Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,823Posts
    • 19,630Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of £340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only £10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 38
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 23,290 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Glad you're feeling a bit better today, make sure you take time to yourself to do something you want not just all the chores. I think you're far too hard on yourself
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 11th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Glad you're feeling a bit better today, make sure you take time to yourself to do something you want not just all the chores. I think you're far too hard on yourself
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity

I agree with this! Where is the praise for yourself for managing to take care of two littlies, on your own a lot of the time and they are obviously loved and adored. Sometimes, you do need to give yourself a little pat on the back and let yourself know, you are doing good!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,630 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks hidden and happylassie, I bought coffee and found a gym!!!! Going to my first class tomorrow for a free trial! Seems amazing, everyone was so nice! I was chatting for an hour! So things are on the up! Bit nervous about tomorrow but it will be fine!
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello Missy
    Hope you enjoy the gym. I'd echo what the others say about the local library. It's a great place for finding out what's going on locally for both yourself and the wee ones.Also a walk in the local park will clear your head and lift your spirits and it's amazing how many people start to talk to you once they get used to seeing you there. My neighbour's OH works offshore and she really hates it when he has to go. Like yours he sometimes is called away at short notice. It must be very difficult.
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 12th Oct 17, 1:25 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Hi Missy (and a wave for Lauren as a fellow forces wife!)

Just to say I hope you enjoy the gym. You'll get some endorphins going as well as some company! I never see my team socially, but we spend 4-6 hours together a week, about 3 hours training and the rest of the time nattering. Sometimes I become disconcerted just how well they know me!

LB x
    Last edited by LavenderBee; 12-10-2017 at 1:27 PM. Reason: Hadn't finished!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Oct 17, 4:12 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,630 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi, well I went to the gym yesterday.... That was a bit of an eye opener. I thought I was strong and fit?! No way! Which has caused me to have a bit of a wobble to be honest..... I strive to be the best I can be, and I was the absolute worst there, which I found super frustrating, going to see if I can work through it. As I don't want to give up, I don't want to feel/look stupid either, so we'll see....

Not much else happening here, feeling a bit flat to be honest.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Oct 17, 4:47 AM
    • 12,163 Posts
    • 215,480 Thanks
    greenbee
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else. They may not all be as strong and fit as you think. Try going at a different time as the clientele may be very different.

But maybe it's not the right gym for you (I prefer the ones with real people in to the ones with people who probably just go to the gym and don't do anything else). You're supposed to be finding something you enjoy. So if you can't settle there, find another place that will give you a free trial and see whether it is better. Or look for classes in village halls/community centres.

When I joined my current Pilates classes just over 3 years ago, I was very definitely the worst there. Now I'm probably one of the most advanced - but not with everything as we all have our limitations. And that's because I do two (or sometimes, like this week, three) classes a week where most people just do one.

Remember, going to the gym isn't the same as being strong and fit in everyday life, so you're asking your body to do something different. It'll be tough to begin with, but at some point soon you'll start to feel the benefits both physically and mentally as all those endorphins kick in. And in the meantime, just try to treat it as a break from your daily routine. Try some classes, try the gym, see what makes you feel like you've done something and are pushing yourself. Remember, you need to compete against yourself, not others.

Hope that all makes sense... I'm working away at the moment and can't sleep (pity, because the hotel is fabulous) so am pretending to work...
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,630 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Bless thanks Greenbee, sorry you can't sleep either!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,630 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Arrrghhhh at the gym waiting on my own no one is talking to me. God this is painful, everyone is busy doing stuff so it's not like i can even jump in anyone's conversation, who knew making friends as an adult would be so difficult!!!!!!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 13-10-2017 at 2:13 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It can be hard missy even as an adult. Stick with it because it's only your second visit. The more people see of you you the more friendly they will feel towards you

What type of people are they? Are they men, women, retired, your age? Have you actually joined now or still on a free trial?
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 13th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Sounds like a good class to me if everyone is fitter and stronger for doing it! Remember we all have to start somewhere and all have different strengths.

I used to belong to a big commercial gym, it was a while before I got talking to some of the regulars, and I actually really enjoyed a small class (it was so small they kept threatening to cancel it, but the instructor enjoyed taking the small class so much he pretty much did it in his own time). I was 20 something at the time, and the other members were all friends (group of couples) in their 50s. I got on fantastically with all of them So it doesn't necessarily have to be a group of people just like you, maybe see if there are any smaller classes?
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    jwil
    It's a minefield missy, but the more you go the more you will see the same people. well done for going
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 24,829 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Missy your fitness will build up the more you go. When I used to go to classes I eventually got talking to the people there as they got used to seeing me. I think a lot of people are shy with strangers. But then you're meant to be going to the gym to get fit not chat
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 5,496 Posts
    • 17,051 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Missy,

Ive been going to my gym for nearly 2 years now and theres only a handful of people I've started talking to. Its really had striking up conversation as an adult! As everyones said keep at it, you really will feel the benefit after a couple of weeks and you will start seeing the same faces etc and start with hi and take it from there.

Happy weekend xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 12,163 Posts
    • 215,480 Thanks
    greenbee
    Smile at people, make the odd casual comment. You'll start to see the same people and then gradually build up an acquaintance. But remember, other people may be shy, and some may be there to have some time alone. I think I mentioned that it took months before I went for a coffee with people I met at the gym. These things take time. And in the meantime you'll get fitter
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 24,829 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I was such a regular at one class I used to go for a coffee with the instructor and she even invited me to her wedding. You do get talking to people but if you want more then you may find they've all got their own lives. I understand how you feel, when I was a young mum I went to mums and toddlers, although I got talking to the other mums they all had their circles of friends, same happened once the kids were at school. It's hard I know I've been there (still am to be honest).
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 14th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    laurenh1
    I second that about mums groups lol I used to sit on my own & watch the boys play lol. But most were babysitters which had gone for years and had their click xx
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 14th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,630 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey everyone! Sorry for my lack of posting! Yes I find that a lot of mums and people etc have their own friends. I stuck out the gym and then even went to a class straight after, and felt more at home. Think some will be clicky I'm sure but I worked really, really hard and now can barely move so it's actually doing me some good too! And I can easily lose hours there which gets rid of my boredom too!
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 5,496 Posts
    • 17,051 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    So glad you've stuck it with the gym Missy. Is your oldest at school yet? Thats always a good place to meet new people too xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 15th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 23,290 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you've had a lovely weekend Missy x
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

8,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin