Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 23,343Posts
    • 152,841Thanks
    Aesop
    ~Make upto £10 a day in October 2017 ~ everybody most welcome
    • 30th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    ~Make upto £10 a day in October 2017 ~ everybody most welcome 30th Sep 17 at 10:36 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 122nd month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make £10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra £10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of £1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to £5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for £10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:

Wages from your main job

What can be added:

Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:

Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX, MusicMagpie, and a few more too

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything. (You will be suprised at what sells!)

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

Join cashback sites like Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Mobile phone to recycle? Try http://mobilevaluer.com/ but also check other selling sites like ebay, Facebook selling, gumtree, etc.

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make £310 (or any amount of course!).
    lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it.

She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff. Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.
    Make £10 a day September 2017 £81.68.
    August 2017 £390.47
Page 2
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 1st Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 16,372 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    I think I did one of these challenges ages back and didn't do very well tbh lol.

Want to try again and aim for £10 a day.

I know the rules say not to include wages, but I don't have a regular work income, I do some part time articles for some online sites, but nothing regular or what I would class as wages so I would like to count these to encourage me to do more of them.

I am mostly a full time mum of 4, although eldest is 19 out of collage and signing on-good news is before he has even had his first monthly payment he has got a job and starts next Saturday, so will get some board from him, think this will be income not in the challenge.

Our main income is OH's plus what we get from CHB and tax credits so treat that as main wages/income, anything I manage to pick up is "extra".

Thank
    Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-October £788.70/£310-
    • bestlifenow
    • By bestlifenow 1st Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    bestlifenow
    Hi. Can I join again for £10 a day, please?

Thank you for the thread and good luck to everyone.

Shariann, I've just posted my (a bit measly) total for last month on the September thread - thank you for the total.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 1st Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 16,372 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    OK signed up to apply for the postal surveys so will have to wait and see if I get a chance for that. Anyone have any idea how long before I hear yay or nay?

Had reopened my swagbuck accounts last week and realised I had enough today to draw down a £5 amazon voucher so first money into pot.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-October £788.70/£310-
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 1st Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 23,190 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thanks for the new thread, Aesop and Lynne, and shariann for totting up our September totals. I posted my pathetic amount on the September thread shariann, I hope that was OK.

I'll try for the usual £10 and hope I'm more successful this month. What with a trip to Wales and staying a few nights, putting the cat in a cattery, funeral flowers, some new shoes as my only decent-looking pair have holes in the soles it looks as if I'll be spending more than I can make. It will give me some extra incentive to get off my backside and really try hard this month.

Welcome back to all the regulars and those who have come back after a spell away. Good luck and welcome to any new people who have joined us.

Here's to a great October for us all
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Sept: £4251.91 Oct: £12.00
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 1st Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 23,190 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I think I did one of these challenges ages back and didn't do very well tbh lol.

Want to try again and aim for £10 a day.

I know the rules say not to include wages, but I don't have a regular work income, I do some part time articles for some online sites, but nothing regular or what I would class as wages so I would like to count these to encourage me to do more of them.

I am mostly a full time mum of 4, although eldest is 19 out of collage and signing on-good news is before he has even had his first monthly payment he has got a job and starts next Saturday, so will get some board from him, think this will be income not in the challenge.

Our main income is OH's plus what we get from CHB and tax credits so treat that as main wages/income, anything I manage to pick up is "extra".

Thank
    Ali x
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    Welcome, ALIBOBSY

Aesop and Lynne will let you know what you can and can't include in your challenge total.

Good Luck
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Sept: £4251.91 Oct: £12.00
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 1st Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 19,202 Thanks
    FatVonD
    My September total was £374.30

I'm in for £10 again this month.

I have two items ending on eBay shortly with starting price bids on so will post those as soon as they've finished but, as I said last month, I will be adding anything from my fledgling business venture as its my job number two (job number one being part time and just enough to cover my direct debits.)
    Last edited by FatVonD; 01-10-2017 at 4:35 PM.
    Make £10 a day in October £224.01/£310 (September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 23,343 Posts
    • 152,841 Thanks
    Aesop
    OK signed up to apply for the postal surveys so will have to wait and see if I get a chance for that. Anyone have any idea how long before I hear yay or nay?

Had reopened my swagbuck accounts last week and realised I had enough today to draw down a £5 amazon voucher so first money into pot.

Ali x
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    Hi Ali

I remember your username from before. Yes you can include come from DS, and anything extra you get. It all adds up.

The problem with the postal surveys is how much availability in your area, so we cannot say definitively you will hear tomorrow or 3 months time. I am back on the royal mail one. I was off for six months, but am starting a unex one that has been delayed for a few month until November now. Good luck.

I must post about the swagbuck apps. if you have a spare tablet/phone worth running the apps for extra sb.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 23,343 Posts
    • 152,841 Thanks
    Aesop
    Hi. Can I join again for £10 a day, please?

Thank you for the thread and good luck to everyone.

Shariann, I've just posted my (a bit measly) total for last month on the September thread - thank you for the total.
    Originally posted by bestlifenow
    nothing is measly. it all adds up and it is more than you had at the beginning of the month. so well done!
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 23,343 Posts
    • 152,841 Thanks
    Aesop
    Hi all, a question for you. I just finished an ink cartridge (a rare event in our household!) and I was looking at some sites who pay you to recycle them. All the ones I have seen require you to recycle a certain number (i.e. more than 1 and generally more than 5) or get to a certain value before they pay you. Is this normally the case or am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    Yes unfortunately, this is normally the case.

the ones I have posted require a certain amount before they pay out. My last 2 got rejected as being damaged!!! annoyed about that as they most definitely weren't.

I can understand companies not wanting to pay 50p here and there but some are steep at £20 payout. I don't use that many catridges in a year.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 23,343 Posts
    • 152,841 Thanks
    Aesop
    Has anyone tried micoins ? I have got Applike on my mobile, it recommends apps that you use to earn micoins. Apparently a certain number are worth various vouchers including Amazon, Tesco and paypal. You don't have to be successful in any apps just to be active in them. Some of them you do have to leave running for sometime to work.
    I have luckyleftovers running but it says there is an issue with a third party when sending texts, has anyone else had this.
    Originally posted by datlex
    not heard of micoins. heard there is issues with applike not paying out everybody.

yes luckyleftovers is having issues with EE and Vodafone restricting the use of them sending text messages.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 23,343 Posts
    • 152,841 Thanks
    Aesop
    I found last months thread a little late in the month and have been eagerly awaiting this one, newbie here but could I aim for £100 for the month? Trying to get myself into a routine now I'm back at uni so I don't want to aim too high.
    Originally posted by DebtFreeDuo
    hello and welcome. you can join in at any time, you didn't have to wait for this one to start. You could have joined in at any time
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 1st Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 23,343 Posts
    • 152,841 Thanks
    Aesop
    so hubby couldn't be bothered to goto bookies, wanted me to go to place bet on a certainty. I didn't want to, so said would do it online. the horse was a certainty and we won £50. I went to send him the money from my account and he told me to keep it!

I also cashed out £5 on vypr today

£55 1 October
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Felula
    • By Felula 1st Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Felula
    Hi there everyone, thanks Aesop & Lynne as usual for the thread, and keeping us all updated.

My usual goal is £4 a day, but I am going to try for more this month, and say £8 a day. I must admit I'd never get more than £2 a day, so I am very happy with what I've managed to earn the last couple of months. The advice and tips in here have definitely helped!
    • Sugarplum634
    • By Sugarplum634 1st Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    Sugarplum634
    Hello. Can i come back?
    I'm not sure how this month is going to go. Everywhere seems to hate me at the min and swags have banned me for doing surveys.
    Let's be positive and say £2 a day.. that seems to be what I've averaged so far over the year. I'm going to see how the rest of the year goes and then have a proper year long plan for 2019

So £2 a day = £62 for the month.
    Make £x a day in 2017 so far £589.02 ( Oct£0GC £15.26 paypal)

(2016 £800.97) (2015 £791.42/$312)
    • Procrastinater
    • By Procrastinater 1st Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    Procrastinater
    September Total £285

Hi all, Sorry I wasn't about much last month but I didn't do too badly, may I join again this month please - £10 per day again and two sales made today - One private at £60 and one at £9.99 plus postage, which I'll work out later.

SO I could count them in last month I suppose, as they were advertised last month, but I think I'll use tehm as a good start for this month!
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 1st Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Welcome back Sugarplum. A plan for 2019? Did you mean 2018?
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £82.14
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1452.69 miles
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 1st Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    QueenJess
    so hubby couldn't be bothered to goto bookies, wanted me to go to place bet on a certainty. I didn't want to, so said would do it online. the horse was a certainty and we won £50. I went to send him the money from my account and he told me to keep it!

I also cashed out £5 on vypr today

£55 1 October
    Originally posted by Aesop
    A nice surprise and a great start to the month for you
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: October £290.10/£310
    (September £434.99, August £442.32, July £446.51)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 1st Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Here is the running total for last month. If anyone would like to post their total I will update it

1......Aesop....................................£
    2......lynnejk...................................£
    3......Kantankrus Mare.....................£282.35
    4......jojitsui................................... £
    5......hedgehogqueen.......................£
    6......cufc_mike...............................£45 0.01
    7......swimminginaseaofdebt.............£49.22
    8......tryingtoavaiddebt.....................£151. 15
    9......Rosie.....................................£
    10....QueenJess..............................£423. 05
    11....MrsCautious............................£296. 69
    12....Talia 1....................................£
    13....tizzi13....................................£
    14....Vintage Historian.....................£
    15....ziggy2407...............................£406 .12
    16....carbootcrazy...........................£
    17....museumworker........................£
    18....fluffig....................................£ 226
    19....WelshKitty85...........................£
    20....Xandersmum...........................£
    21....shariann.................................£12 0.15
    22....MinnieMousesMummy..............£
    23....FatVonD.................................£
    24....Felula....................................£6 57.60
    25....moppiness..............................£
    26....helsbell..................................£
    27....Hermia...................................£22 5.73
    28....eLLeBee.................................£
    29....angelicious.............................£
    30....Milly-Ann-Molly.......................£
    31....LynetteJ.................................£
    32....Happymac..............................£
    33....Procrastinator.........................£
    34....Florence J...............................£
    35....runmichellerun........................£
    36....HarnaicTom............................£
    37....bestlifenow.............................£

Running total £3288.07
    Originally posted by shariann
    Thanks for doing this. I will have to update my final amount for September tomorrow as I am waiting for some bank interest to be confirmed for the last day of the month.
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 1st Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Wahoo - already kicked off October with two eBay sales netting me £20.67 after fees! Fingers crossed for lots more sales this month.
    • Sugarplum634
    • By Sugarplum634 1st Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    Sugarplum634
    Welcome back Sugarplum. A plan for 2019? Did you mean 2018?
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare

Yup! I did mean 2018. I'm such a twit!
    Make £x a day in 2017 so far £589.02 ( Oct£0GC £15.26 paypal)

(2016 £800.97) (2015 £791.42/$312)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,721Posts Today

7,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin