Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,114Posts
    • 21,618Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Oct #1 SFD 10/20 Food £71.25/ £100 Travel £3/10 DIY £17/30 Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 2
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 29th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    I'm in for October!

Will update with goals shortly
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 9/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 29th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    I have added my comments below

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Organisation of cupboards well under way. As it was pay day today we have done food shop for beginning of October and this is included in Octobers budget. Will write down menu for this weeks dinners and batch cook some bolognese for the freeer that can be easily made into Lasagne, chilli, cottage pie and such. Will also make some brownies with cupboard stores as my baking cupboard is quite full and will also make some fruity flapjacks.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Budget is as follows:

£850 straight into joint account (already done) which covers bills and shopping. Tom has put in the same amount.
    £200 into wedding fund (a,ready done). Tom has put in same amount.
    £200 grocery spend
    £75 household items such as toiletries, bleach, cleaning bits and any other house bits (this is a new budget to keep these spends under control!)
    £50 entertainment budget
    £50 petrol budget
    £10 per week personal spends out of my personal budget.

I also have my hen do on the seventh but I have a separate budget for that!

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

My winter coat has another year in it. Might have to use my next vouchers from work and put towards some boots as I wore a hole in the sole of mine and the cobbler said they are ruined!!

ALWAYS Be Kind
    This I will prioritise as I don't want to become 'bridezilla' so close to the wedding!

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Will aim for 15. I always find this tough!

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

This will be interesting! Will give it my best shot!

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

I am participating as I keep having the crafty cigarette every now and again.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

10,000 step target daily

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

Whilst I'm not where I want to be my main priority was saving for the wedding. This I feel has gone well.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

I have got nothing yet but will be cutting back like last year as we will be paying off the final wedding costs on credit cards.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

If overtime is available I will take it.

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Originally posted by mothernerd
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 9/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 29th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Hello!
    Please may I join in?

I'm going to try really hard to stick to budgets. We usually do well until the last week before payday and it all gets scuppered. We've debts and projects that need doing so WE WILL DO IT!

DH gets paid on 20th and me on 26th. Those inbetween days are the hardest as most of the bills come out 21st-23rd. I'm determined not to be maxed out this month.

SO - budgets:
    £250 food
    £80 petrol
    £100 Christmas

-We just got our Sky bill down from £74.99 to £49.79 thanks to some wise words from my step dad.
    -House insurance is coming up for renewal - Halifax want £498!!!!! Esure have offered £171 with free legal cover and emergency cover. Will be sorted next week.
    -This month is the final repayment on the tax bill (DH got a £1k refund that they shouldn't have given him last year, he was expecting a refund so didn't question it and then they got in touch to reclaim it - grrr)
    -no beauty fund this month
    -I'm terrible with exercise and struggle for time with my job but will endeavor to try my best in the spirit of the challenge, it'll do me good!
    -Will aim for the 20 SFD's but I do own a milk monster so we'll see.

Sorry that was longer than I anticipated, will check back in on 1st for what is hopefully my first SFD

Be good, be careful x
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 29th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Lauralozzle when is the wedding (sorry I know I should know but have reached the age when things start to slip away, annoying when I've had the knack of being able to repeat whole conversations verbatim - months or even years after they happened).

It's just that when I got married (in September) I had all my Christmas cards written and all the presents for OH's family + wedding present for his brother and fiance bought and wrapped and made them all take them home with them - must have saved a fortune in postage alone.

I realise it may be too late for you (added stress) but just thought I would mention it.
    NST Oct #1 SFD 10/20 Food £71.25/ £100 Travel £3/10 DIY £17/30 Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • greent
    • By greent 29th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,856 Thanks
    greent
    Setting Targets & Budgets

A mix this month - will still be using stuff up from cupboards/ freezer, but freezer has a lot of space in (combination of this one being slightly bigger than old one/ losing some food when old one broke and using stuff up) so need to replenish some supplies. Plan on doing this in a mindful way and using bargains/ YS/ freebies/ HG/ offers. Pretty much always cook from scratch (although Tesc0 sell Pataaak's frozen chicken tikka masal and rice for £1 - good standby quick meal for DS1 (17)) Freezer currently has HM ready meals in of chilli, bolognaise and taco mince and roast chicken in gravy. Plan on adding soups to it for lunches this month - and will also use up some of my supply of lentils in doing so!

Have paid my CCs off in full, as usual. OH still to pay his main one (due 3rd Oct) but that will be paid in full. Have paid £350+ to 0% CC. When rent money comes in a £400 min OP will be paid to BTL mtge (ideally I'd like to get to £565 over the month to get down into next £000 bracket). Any fleabay monies will go to kitchen fund.
    Budgets:
    Food - £325. We are away for a week (abroad, so won't be taking much food with us) so have reduced. Have a stretch target of £290, if I can (but see above re re-stocking freezer)
    Fuel - £60 (1 full tank for me - I won't use it all as we are away for a week but prefer to fill up fully - esp with rising costs - OH's covered by business expenses)
    Clothes - £75 (between all 6 of us) - reduced after buying walking boots, hiking socks and 4 x joggers for smalls in Sept. I can't think of anything we actually need but DS2 & DS3 are growing heaps at the mo and this covers unexpecteds
    Gifts - £150 - essentially towards more Xmas shopping (and a couple of bday cards needed)
    Toiletries - £10 (possibly shampoo for DS1 and also more antiperspirant for him)
    Social Life - £200 - we have a meal & drinks out with friends carried forward from Sept into Oct as they couldn't get a sitter (originally mooted as an idea in Aug, so we've not been hasty in arranging this!) - suspect the evening will be £60 max. It is also OH's bday which will involve either a meal out (although his fave restaurant is where we are going with friends the previous week) or a takeaway - it is his choice, as is 'tradition' in our house. The smalls also want to watch a movie (Ninjag0) so we will pick up cheap tickets and take our own drinks and snacks. Stretch target £150

ALWAYS Be Kind

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)
    Will aim for 12 with my brood which get through milk like there is no tomorrow! (thanks mothernerd!) We are also away for 8 days, so I have reduced target accordingly.

I like substituting ingredients - although I'm not sure I can truly call it substituting when I hardly ever follow a recipe to start with!

Stoptober in original form n/a. Although I do need to get back into healthier eating and exercise.....

Eek! I really need to do this in order to work towards my goals for the year....

Will look out Jan's goals and re-visit. Need to pull up my (very) big girls pants and just do it (ETA: Goals in Jan were: By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way)

I plan on some hm presents and a couple of small re-gifts to help with costs. Most cards and giftwrap bought in sales and I have a huge pile of gift bags to re-use. OH and I are not giving each other presents this Xmas (although will have small presents from the children to open - these are usually things like socks/ chocs/ smellies) - there is nothing we really need and the money would be better off put toward something nice for the kitchen refurb. I have also made just under 4 litres of blackberry liqueur - some of this will be gifted, although I have used up my small stash of pretty bottles on it already, so will keep an eye out for some bargainacious ones if I can. Could also gift some sloe gin

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).
    My smalls have had clear out and it will be going on fleabay with their bank accounts getting any proceeds.

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

I will be declining the 'school mums' Xmas do. I don't think I have another one!

Social budget above to cover meals out and cinema.

No extra hours in Oct, sadly (quiet time in exams) but am hopeful of selling some items I have listed on fleabay. Have toys to list but money is for children so need to find some things of mine to list on there. I also resolve to re-start youg0v and prolific surveys. I do RM surveys and use stamps for fleabay parcels And I will check cashback sites on any purchases which I *do* make in the month.

Get Ready Checklist
    1 Health
    Illness is inevitable with the changing seasons. All kinds
    of bugs flourish. Stock up on generic medicines now
    (natural remedies if preferred). Buy supplements if you
    know you need them. Freeze some soup and easy meals for
    when you are too ill to bother. Honey? Cordial to take away
    the taste of the medicine?
    Do you or any member of your family need a flu jab
    Paracetamol stocked up on (both tablets and liquid form for smalls) Do need to sort flu jabs. Easy foods already frozen. Need to start taking the supplements we have - I have pulled them out of cupboard and onto kitchen side

2 Travel
    If children are walking or cycling to school, can they be seen.
    Do you need to put anything in your car (snow shovel, warm
    jacket, a torch)
    The clocks change at the end of the month and the following
    week has the highest incidence of road traffic accidents
    I have a wind up torch in my car and a blanket in the boot (and a brolly and wet poncho) DS1 cycles to school but has good lights and a wet jacket with reflective strips. DS2 catches school bus and gets a lift to bus stop (35-40 min walk - no chance I'm letting an 11yo do that with a heavy rucksack and set off before 7am by himself)

3 Home
    Put in place any measures to keep your home warm – curtain
    linings, draught excluders. - new doors and windows 2 years ago have made a massive difference.
    Buy fuel if you need to and have not already done so. - N/A
    Buy salt for the path. - supply of salt for driveway and patios kept in garage. Large snow shovel kept in garage. Also have a snow shovel with removable handle which OH will keep in his car if weather is properly bad
    We also have snuggly throws in the living room for sitting and watching tv with and microwavable wheat bags for a boost
    Have cans of de-icer and antifreeze screenwash for car (and in car)

4 Maintenance Issues
    Fix the drip over the front door (note to self- phone the roofer)
    Check your morning and evening route for safety
    Any timetable changes?
    Are your driveway and garden path clear of obstacles.
    Do you need more lighting
    Need some electrical work done, the new shower sorting and some plastering - pledge to contact tradesmen by 10th Oct to arrange. Have lots of spare bulbs. Plastering is totally kitchen related (apart from a small patch in boxed in RSJ in family room which we would like re-done) so will come from kitchen fund. Electrical work is a combination of kitchen and some general bits which OH has tried but which are complicated (we have some weird wiring(but safe) in this house - my late uncle was a long standing well-qualified electrician and used to raise his eyebrows at some of it)
    Need our outside lights changed (one was damaged by a relative's car and no longer works) but will do it in Spring - need a run of dry days to sort out the posts and wiring in the tarmac.

Think about others. Do any elderly relatives or neighbours need
    a flu jab or help. Remember to check when the weather turns
    nasty.

We regularly check on our neighbors on the one side - one has had a hip and knee op this year and the other had a heart attack. DS1 clears their drive if it snows and we clear off leaves from their drive (most come from our trees!) and we offer to get shopping. DS3 is getting a flu nasal vaccination through school. OH needs to get one at surgery (diabetes) and I will see if I still qualify (asthma but haven't had any massive issues for a few years) If not, I think it's worth paying for one for me, personally.

x
    Last edited by greent; 04-10-2017 at 9:25 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 30th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    I am a newbie and this is my first month on getting a grips on my debts. If I can follow this challenge hopefully it will give a boost to my debt repayments. Thank you

Food Budget : £200
    SFD : 15
    Stoptober : No spending on eBay
    October Goal : Lose 8lbs
    Extra Income : £100
    Last edited by Purplebonnie; 30-09-2017 at 6:05 PM.
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 30th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 28,797 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Me please
    I fell of the radar in September but will get back up and try again for October.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 30th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle when is the wedding (sorry I know I should know but have reached the age when things start to slip away, annoying when I've had the knack of being able to repeat whole conversations verbatim - months or even years after they happened).

It's just that when I got married (in September) I had all my Christmas cards written and all the presents for OH's family + wedding present for his brother and fiance bought and wrapped and made them all take them home with them - must have saved a fortune in postage alone.

I realise it may be too late for you (added stress) but just thought I would mention it.
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    Mothernerd, that's a good idea. We have purchased some of the decorations ourselves, mainly wooden table lanterns, so anyone who comments approvingly on them might find one as a Christmas present! We are keeping some but any extras will make good presents. I know my mum likes them for starters...

The wedding is 5th November, so bonfire night it's getting close and I'm now paying for everything so the card has taken a battering! I think I'll be happier once everything is paid and sorted and I don't have to think about it anymore!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 24,829 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mothernerd - please can I join again? Only glitch for me will be a week in Lanzarote from 5 October but will be on board before and after. I'll go for 15 SFDs. Like greent's milk it's bananas in our house - I often wonder if Mr SA and DD have secretly set up a franchise of Monkey World in our back garden the amount I buy!
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Jellybean88
    • By Jellybean88 30th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Jellybean88
    Hey, please can I join?? I got a new job a few weeks ago, so I've gone from monthly to weekly pay. Which I'm finding easier to manage. I'm in debt, I really need to sort this out.

I've been eating out of the freezer and cupboards and meal planning, I have about 2 weeks worth of freezer food left. After this has been used up I am going to meal plan and only buy what I need for that week.

I'm pretty much sorted for xmas as I buy through the year, just my daughters bike to buy and a few other presents, xmas eve box etc. I have the money put aside for this.

I'm going to try and do as many NSD's as I can, Half term this month, so hopefully do some free/cheap days out.

Thanks for reading looking forward to seeing how much I can achieve this month
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 30th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi, October will be my first full month as a DFW here. I'd really like to join in yours challenge too. I'll be working out detailed budget today/tomorrow, so I'll update when it's complete!
    Looking forward to the challenge!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 30th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 15,021 Thanks
    Dorastar
    This is just the challenge I need. Unemployed at moment and September has two birthdays in it so now need to pull back the reigns on spending and get seriously organised. We have big debts and nowt coming in from me.

FOOD BUDGET - I'm at home so no excuse for not cooking from scratch and baking yummy treats. Need to get it to £50 a week for the four of us and then ds's school meals are on top of that. Have put money aside for those from redundancy money

TOILETRIES/MAKEUP - Need to see what we've got, loads of stuff stashed up and not being used and can repurpose some as gifts

STOPTOBER - Social Media, I can seriously waste hours doing nothing

EXERCISE Something every day - for free - why am I paying a gym membership when I can walk/run/youtube video exercise?

ONE MORE TIME GOALS - I need to sit down and re-do these after a recent huge life change

CHRISTMAS - Still in negotiation as to who and where it is. Got some presents to stitch already and a list started. In-laws have saved supermarket tokens for us so that usually covers a lot.

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. - Plan to meet up with friends at each other's houses and bake treats instead of buying them and using up hubby's coffee house points too!

EXTRA INCOME - Surveys, selling books, making stuff to sell, car boot, part time work and job searching for my new career
    Mr T 14764.50 Bank 6331.44 Mortgage £160,000
    Emergency Fund £854.29 Blanket squares 27/60
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 30th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Everyone up to here has been given a challenge number, let me know if I have missed anyone. To new starters - DON'T PANIC - it can take a while to get into the turtle way. I think everyone who has taken part can vouch for it even if we all have months when we don't do so well and can't see the way forward.

Actually DON'T PANIC is for everyone whether it's Christmas, a sick child, a motor accident (winter prep) or just real life dropping one bombshell after another on your heads.
    • Dorastar
    • By Dorastar 30th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 15,021 Thanks
    Dorastar
    That was definitely a message for me - I am in full panic mode today as I know things have run away with me, especially as we've been a house of plague recently and that just turns cooking and eating into a chore. Gentle day today to recover myself, and lovely Strictly and Casualty to look forward to then new start tomorrow. Thanks for the DON'T PANIC message
    Mr T 14764.50 Bank 6331.44 Mortgage £160,000
    Emergency Fund £854.29 Blanket squares 27/60
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 30th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Can I join? I haven't completely got my head around it all yet so I'm going to just start with some basic goals if I can?

Food budget: £25 per week.
    NSD: Going to start small at 15 as I'm new to attempting this.
    Exercise: Cycle in to uni more, I'm aiming for 2/3 days per week and to increase this each week. Also aiming for 10,000 steps per day on weekdays.
    Extra income: Surveys and Ebay, going to try and list one item per day.
    Debt 14/10/17/20/9/17 5395.16/5690.50 = Loan: 2065.32/2207.38 Car Loan: 2292.94/2419.64 0% CC: 1036.90/1063.48 DFD April 19 (Target Dec 18).
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: £110.51/£150..NSD October 12/15
    • Sazzle13
    • By Sazzle13 30th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Sazzle13
    Just sat down and worked out my budgets
    I've planned my meals this week as I'll admit I got into a really bad habit of buying both my breakfast and dinner from Greggs racking up to £30 per week
    Petrol £100, usually £70 but I have a trip to the seaside planned and I start college on day release so I've factored in parking. Food £100, I'm recently divorced so I've moved back in with the parents as I'm clearing debt / saving for a deposit so I buy for me as I'm healthy eating so it covers meat and veg (this is a complete estimate as I've never tracked) and money for day trips etc is £100. I have 4 planned meet ups / days out some prepaid but some will be drinks out Iike tea and coffee.

I'm hoping for 18 NSD

STOPTOBER I barely drink so I'm giving up crisps and chocolate ... in the effort to make healthier treats.

Christmas is nearly done, I've saved with park and do a lot of my shopping Boxing Day

October is my month I'm wanting to get back to gym and back into healthy eating.

I get a free flu jab at work so that's in November but I do need to sort a car emergency box! I've been decluttering all old clothes this week, some went to the charity shop and I have a tip run tomorrow, tomorrow's job is my daughters room, we'll both be going through it to make room for Santa, I've already so a bag for recycling, anything broken will go to tip.

I think this is just what I need to get myself sorted. I've buried my head in the sand long enough
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 30th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 14,410 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I’m in. I’ll do my budgets and plans tonight and post tomorrow.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 30th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    redofromstart
    May I join in please mothernerd? September really helped, even if I did run out of time to post at the end.

Milk fiends here too.
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 30th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,952 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Please can I join.
    Been visiting my daughters and grandchildren for a few weeks and have rather overspent.Don't mind as I don't see them very often.
    Will add my targets tomorrow if that's alright.
    Ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,044.21.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 30th Sep 17, 11:40 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 23,700 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in.....

Looking forward to starting tomorrow, will post goals/targets etc once I have worked on them....

One thing I wanted to ask in terms of NSDs - I also subscribe to the Payment a Day challenge - so no NSDs possible at all unless I can be excused these payments? No real debt so what I do is to use my cc for almost every purchase (!) including groceries, petrol, car repairs, animal feed etc in order to collect vouchers/points which I generally use near to Christmas - on YS stuff. I then try & make an online payment every day, which I post on the PAD thread. I don't generally clear the whole balance, depending on how spendy the month has been, but it is always paid off in full every month via DD ...not going back there again!! So Mothernerd, can I still join?
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,721Posts Today

7,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin