Applying for multiple cards

Comments

• swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    There were not as many 0% cards about a year ago, and those that were available were for a fairly short duration. I favoured the longer 0% balance transfers for a fee, meaning I would not have to do it all again so soon.

% return varied, but all were at either 3, 4 or 5%, many reduced at some point during the 1st year. i.e. Santander went from 3% to 1.5%, TSB from 5% to 3%, Club Lloyds from 5% to 2% etc

1st years return will be about £1900 once the 5% savers mature next month, that averages out to about 3% return, minus the balance transfer fee.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does that include tax on the £1,900, or is your figure after tax?
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    It is saved as a couple, so no tax as we both have an allowance of £1000.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    swindiff wrote: »
    There were not as many 0% cards about a year ago, and those that were available were for a fairly short duration. I favoured the longer 0% balance transfers for a fee, meaning I would not have to do it all again so soon.

Yes, I decided to do the opposite and so am having to do it all again now. If I was on my own then I don't think that I would have been able to get any more BT cards as my credit rating is so poor now and so would be stuck. However, my husband has just applied for 6 BT cards with no BT fee and managed to get another £30k in credit. They are all for 24 months and so we will be ok until they end.
  • edinburgher
    My plan is to do similar to what you have ended up doing SuzieSue - run a stooze pot for a couple of years and then shut it down before remortgaging.
  • SuzieSue
    My plan is to do similar to what you have ended up doing SuzieSue - run a stooze pot for a couple of years and then shut it down before remortgaging.

Yes, but might need to wait for a while for your credit rating to recover before you can remortgage, but I suppose it depends on the lender as some probably won't mind if you tell them why you did it.
  • edinburgher
    Will do, 6 month gap planned, doubt it will be an issue past this point.
  • SuzieSue
    Will do, 6 month gap planned, doubt it will be an issue past this point.

Yes, 6 months should be fine. I will see how long it takes for my credit rating to improve once I've transferred all my balances to my husband and let you know. If I forget, reply to this thread in 6 months' time and I will let you know.
  • edinburgher
    Can I drop another query in please? It's related to applying for multiple cards.

When a MT/BT card has a max balance of, say, 95%, is this inclusive of any fees? So would a 95% max balance card with a 0.5% fee be 94.5%?
  • ben166
    ben166 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi all

I thought I might share my experience with my latest bout of multiple applications:

Credit cards BEFORE applying for multiple: (nil balances on all as I had recently completed on the above mortgage)

Card and limits:

Barclaycard - 13,000

MBNA – 6,000

BA Amex – 12,000

Tesco clubcard CC – 13,000

AFTER (additional cards obtained to the above) All on 0% BT deals – using MBNA card as the mule card for money transfers:

TSB – 9,500

Amex preferred gold card (charge card)

Barclaycard platinum – 4,000

Lloyds bank – 3,000

Bank of Scotland – 3,000

Halifax – 3,500

Tesco clubcard CC (2nd) – 3,500

HSBC BT card – 5,500

M&S BT card – 2,000

REJECTED for – Virgin BT card, MBNA BT card (offered a deal not worth it so didn’t apply), Sainsbury’s, Santander, AA.

I couldn’t see any other cards out there worth applying for!

Situation before applying:

Experian Credit score – Excellent (999)

Income: £60k – no dependents - £500pm mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure