PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well, i read lots on the old thread, but this time i have a tip to share :)

We have a dripping tap in the kitchen (which is on the list of things to be fixed) but at the moment is not possible, so we have the indoor watering can underneath the tap it catches all of the drips and means that we have a constant reminder to use the water :)

Thank you :D...I've just taken the dishcloth out of the sink, where it was stopping the Chinese water torture noise, and put the watering can under the dripping tap til I can afford to get a plumber to repair it. It's so simple it never occurred to me :o
  • pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am a loose leaf tea user and I have found that if I mix a packet of Yorkshire Tea with a packet of supermarket own brand the taste is fine and I save a bit of money.

I have also downsized my tea pot...my old pot held 4 mugs of tea which used 3 teaspoons of my mix. I now have a smaller tea pot which hold 2 mugsful and uses 1.5 teaspoons of tea...but I still boil enough water for 4 mugs and when I have poured out 2 mugs I top up the pot with the remaining water from the kettle thus reducing my tealeaf usage by 50%!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kerleytops wrote: »
    As the picnic season is almost upon us ( ! ) freeze cartons of drink to use in cool boxes or bags instead of buying blocks. You then have a lovely cold drink to go with the picnic. Could use for packed lunches as well.

I do this, but I don't use the cartons. I buy a four-pack of cheap water which I drink. Then I was in the bottles in very hot water. I'll re-use each bottle 4 times (with Hi-Juice) before they go into the plastic recycle bin. That way I'm not just binning something.
    I was away on holiday recently and it upset me a bit that I couldn't re-use my bottles and had to bin them :o:).

Another sneaky thing I do is do the salad sandwiches for work without the ham/chicken on. That way I not only save money but I save calories too :cool:

Oh, if you have cheese sarnies, shave the cheese with the veg peeler, it goes much further.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    If I ladder a pair of tights I cut up the legs into bands to use in my hair or for tying back plants in the garden. The waistband I cut off and use as an alice band for keeping my fringe out of my face whilst cleansing it. The rest I shred and use to help plump up cushions or save for filling for a draft excluder.
    Before they get too bad, I save them and wear them under trousers!
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Jacey53 wrote: »
    I make up a month's sandwiches for work at the start of every month and freeze them (basic ham or similar)..

I've never done this Jacey, do they ever become soggy when defrosted?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback