Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,114Posts
    • 21,618Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Oct #1 SFD 10/20 Food £71.25/ £100 Travel £3/10 DIY £17/30 Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 3
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Oct 17, 1:22 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Okay everyone up to here is in and numbered.

People who are away - feel free to alter NSDs etc in proportion to your participation ie 5 days in Lanzarote - cut NSDs by 1/6.

sashanut PADs are fine. In effect you are 'paying to debt or savings', the money isn't being used for frivolous purposes but as intended. The PADs do not lose you a NSD. Putting things on a credit card is fine IF you are not going wild and dropping things in your trolley or basket without thinking.

The NSD is to stop the 'just popping in for one thing' turning into a basket full and another £20 gone. I have said that some turtles don't use the NSDs - if you aren't prone to impulse buys and aren't spending mindlessly it is fine.

At times I haven't used them for good reasons. When I was waiting for my hip operation I was told not to walk (after months of physiotherapy). I had to have shopping so it made sense to do the £1 each way bus hop into town and bring a small rucksack full of shopping back each time so the weight was not too much and I only had to walk for one block when I got off (and on bad days I could hold onto people's garden railings to help me along).
    NST Oct #1 SFD 10/20 Food £71.25/ £100 Travel £3/10 DIY £17/30 Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Oct 17, 1:39 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day One Inspiration
    Extra helpings today as so many of us are struggling and/or had a bad September

Keep calm and Welcome October

"All Who Wander Are Not Lost" JRR Tolkein
    To remind us that it's okay if we go astray from time to time (FBO) as long as we know how to get back to the path.

Try to be a Rainbow in Someone's Cloud
    Maya Angelou

Last edited by mothernerd; 01-10-2017 at 1:54 AM.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Oct 17, 2:06 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    My plan

Organise Will be starting with the meat I have bought today, my 5kg sack of onions, cauli, cabbage, carrots and 4 ys celery I bought to make soup (mum asked for it a few weeks ago and the only people still making it are campbells condensed. Need to freeze anything that isn't being made into meals tomorrow.

Regular. Budgets set at Food £100, Travel £10 or less, Home DIY £30. money for the roofer is already set aside in a drawer (and it's definitely a need not a want.

Get Ready. Will add salt to the shopping list. panda hat is on standby. Need to do a proper clean up of the garden but may leave strategic obstacles to hold onto for getting up and down the yard.

Always be kind. of course.

NSDs 20. Will portion these out weekly as that worked quite well.

Improvise. Need to get the last shelf up in the kitchen but my arm and shoulder will ahve to heal first. I have lots of hooks and rails to provide extra storage behing doors (lots of improvising went into those) so will get on with those.

Stoptober. Need to cut out the caffeine again. Need to cut back the clutter so will concentrate on getting things out of the door

Exercise. Will walk - even if it is only round the car park. Write Be stronger Than Your Excuses in large letters somewhere I will keep seeing it.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Oct 17, 2:21 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Part two later today.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 1st Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 34,910 Thanks
    DawnW
    Ok, it is the 1st of the month, so here goes:

Grocery / household £160 again For me this includes everything, food, toiletries, cleaning items, pet food etc, plus the milk bill. No excuses, there are only 2 of us plus small dog. And the freezers and larder are still full!

Beauty - I have a hair appointment at the end of the month - so £25 for that, nothing else.

Petrol will be £100. This is a new one for me, as I don't usually think about it too much , just fill up vehicles (we have a car and an old camper van) as and when they need it. Having said this, I don't think we generally spend any more than this, as we often walk rather than drive, and we are lucky enough not to have to commute any more! It will be interesting to see how this works out.

I will aim for 15 NSDs after my spectacular lack of success last month .

Extra money - remember to look for surveys every single day!

Prepping for the colder months is going to take some thinking about.... may need to order a load of logs. I will also start buying Christmas presents this month, to spread out the cost a bit. Our family do a secret santa thing, whereby we each buy one decent present for another adult family member (so we get one nice 'family' present each instead of lots of small cluttery items that you wonder what to do with). This was instigated by my children, and though I was unsure at first (it seems a bit odd not to buy Christmas presents for each of the chidren), it works well. My younger DD organises the 'draw' each year,and issues instructions! I do also have grandchildren to buy for though - and lots of birthdays falling during the winter months

Social /personal spending, aim for £100, don't usually spend anything like this, and no special events to pay for this month.

Stoptober - Aim to continue with exercise /weight loss and healthy eating plan for both myself and OH
    Grocery / household spends for October £272.78 / £160
    NSDs for October 8/15
    Grocery / household spends for September £200.15 / £160.00
    SFDs for September 8/18
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 1st Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 6,538 Posts
    • 37,610 Thanks
    determined new ms
    check in 1/31

planning an easy NSD today going for a woodland walk with bff and family and then they are coming to ours to watch football and have dinner. Using up lots of hg veg and apples in a crumble

exercise is said walk

organising - will clear out & tidy up larder which currently is a death trap! Will also dig out hats, gloves & scarfs & make sure they are ready when needed

Thinking about putting an emergency box together for the car in case it breaks down in cold weather - never been that organised before!

Can't wait for new washing machine to be delivered tomorrow
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 12/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 1st Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 18,870 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Food/household budget for October is £150.
    Made notes in notebook of some of my outgoings that I know the amount. Have to wait for my broadband and mobile bill to show in case there are any increases.
    NSD - Going for 20. Did go through my diary counting the days so hopefully this will be possible. Usually spend on Fridays and Saturdays.
    Food and other household/toiletries products - Going to keep checking each week of what is in and do menu plan and shopping list from there. I know that I can get things just in case I run out. Have to be strong. Making notes of spends in my notebook.
    Social - Already have booked a play at a local theatre, booked a place on a Christian study day(free) and planning to take my Mum to a Mass for the sick and housebound next Saturday with refreshments in the hall.
    Exercise - Plan to walking when I am working.
    Stoptober - Spend less time on social media.
    Goals for next 3 months -
    To do better with food and other household/toiletries spends and planning.
    To carry on putting money away for savings so that I can move in the future away from the area where I currently live.
    My spiritual growth - to read 2 Christian books and use the study guide for each book. They are by a well known female Christian writer. Also use the good Study Bible I have with commentary by the same female Christian writer.
    Improvise - Will try this whenever the need arises.
    Christmas - Give my brother, sister and their families money so that they can put it towards things that want. Do not know what I am doing Christmas or Boxing Day as my Mum and I usually go round my sister's for dinner. She has moved recently. If we do not go round, then we usually make plans to stay home for dinner. We usually go to Church Christmas Day morning.
    Will do as many surveys as possible. Usually do get M&S vouchers to cover getting my Mum turkey breasts for Christmas and New year and a few extra bits.
    Health - will have to double check as if anything is needed.
    Home - do have double glazing(fitted 2 years ago) and already found flat to be warmer. Do have a draught excluder already for one door. Usually put on the overnight heating on(storage heater) in living room where my Mum seats during the day when I am out. She also goes to bed to rest during the day if need be.
    Maintenance - No planned things at the moment to be done.
    Will report in later on today.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Organise October NSD 16/20 Food/household budge £105.69/£150
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 1st Oct 17, 9:37 AM
    • 6,538 Posts
    • 37,610 Thanks
    determined new ms
    thanks Kerry Woman your post has reminded me re the goals for the last 3 months of the year. Will give that some thought and revisit goals I wrote earlier in the year. Given how expensive the last month has been I hope to rebuild our savings by £400 over the next 3 months. £100 of this is a stretch and will only come from either economies or extra money as our budget is already very tight! I think I can in all probability squeeze £20 pcm out of the GC fund, but that extra £40 is going to have to come from somewhere!

Just started larder and found a gift I can give to a boy that madam has been invited to his tea party in a couple of week

Also searched for a recipe for swedish meatballs sauce for dinner today as I have no cream and discovered I can use sour cream which we do have SFD still looking possible
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 1st Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 8,533 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    morning all

i would like to join please didn't do well in sept. went over budgets but not really sure where as didn't track spends. so every penny will now be tracked!

organise- finally going to make some nut/fruit snacks (like naked bars). have ingreds and will save me buying nuts

regular- food will be £100. its normally £140 as i buy breakfast, basic toiletries and flowers for airbnb guests,. but i'm doing protein shakes and have enough in so not much actual food needed. want to keep a record of what actual airbnb spends are as don't normally separate it out. petrol will be £35 as normal. will need a full tank to go to manchester for weekend but that will come out of spends.

nsd- going to try and curb unnecessary spending so will aim for 20 (but not counting budgeted spends from pots as will buy when convenient)

improvise- tv in airbnb room broke and i used it as an opportunity to buy a big shiney expensive new tv for living room and put old one in there. saw sense and cancelled order and replaced it with a £25 small gumtree bargain

stoptober- going to give up alcohol until end oct when i go to prague. eat well and exercise!

Christmas- i save up all year so have money available. will wait until the xmas return policies kick in but keep my eye out for alcohol offers for things i know i give as gifts!
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 1st Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    Can I join please? I will post my planned spends later
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1603.47 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1163.36 Emergency savings: £1000/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 1st Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I'm in!!
    Totally lost the plot in September but am back on the wagon and hopeful you'll all help keep me there!!
    MFW £3510.00/£22968.96: October GC £30/£300
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Welcome one and all, numbers have been assigned.

Trying very hard to stay calm and positive. Had a letter to say my claim for carer's allowance has been turned down because'you are in full time education'. Grr!

NO I am not. I was in full time education between 2005 and 2007. I wrote a long letter stating all the reasons I could not continue as the stupid form they sent me was not applicable. Can't do anything until tomorrow so trying to get on with other things .

I have beef, half a chicken and a lump of gammon in the oven, with sausages and 2 beefburgers on a separate tray. They will all take up less space in the freezer portioned up (may eat burgers for dinner). Meanwhile will have a bath and eat bananas.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 1st Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Just popping in to wish you all a successful and happy October. Will post my goals when I get back on the 7th (I find using the tablet a bit difficult. Prefer my laptop). Meanwhile, I'm sitting here looking at the sea making notes and plans in my little notebook 😊 Have a good Sunday.
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 1st Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    Please can I join? Used to follow Kat, but rather fell by the wayside. Have moved to a bungalow to prepare for getting older (I am 71 now), but costs have been more than equity realised. Must get down to keeping to a proper budget and get rid of this debt. Using YNAB again and I went over budget in September. Will update everything later today.
    • Jellybean88
    • By Jellybean88 1st Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Jellybean88
    Hey!!

My budget is

Food-£200
    Petrol-60
    Beauty appt - £15
    Half term - £50 going to try and do free days out lots of walks and baking.

Some goals for this month -
    -Sort out my Xmas stash, I've done most of my shopping over the year, just need to sit down and work out hampers for people.
    -Use toiletries I have at home (I swear I could open up my own £1 with the amount I have ��)
    -Declutter my cupboards in my hallway

Day 1/31

I've been working today, so I haven't spent anything so far. My bf has two friends coming down from Newcastle today. So I think the plan is to go out for dinner. Which hopefully my bf will pay for. .
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 1st Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 22,155 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    EE comes screeching in having missed the last few weeks of the month..............................

Just replying quickly to say 'Please sign me up mothernerd'

I haven't read the rules but I know they will be fine, I appear to have forgotten September has 30 days and didn't think October was here yet.

Am frantically reading the rest of Septembers thread and then I will be back.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • greent
    • By greent 1st Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,856 Thanks
    greent
    Day 1 ...... And We're Off!
    Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - Dinner from freezer with hm mash & veggies from fridge which need using up. Have made flapjack bars for lunchboxes (used up a ration pack of apple & cinnamon muesli with milk powder in, ration pack cranberries and the last of a bottle of golden syrup and the bottle of maple syrup), soft rolls for lunchboxes and fridge cake for after school (used up most of the free Kr@ve cereal)

Budgets
    * Food - 28.44/ 325 (stretch 290) - top uo shop in Tesc0 today and also scored some YS bits
    * Fuel 0/60
    * Clothes 0/75
    * Gifts 5.50/150
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 0/200 (stretch 150)

NSD - 0/12

Improvise - loose 'recipes' to make flapjack & fridge cake to use random items up

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 1/4 - edited to add OH and I nipped out for a 20min walk , so can tick that off

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way" Have halved non mtge debt which we had at start of year - although new fridge freezer and shower have gone on 0% CC last month. Weight and fitness have definitely been abandoned - so I re-weigh myself tomorrow....

Extra income - 200 points in YouG0v surveys today

Christmas - one small gift bought today as part of my mum's present.

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today 1/31
    Bought more (own brand) vitamins for smalls (3 for 2 in Tesc0) as they only have a week's worth left.
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) OH has messaged plumber we used for bathrooms before - fingers crossed he still has the same email.....
    Last edited by greent; 04-10-2017 at 9:24 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 1st Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 6,538 Posts
    • 37,610 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I just looked at my goals for 2017, set in February

I have 13 goals

7 personal
    3 career
    3 relationships

I have achieved 4, 3 are a working progress, 5 are yet to start and 1 I have abandoned. Interesting to look at and revisit. I will pay more attention to these over the next 3 months
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 1st Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 14,410 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Just finished everything. Lots to use up.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Everything budgeted. My indulgent September is now over. I will make every penny squeak

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

Definitely a necessity where we live. I will look at it and action next weekend

ALWAYS Be Kind

I try

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

I will aim for 15. As I use YNAB, everything has its own budget (Except FAT of course) so the regular stuff is easily accounted for.

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

I always sub ingredients. I am incapable of following a recipe!

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

Thankfully in no need of STOPTOBER except in the binge eating field. I’ll work on that.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

I MUST get back to this. September was horrible and it shows both mentally and physically. Went bouldering today so that is a start

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

I need to revisit my goals. It’s not going to happen tonight. Again, probably next weekend

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

Lots of presents already stashed. I need to check cards, and make a list. DH is working both Chrismas and Hogmanay so we won't be doing much.

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

I have a budget for ‘out with friends’ to encourage me out of my hermit cell. Otherwise I don’t make the effort to see people.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

I have LOADS of clothes to E-bay. Anyone need a Drysuit?

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Can’t promise daily, but will definitely make an effort more this month.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 1st Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    Shelbi
    #5 Checking in...
    Happy Sunday guys..

I didn't set my goals yesterday so I will do it now..

I'm going to set myself for 15 nsd's..

Organise- I'll be honest I'm not much of a cook In fact OH does most of the cooking in our home..however I will make more of an effort ...Looking through the cupboards I think we should only need one more restock.
    I preordered shopping for tomorrow so wont need another boost in 2 weeks..will try to live from cupboards/freezer for this month.. so top ups will be essentials only.

Budget has been set- Food budget is £62.38, going out £50, birthdays etc- £28, beauty £5 clothes- £40 and petrol £20.
    - will try to save 10% of this this month to put towards my debt.

As I was paid last week, all my bills are paid so this month will be trying top batton down the hatches and live off what Ive got left..hopefully have some at the end of the month through this challenge ill have some more to send to my debts.

Get Ready for Winter- Going to recycle my winter coat and scarf & gloves set... Will don a hoodie and socks and steal OH thermals to try and not turn on the heating when home.

IMPROVISE- will try my best- this will be interesting.

STOPTOBER- going to take the plunge and try to quit smoking this month- please pray for me lol!

EXERCISE- will do the 20mins 3 times a week...will be nice!

ONE MORE TIME - My goal for the next 3 months will be to pay off my Loan and stick with this get out of debt plan... also check into MSE every day to stay on track and save money where possible.

Christmas- Ive done nothing on this so far and I havent even thought about it..I do know it will be at mums so thats at least 10 prezzies I need to cater for...will be back later with a plan :/

Banned- this month ill do my best not to spend on Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, etc.

EXTRA INCOME- I dont get overtime but will try to get some extra funds from quidco and swag bucks.

I think thats it from me...sorry for long post.

Sx
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    1 debt vs 100days chpt27- £1056.76/£4603.46
    & cc £171.17/£5482.83 (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)
    Organised October #5- NSD 6/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,721Posts Today

7,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin