it was yet to effect you
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    mountain out of a molehill much?
    welcome to the modernised world of RM
    you are describing things that most DOs have had for years. As is typical for Joe Punter,you weren't interested until it had some effect on you.
    DOs are opening longer(my old one is open 7-7 on a normal day anyway for collections.)
    the later deliveries do cause more packets back at the DOs,I have already posted on this with regards to LWN.
    You obviously missed one of the previous threadsas it was yet to effect you

I think someone should take a step back from the computer and breathe. No wonder the public sector is in such a pickle, be it Posties or teachers, you are so blinkered in your views and confrontational to change its actually astonishing.

If your attitude is replicated throughout the RM, then it is quite clear why change is not adopted and your business model is not compatible with the modern world.

More and more businesses, even residential's are turning to alternative options to the RM.

Soon you will only be delivering Auntie Mavis' birthday card to Jack (minus the money as that has been stolen! ;-)
  • custardy
    Options
    I think someone should take a step back from the computer and breathe. No wonder the public sector is in such a pickle, be it Posties or teachers, you are so blinkered in your views and confrontational to change its actually astonishing.

If your attitude is replicated throughout the RM, then it is quite clear why change is not adopted and your business model is not compatible with the modern world.

More and more businesses, even residential's are turning to alternative options to the RM.

Soon you will only be delivering Auntie Mavis' birthday card to Jack (minus the money as that has been stolen! ;-)

you mean on this thread where people are moaning about changes?
    The post you quote relates to changes already made and happening all over the UK,its just that its affecting someone now and they are waking up to it
    so perhaps you should reread that post and explain where it is against change?
  • UK007BullDog
    UK007BullDog Posts: 2,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 September 2012 at 12:16PM
    Options
    My area drives me crazy regarding RM deliveries.

1. Most of the houses in my area are either occupied by people I do not know well as they are all quite unfriendly or untrustworthy (some are drug dealers). I lived here for nearly 15 years. Some properties have been converted by their owners to be able to stuff as many people into them as possible (mostly immigrants). These people change every day, some seem to be here longer. I am not saying they are bad!!!! Some have taken in parcels for me, but the last time it took me days to get my parcel as no one in the house knew who took the parcel. All I knew according to the card (not RM this time) it was delivered to that address. It cost me time and caused stress. It would have been quicker to drive to the PO on a Saturday and pick it up from there. Parking on the street of course and risking a fine as its a double yellow line. But everyone does it and I would challenge RM and the council if I ever got a ticket. Some started parking on the grass area (now a muddy mess) and half way on the pavement if lucky enough to drive a big SUV with large tires to get up the curb, whilst the back of the building has space for at least 10 or more cars but customers cars are not allowed back there.

2. My PO for parcel pick up is open from 8am to 12 noon Mon - Sat. They only have 2 parking spaces for customers. This area is a commuter area. Most people work and are not in. So when a parcel comes my way on a Monday I have to wait till a Saturday to pick it up. I leave my house before 7am and am not back before 8pm to commute to and from work.

3. A couple of times it was left at a small post office in local shops, but it took me a long time to locate them as they constantly change and they are no better as there is no parking and they also close too early.

4. Once they left a small parcel in my recycle box and I found it days later when I sorted my rubbish. The parcel was wet from the moisture, telling me that it was in there for days. Once they chucked a parcel over my wooden gate and again I found it by pure chance as I had to get my wheelie bin out to the front.

5. Could they hire someone who can read and recognise numbers? I always get other peoples mail. So I have started now to try to get everything online or via email as I dont trust them. I used to deliver the mail myself to those neighbors and I am not talking next door either. The last one threatened me how I "dare" to have his mail and how it took me two days to get it to him"!!!!! Sorry mate, when I come home I do not check my mail right away but it goes on a pile to be checked later. He nearly injured me when he slammed the door in my face not giving me time to tell him to complain to RM. The next time I got his mail: Credit card statement and chequebook I chucked it in the bin (shedded it). I don't care! I am not driving to the next mailbox and put it in there (stupid place to put it next to a double yellow line), I have better things to do. I used to do that but got fed up.

6. The posties leave their personal cars near my drive or park on it sometimes! Their cars are full of mail to be delivered this whole area. I once left a note on the car asking him to come to my house to pick up wrongly delivered mail. He threatened me for touching his car!!! Can you believe that!?! I said I was doing my civic duty but I could always call his sorting office and say he cant read house numbers and I had 4 letters in my hand. He snatched them and walked off. No thank you or I am sorry. Maybe he should stop talking on his mobile all the time or listening to his Ipod and concentrate on his job.

7. Then one day I got an Amazon book delivery. It was pushed through my letterbox in such a manner that the flap on the outside broke and is still broken.

8. Letters sometimes stick out (another reason why I am opting to online billing and notifications). Anyone can help themselves to our mail.

9. And yes, some posties have the card already filled out and do NOT ring the bell or rap on the door. I watched him do it. I was sitting by my window like now on my computer. But since the bell did not ring or the rap did not happen I thought he went next door. Later when I went up the stairs I saw the card on the mat. I was livid.

Another time the driver was filling in the card and I opened the door. He thought because no car was parked on the drive no one was home. He was very surprised and I said I do have a doorbell. His response was that he did not think it was working (really???? did he press it to test it????) Yeah right!

I think to deliver 40 parcels in 1 hour is ridiculous. Maybe that is what they should strike for! 25 to 30 parcels is more realistic. That is why the RM van drivers always drive in first gear and rev up and down the street, ruining the vehicles and burning excess amount of fuel (pollution), and not letting us have a nice quiet snooze on a Saturday.

When I do an online order I always opt for a Saturday delivery when someone is at home, mostly me or hubby.

I am going to opt out! Lets see if it will work. I don't want no ones mail and not too worried about that as we are not in all day anyway. But I don't want my orders up and down the street with strangers.

Delivery to work is not an option as we are not allowed to get stuff delivered there anymore. We get too much work mail and all those private deliveries were putting a strain on the mail room staff.
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    you mean on this thread where people are moaning about changes?
    The post you quote relates to changes already made and happening all over the UK,its just that its affecting someone now and they are waking up to it
    so perhaps you should reread that post and explain where it is against change?

You really want this?

- Remove Final Salary pensions schemes as they are unsustainable
    - Review Royal Mail sick pay in line with Private Sector Averages
    - Review Sorting office opening hours, late opening made available
    - Review pricing structure of parcels
    - Start to offer trade or business discounts for large users
    - re-assess working patters, in line with demand not staff requests
    - Send all staff on Customer relation training courses, if I was spoken to how RM staff talk to me and everyone else in tehqueue at my sorting office in the private sector that person would be on a disciplinary
    - Run an efficiency exercise from start to finish adn remove any un-needed expensive layers
  • custardy
    edited 30 September 2012 at 12:20PM
    Options
    You really want this?

- Remove Final Salary pensions schemes as they are unsustainable um happened 2 years ago
    - Review Royal Mail sick pay in line with Private Sector Averages what are those averages? 1 year service before getting sick pay,6 months full pay,6 months half pay. I used to get the same outwth RM,except I didn't have to work a year
    - Review Sorting office opening hours, late opening made available already happening. my old office is open 12-13 hours a day Mon-Fri,8 hours Saturday
    - Review pricing structure of parcels why?
    - Start to offer trade or business discounts for large users have you missed that the market was opened up? you realise RM are lmitied in theri pricing and what the can offer?
    - re-assess working patters, in line with demand not staff requests staff requests? you will have to break that one down
    - Send all staff on Customer relation training courses, if I was spoken to how RM staff talk to me and everyone else in tehqueue at my sorting office in the private sector that person would be on a disciplinary I think you are under the mistaken impression RM provide training. those days are long gone
    - Run an efficiency exercise from start to finish adn remove any un-needed expensive layers where do you think those layers would be? how have you found the attempts at 'efficiency' have worked so far?

seems you have some clouded views there
  • UK007BullDog
    Options
    I would like for my sorting office to be open on a Saturday from 8am up to 6pm. That would stop the queues from going out the door. Not nice in winter!

I can understand when customer facing staff are frustrated. The missed delivery card clearly states to bring along a valid ID with the delivery address on it. How many times have I seen and heard customers argue with the staff. These customers are either ignorant or just want to cut corners or have more devious motives. Sometimes customers have to step in and help by saying "Oy mate, don't you understand English? She said she cannot give it to you without valid ID. Showing her some random letter with a name and address is not valid ID. Go get it and come back!"

Pretty simple really! Or those on the phone chatting and not listening to the PO worker. So rude!
  • UK007BullDog
    Options
    Opted out and waiting for my sticker.

OT: Where can I get stickers to stop the junk mail and the take away flyers?
  • custardy
    Options
    Opted out and waiting for my sticker.

OT: Where can I get stickers to stop the junk mail and the take away flyers?

wouldnt it make more sense to opt out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport