Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,748Posts
    • 19,858Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of £340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only £10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 1
    • Lucylocks
    • By Lucylocks 10th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Lucylocks
    • 10th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    I have a Roo too! Best name ever. Good luck!
    LBM 28/3/17 £24,971 28/6/17 £14,376 42% paid
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 10th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    Thanks LucyLocks.

Well I'm home from work and have had a good look in the cupboards and fridge.
    Pretty sure I can keep to my £10 this week.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 8:39 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 11th Aug 17, 8:39 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 8:39 AM
    Ok have enough fresh stuff to last the weekend, if I eak out the milk! Think I have some oat milk in the cupboard if not.

So this is my list for Aldi

Bananas x 10 120
    Bread x 3 105
    Pasta 29
    Porridge 75
    Beans 23
    Carrots 42
    Passata 35
    Tomatoes 29
    Peas 69
    Broccoli 89
    Sugar 59
    Milk 145
    Mince 145
    Bleach 40

Not quite £10 but I have a £1.50 contingency that I've just found on the side lol.

Have apples to pick from the garden and berries to make jam hence the sugar.

Will post meal plan in a bit
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    Obv amazing At maths, all of the above comes to £10.05!!! so I can keep most of my contingency!

Children will have cereal for breakfast as have a new unopened box Of shreddies type cereal. So that should last the week. I have bags and bags of frozen bananas and protein mix from last year, so I'll have that for breakfast. Littlies will have sandwiches, and I have eggs and cake making bits so will make cakes for snacks, and I have pears and will pick apples. I will prob have toast for lunch or chia pudding. And I have a list for dinners, will find and post shortly!

So tonight I will sort my credit card out to be 0%. And sort out a DD. I need to eBay stuff this weekend as well as have a big clear out. Not at work until next weds. Going to be as No spend As possible and throw any extra £ at the debt. Have been driving at 60mph instead of 80mph obviously I mean 70mph! and that is saving me money too. Need to drop OH off at airport at 1pm but will get started house sorting after that!
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Aug 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 4,164 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:18 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:18 AM
    Sounds like you have a great opportunity to lower your grocery spends for 6 weeks! I could never do that with my husband home but if it was just the kids and I, I could probably last 2-3 weeks on what we have and £10 of fresh stuff. It's just about being smart about it, isn't it?

Good luck with the ebaying! That's one thing that keeps slipping to the very bottom of my list every week.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3554.32 £250.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4829.43 £245 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £12,369.24 (£2,631.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,752 | Total debt paid: £3,080 (13%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    Hi JoJoC! Yep I have had eBay stuff in a bag for years!!! But I WILL do some this weekend!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    Good luck with it missymoo
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 10:21 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 11th Aug 17, 10:21 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 10:21 AM
    Thanks redofromstArt. Am desperately waiting for the solar panels to kick in as have 5 loads of washing to do, and want to do it for free!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 11:21 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok OH has mowed the lawn, I've picked a whole collander of blackberries, have the prickles to prove it! And have just stuck a wash load on! Kitchen is a state but will do that later on this afternoon. Am going to try and do the ironing in the sunshine later too. Busy, busy! Small ones want dippy egg and soldiers for dinner! That's nice and easy and I shall have beans on toast (my favourite!). Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 11th Aug 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,262 Thanks
    louby40
    Sun has gone in here now, think we are due rain later.

Love your £10 a week food spend. I usually spend £60 but we too have done a stock check of cupboard and freezer stuff and a meal plan and I've just spent £39 in Aldi.

Feta salad for lunch for me then we're having bacon, eggs, mushrooms for tea!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £50/£600 Car maintenance £100/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 NOV £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £142
    Car loan £2696 Mortgage £94,992
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £108,323 (without mortgage) = £13,331
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Aug 17, 12:08 PM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    quintwins
    Sounds like your doing great, I'm also eating out of the freezer but my cupboards are bare and I use more than £10 a week just on milk and bread. Still I'm finding some amazing stuff in my freezer
    DFW £1263/£28996 4.3%

EF#240 £0
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Aug 17, 12:24 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks for the reminder about the blackberries, I've been and collected the latest crop and added it to the (frozen) pile for bramble jelly.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 4:51 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks Louby40, I love Aldi, Quintins, we use about three loaves of bread a week and about 6 pints of milk if I go easy on the milk in my tea. The rest of the shopping is usually taken up by loads of fruit!

Managed to pick 2 colainders of plums from out the front, so shall be making jam tomorrow! 5 loads of washing done and dried. We've just had eggy soldiers and beans on toast. Littlies are playing in the garden whilst I fold the washing outside. It must be nearly time for a cup of tea!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 5:27 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Any ideas on what to watch on tv this evening whilst I do my ironing? I've got Netflix and Amazon? Brrr bit chilly outside now!
    • gwynfil
    • By gwynfil 11th Aug 17, 6:00 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    gwynfil
    Stick with it
    I'm just starting my year of trying to get debt free and budgeting for food really helps. It's also great how you can become very inventive, when you have to use what you have got or stick to a very small budget.
    I have just started to not buy any alcohol either. This is saving me about £20 a week and I feel less hungry and more able to plan. A triple bonus. The difficult bit is sticking to it, when you have an off day, but it always help when I read about other people trying to get their debts down- it makes it seem less daunting and keeps me going.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 6:33 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi Gywnfil! Lovely to see you! Yes it's sticking to it that's the problem for me too! But I will try!! I'm also going alcohol free for 6 weeks, that will save a little money too!
    I'm also trying to get the house more organised! As is such a mess all of the time I can't seem to think straight for clutter!!! You know what they say 'tidy house, tidy mind' or something like that! I am currently wading through the clean washing! You can't even see the floor on the landing for the piles I'm sorting everything into. A bit later I am going to get my laptop out and write notes on the things I need to do/get done, and how to break my debts down and what pots my wages are going to go into.

Thanks so much for reading and writing lovelies, I really appreciate it x
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 8:22 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok have had to call it a night on the laundry, I've been sorting clothes for 2.5 hours!!! All are sorted and in piles ready to go away but I've had enough for today!!! It's been a v productive day.
    Food wise I have spent nothing I did spend £5 on parking at the airport which I've felt pretty cranky about until...... I've just been sorting through my bags and I've just found 5 shiny £1 coins!!!! So evens that out. And here's for the really good news, drumroll please...... I've had a letter from the tax man and I am getting £250 back as have paid too much tax this year!!! Yaaaaay that's coming straight of Mr creditcard!

Need to look at getting my 0% card to transfer others over to then see where I am. Don't think I can do it tonight though, am cream crackered, as my dad would say

Still on for spending £10 on Monday at Ald!, dinners for the next 7 days will be something like:
    Saturday HM pizza
    Sunday sausage mash and carrots
    Monday bolognese
    Tuesday shep pie
    Wednesday children are at grandmas, I'll prob have beans on toast
    Thursday cheese and broccoli pasta
    Friday HM pizza
    Saturday burritos
    Sunday BBQ at sisters

I honestly need v little for dinners for a very long time as cupboards and freezers etc are so so full. Stupid to have bought so much food in the past. But you live and learn don't you.

I'm really hoping I may have some of my wages left over as I have lost my electric toothbrush?! I know I have no idea how I've done it, but I've been using OH's but he's taken his away with him. So I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one! But we'll see if I have anything left!

Got lots to do tomorrow list will be something like this:
    Wash and change all bedding
    Hang up all clean washing
    Tidy kitchen
    Unload DW
    Hoover
    Start sorting!
    Make jam (not sure I have enough sugar actually, might have to wait)

That's it for now
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 10:01 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok deep breath. I have just looked at my bank account and it's much lower that I thiught only £175 in there!

I need to pay £155 off the t£Sco credit card this month. I can NOT add any more to it. This is the one OH pays off each month but it's super high as I bought myself some holiday stuff on it, so it's £155 over what it normally is so I need to pay that. But it means no spending on it until 23rd when the month the restarts ... Which is fine as I have £20 in my purse for 2 weeks food but I drive 200 miles a week for work, not sure my fuel will last?! Will continue to drive like miss daisy and keep my fingers crossed!!!

Here's the bad but, I also have another cC payment of £135 due on my other credit cards....

Which I obviously don't have?!

But I have a plan.... Ish.... I'm going to apply for my new Cc tomorrow and transfer the debt from the others (hopefully), (and cut them up)which will mean no payment this month. So that's sorted. I will have £20 left in my bank after paying T£Sco CC which should cover petrol If absolutely need it and the cost of a non electric toothbrush, as can't afford an electric one now lol. But needs must oh it will cover bus fare into town on Monday to take small ones to the library.

Gosh sorry I've rambled loads today but I'm determined to get myself straight!
    Omg I'm hungry. The beans on toast at 4.30 have left me somewhat hungry now!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th Aug 17, 10:12 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Get the bag of eBay things listed Every penny helps

You're doing amazing and I've subscribed so I can follow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,093Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter