PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this buyers remorse?

Comments

• I went though this in February when I moved. I think it was just the thought of change really happening. After a week all the bad feelings went away, even more once we started to decorate.

I had the same thing when I brought my precious property as well.

It will pass and then you can just enjoy your new home.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't know Crashy, Unlike you “Lining a landlord’s pockets was never his long term goal” & “Renting is dead money and the bottom line is that I’m tired of paying off someone else’s mortgage. You are also very limited by how homely you can make a place when renting, as you need consent from the landlord for any cosmetic changes — for example, when you’re painting the walls”.

Imagine living in a bedsit for 20 yrs & constantly looking for an even smaller, cheaper place to rent out of fear of a rent rise….. worrying about even painting a wall...... You'd go mad, probably end up posting constantly in a members only, obscure sub forum claiming house prices are going to crash, in the vain hope that you can convince yourself that you've made the right decision.

Yes, I can`t really imagine it though, and neither can you because I have posted links to some of the places I`ve lived in, and you know they are not getting smaller and smaller, it is just that sensible rents can be found if you look for them. There is a difference between a bedsit and a flat, you have to understand this difference before other posters will take you seriously I`m afraid :(
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    Actually with that Metro link, it is almost like the media are just making fun of the absurdity of bubble house prices now, people (supposedly) desperate to get into big debt for a shoebox in a c*rap area, almost like they are preparing us for something.......
  • Crashy, do you have nothing better to do than making others lives a misery? Imagine spending years paying out rent and having nothing to show for it. At least those paying a mortgage are paying capital. Even if values do drop, it only actually causes large issues if owners seek to move or if borrowers have had a 95% mortgage and they are now attempting to remortgage with negative equity.
    It must be a miserable life trying to bring others down
  • Yes, it is totally normal, because I too loved it more earlier then now.;)
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    Crashy, do you have nothing better to do than making others lives a misery? Imagine spending years paying out rent and having nothing to show for it. At least those paying a mortgage are paying capital. Even if values do drop, it only actually causes large issues if owners seek to move or if borrowers have had a 95% mortgage and they are now attempting to remortgage with negative equity.
    It must be a miserable life trying to bring others down

Not sure how stating the obvious can make people`s lives a misery, unless they are very dependant on their house going up in value...for whatever reason? They also pay interest on that capital, and will pay more interest if rates rise. I can`t imagine being stuck in negative equity in a house you can`t sell being more fun than renting cheaply and being able to move at the drop of a hat if necessary.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2017 at 2:09PM
    I can`t imagine being stuck in negative equity in a house you can`t sell being more fun than renting cheaply and being able to move at the drop of a hat if necessary.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who wants to move at the drop of a hat, I've met plenty of people in rented properties who dread being told they have to move out.

Buying a house is a big commitment, but a brief time in negative equity can still be more cost effective than renting.

With renting, you can never escape losing money on a property.
    it is just that sensible rents can be found if you look for them. There is a difference between a bedsit and a flat, you have to understand this difference before other posters will take you seriously I`m afraid :(

Affordable properties are also available if you look for them. Don't buy a flat though.
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    phillw wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever met anyone who wants to move at the drop of a hat, I've met plenty of people in rented properties who dread being told they have to move out.

Buying a house is a big commitment, but a brief time in negative equity can still be more cost effective than renting.

With renting, you can never escape losing money on a property.

Affordable properties are also available if you look for them. Don't buy a flat though.

And you can with a Bubble x 10 mortgage ..

Unless the roof/boiler/fridge/foundations/other/anything breaks/breaks down, or the neighbours repair cars in the front garden and you can`t get a buyer, or the market crashes way below what you paid, or they put a rehab next door, or the neighbour cuts his price to sell, or they raise interest rates, or the EU workers all go home, or any number of reasons.....peddling the myth that buying at any price with a mortgage is the route to happiness is WAY past it`s sell by date IMO.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,109
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    And you can with a Bubble x 10 mortgage ..

Unless the roof/boiler/fridge/foundations/other/anything breaks/breaks down, or the neighbours repair cars in the front garden and you can`t get a buyer, or the market crashes way below what you paid, or they put a rehab next door, or the neighbour cuts his price to sell, or they raise interest rates, or the EU workers all go home, or any number of reasons.....peddling the myth that buying at any price with a mortgage is the route to happiness is WAY past it`s sell by date IMO.

Calm down. Don't let yourself become so angry :(
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    I am and my wife is earning more. I have a very avg job within the public sector the wife is a nurse.
    Even if the avg is 3k-5k less there are cheaper houses in cheaper areas. It's still obvious that there are plenty of decent houses available quite cheaply all across the North West. What do you class as too expensive? My wife and i purchased a house for 130k which at the time was 3x our annual joint salary. Now it's more like 2.2x.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

So you've already revised your previous stated average income figure down by up to 18%... really convincing argument you're offering here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure