Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,105Posts
    • 5,407Thanks
    MeandO
    Striving to save and stay solvent!
    • 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    Striving to save and stay solvent! 16th May 17 at 9:03 PM
    My previous thread felt a bit old hat and I need to start afresh with a bit more positivity, looking forward rather than back, so here goes...

Although I'm not in debt anymore (apart from the mortgage), I'm not able to overpay my mortgage until I've worked on the savings pots as I really do have practically no money behind me once essential repairs are paid for on this house. Money is extremely tight now I've dropped to part time and am a single parent to my little boy, so I feel more at home here on the DFW board if you'll have me!

It wouldn't take huge emergency to force me back into relying on a credit card or loan again. I really don't want to (and can't afford to) get back into that postion so I have to focus and stay on the straight and narrow.

Link to the previous diary for those interested:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5490668
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Now debt free
    Savings: £
    885.86/£2000
    Mortgage at 24/11/2016: £97,000 Now: £78,984.42

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
Page 3
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 27th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hi Chandelier, thanks for popping by

Yes, believe it or not, that is quite a reasonable quote as the same guy is doing it that is completing the rest of my ongoing renovations of old doors and windows, so has given me a good price. He's a lovely chap too and very trustworthy, just a shame I don't have more dosh in the bank to cover everything without feeling a bit squeaky about it.

I don't actually get a lunch break at work now, so I have to bring lunch in or not eat - believe me, I was never this organised when I was full time!

I was thinking of sending a complaint, but I'm juggling so many other things at the minute that temptaion is to just draw a line under it and move on (and never use that particularly "un CO-OPerative" energy provider ever again.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 28th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    I had a box of washing powder delivered last night to test for a survey, so that is a little added bonus and will save some pennies.

Had a NSD yesterday, today won't be as I need to pick up some fruit, hair dye and a few toiletries I've run out of. Planning on a quick home bargains visit to keep the cost of these down though.

Didn't get the ebay stuff listed or orders made last night, OH popped over with his little one and by the time they'd left and DS was in bed it was too late to get anything other than a shower and hair wash done.
    I really need to get those orders done tonight, ebay can wait now.

Not much else to add today. My parents are both in really bad health and times are worrying at the moment, work is awful and I'm feeling glum about things presently, hope I can shake it off soon.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 28th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 23,290 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Keep your chin up, you're doing fab x
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 28th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you HiddenIdentity, that was much needed. xx
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 29th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just over £6 spent yesterday in Home Bargains and everything that I needed was bought, plus a little chocolatey treat for DS.

Two extra portions of tarka daal leftovers went into the freezer last night for another day. One portion of mince & sauce taken out to make spaghetti bolognaise for DS today.

Really disappointed to see that some little problem damp patches are coming through the brand new wallpaper I put up throughout the hall areas a few months ago. I guess that's the 'joys' of an old house.

Should be getting a quote for the bathroom work today, but won't hold my breath as it's been promised for months now.

I've decided to return a couple of purchases I bought last month which I'd really like to keep and would be helpful, but the balance on the credit card is bothering me more, so that will be another £126 paid off when it's refunded.

Should be another NSD today. I'm planning on tomorrow being the same too, apart from possibly some business postage which will come out of the business account. I have promised to take DS to the cinema at the weekend, so I'm going to try to not spend anything else until then.

Have a good day all
    x
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 30th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Bathroom quote came through this morning - £1000, which I just don't have. I was hoping it would be nearer the £500 mark but guess I was being optimistic.
    I'm not sure what to do as it has to be done, and this guy is trustworthy, recommended and doesn't overcharge like many others, but I have a huge £2k building bill to pay soon and there's only £2,800 in my ISA at the moment. Do I quickly try and save the extra £200 to cover it and then leave myself with no savings at all and then save as much as possible after then to build that pot back up again, or do I just carry on with the building site bathroom. The shower's given up now and is just permanently scalding so DS can't use it, amongst other problems in there.

I could ask my parents to lend me some money, but they never want me to pay it back and, tbh, they've helped me out so much that I feel awful.

Just this presently >>> .
    Last edited by MeandO; 30-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 30th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Oh, and DS came home with a huge (unfixable) rip to his coat yesterday too so will need a new one.

On a plus, I've sorted a couple of items of clothing to return which will bring £21 back into the account. Guess it will have to go straight in the savings pot.
    Last edited by MeandO; 30-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 30th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    I've been thinking about how to make the extra cash all morning, I absolutely have to get that work done so I'm doing what I can to scrape every little bit of cash together.

I've checked my surveys accounts and I currently have about £25, need to get to £35 for payout so will be doing any of those as soon as they come in.

£21 pending to the debit card can go towards it when they items are refunded. Need to post/return to the shop tomorrow.

Ebay - I don't have much to ebay presently, but will list the few bits I do have this weekend. There is nothing of major value but every little will help.

I've promoted my small business this morning in the hope of bringing in a few more orders. July was notoriously a really good month for me and I could earn up to around £700 in a month, but due to plaguerism, unfortunately the last few years it has dwindled to a tiny percentage of that. Still, I am grateful for any orders these days.

I'm doing really well with the budgets presently, so I need to keep that up. I've only spent around £25 of the food budget so, if I can come under budget this month (which will be a first!) then I can add any leftover cash to the building fund.

I've meal planned evening meals for the next week now and I have everything in the freezer I need to cover this. I may need to pick up , some milk for DS, a couple of bits to cover packed lunches and some squash but that will be all.

I have forgotten about a birthday that I will need to buy for within the next two weeks but I have a £10 love to shop voucher I was given for my birthday which I could use to buy something.

I will do this! I may not have any money left at the end of it, but I will cover it and start the savings from scratch again!
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 30th Jun 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    today wasn't a NSD unfortunately, I had to pop out to a shop earlier as there were a few diy bits I needed for the house, but I went to the range and managed to pick up two lovely birthday presents - one for next week's birthday and one is a while off in November, but it was perfect for the recipient. Both only cost me £13.48 combined!
    I also picked up some bits for ds's lunchbox next week and a couple of household bits I needed.

Today my lovely parents sent me £20 in the post in payment for a few bits I ordered for them. These only cost under a tenner but they won't take the change despite me telling them they'd overpaid.
    I've transferred the £20 straight into the building savings pot.

Finally got the orders done, ready for posting tomorrow, along with a return worth £8.

The high value item was refunded today, so that should be £126 back to the cc now. I will check the balance in a few days.

I've also sorted 3 bags of charity shop stuff which I will also drop off tomorrow as I'm fed up with it taking over my spare room.

Tomorrow is hopefully a day of getting things done and ticking a few off the list!

Have a great weekend all.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 30th Jun 17, 11:32 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    You have my utmost sympathy...it is a balancing act trying to juggle costs and savings. Hope the promotion of your small business yields some sales.
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 1st Jul 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you Honeysuckle Lou, you're right about the balancing act.

We've had quite a productive morning, all orders were made last night and posted this morning along with the postal return. We took over 3 bags to the charity shop and cleared a big space in my 'office' room. We returned the £14 item and picked up a few bits we'd run out of whilst we were at the supermarket, although I forgot squash, so we'll have to pop back later or tomorrow.

I've washed 3 loads of washing and put it all on the line to dry whilst it is a lovely drying day. I have actually been saving the washing until today as I knew it was going to be a good drying day, thus avoiding the tumble dryer.
    DS's bed has been stripped and changed and the sheets and duvet are billowing nicely on the line.

I've also been researching showers and shower trays and looking for good buys. Not thrilling stuff, but necessary. Have decided I can reuse some of what is already in place to save money, will just give it a good clean up.

We're off to a BBQ shortly. Absolutely not feeling in the mood and am just exhausted for some reason. Every muscle in my body is aching and sore, but I know it won't go down well if we don't go, so we shall show our faces.

Hope the sun is shining for you all.
    x
    Last edited by MeandO; 03-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 3rd Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    We had a lovely time at the BBQ as it was. To be fair, not even OH was looking forward as we were all feeling a bit under the weather this weekend, but it was really lovely to catch up with a few people and just have a good chat and lots of laughs. DS enjoyed as he had other children to play with.

Yesterday I took DS to the cinema as promised, OH came along with his little one too so we split a family ticket, but still cost £17 for DS and I. We took snacks and drinks, never will I buy overpriced cinema snacks! DS wanted McD's and as we hadn't had one for months I agreed, so £8 was spent there, but came from my purse rather than the bank account.

We stopped off at a shop afterwards and picked up a few bits including the squash I'd forgotten, but OH insisted on paying.

We went out to a local event in the afternoon, avoiding parking charges by parking further away and taking a nice walk through a park to get there. We didn't spend any money though, so had a lovely afternoon out for nought.
    OH and I used up leftover bits from the BBQ for tea last night and made us each a lunchbox with the last of the bits for today.
    Lunches for the rest of the week will be bagels with various toppings - I picked up 3 bags of bagels in Asda on Saturday, reduced to 52p a bag, so they've gone in the freezer ready to take out each morning which then defrost by lunchtime.

This morning I've caught up with YNAB. The bank account looks low as almost all payments come out on the 1st for me, but YNAB is telling me I have plenty if I stick to the budgets.

Worrying news about one of the parentals this weekend, so that has overshadowed my mood tbh. Trying not to dwell on things too much for DS's sake, but its not easy. I wish I could make everything better.
    Speaking of the parentals, they have very kindly given me £200 towards the bathroom fund. I didn't ask them, they just seem to have this sixth sense as to when I'm struggling. They are so kind and wonderful to us, I feel like a bit of a failure sometimes that I'm still having financial help from them in my late 30s.

I had another business order in and a couple of enquiries for pending orders. Not a huge sum of money by any means, but it all helps.

I've transferred a spare £4odd from the business account into the overpayment pot today after looking at my mortgage and seeing that over half of my monthly payment is going on interest. I need to raise £243 in that account before the end of the year to top up the large amount I overpaid at the beginning of the year to make it up to the full 10% of overpayment allowed on one of my mortgage sub accounts.
    It's hard to know how to split savings when there are 3 or 4 different pots I need to save towards. Do I split it 4 ways or 'fill' one up them tackle the next? Anyone else find it hard to know what to do?
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 3rd Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 22,155 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Glad the BBQ turned out ok in the end.

Sorry to read that there is bad news on the parentals.

Fab news on the gift from them - I think there are a lot of adults of all ages receiving support from their parents still. As long as they are not leaving themselves short then why shouldn't they support you and DS?

It's hard to know how to split savings when there are 3 or 4 different pots I need to save towards. Do I split it 4 ways or 'fill' one up them tackle the next? Anyone else find it hard to know what to do?
    Originally posted by MeandO
    I fill up all pots at the same time as I like the psychological boost that I am actually learning to budget for the future and that I will get myself sorted eventually.
    I like to see the small amounts grow and gaze in awe at all my little savings accounts with names like Car Replacement, Car Repair etc
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Glad the BBQ turned out ok in the end.

Sorry to read that there is bad news on the parentals.

Fab news on the gift from them - I think there are a lot of adults of all ages receiving support from their parents still. As long as they are not leaving themselves short then why shouldn't they support you and DS?

I fill up all pots at the same time as I like the psychological boost that I am actually learning to budget for the future and that I will get myself sorted eventually.
    I like to see the small amounts grow and gaze in awe at all my little savings accounts with names like Car Replacement, Car Repair etc
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant

Thank you Eager_Elephant

I think I may adopt your savings approach too. I've been 'Tilly Tidying' my account for a day or two and have been putting that straight into the first overpayment saver to build it up to my target of £243 before the end of the year. There's £5.79 in there presently it does build up quickly-ish.

I think any sums over £10 I will split between the savings pots though, as you siad, it will be nice to see them all building up slowly.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    I completed one survey last night, was screened out of another and also a product test. Points are building up nicely though in the two accounts I have.

OH popped over last night and brought me some YS bargains for dinner tonight, some lovely fresh cherries and strawberries and some DIY supplies I need to finish off a job that he has surplus of. He is a sweetheart.
    I had put some bottom-of-the-fridge veg, tinned tomatoes and some spices in the slow cooker last night to make a mexican stew, but I can easily save that for tomorrow now or freeze some portions. I also took chicken out of the freezer so will cook that tonight and shred it for tomorrow.

I've started to compile a shopping list for another online delivery using the grocery saver I bought. It's £4 a month and shopping this way does seem to be working for me both in terms of saving time and money, so I think it's money well spent. When the list is tipping over the £40 mark I'll place the order. I still have some £5 off vouchers they sent me too, so I'll be using those as well.

I've tilly tidied the account today and transferred another 70p to the OP pot. Received interest of 80p in the main account - I'll try not to spend it all at once. YNAB has been updated and I am keeping spends to essentials for once. Have resisted tempation to buy lovely things I have seen on sale but don't need and can't afford. Fingers crossed I keep it up!

I used some of the DIY savings last night to buy flooring for my bathroom. It was a roll end remnant so a bargain price of £62 with free delivery. I won't need it for a little while, but as it was half the price I'll store it until it's time to lay the flooring - which I've decided to attempt myself! . I'm pretty handy, can do a lot of DIY and don't mind tackling a project, so I'm sure I can do it, build some new skills and save myself a wad of cash in the process.

Not sleeping great at the moment, feeling quite anxious, worn out and constantly close to tears but think that's just worrying about the parental situation. No great news from there yet unfortunately.

Hopefully a NSD today, only possible spend could be on a stamp for bro's Birthday card if I can't find one in my purse but hopefully I have a couple left.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    £8 refund has hit the account so I've sent that over to the first OP pot. I've almost got £40 in there now of my £340 target so when it gets to £40 I'm going to send it over to the mortgage as an OP, then set to work on the remaining £300.
    I'm concerned that when my mortgage deal ends in February, the bank will refuse to 're-lend' me the full amount as I'm now part time. I may be worrying too much about this but it wont hurt to pay it down as much as I can before then.

One large survey done and a nice amount of points earned tonight, am almost at £20 payout on that one now. Screened out of another survey with the other company.

Found a stamp so a NSD for me too
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    I had a few more orders yesterday resulting in a little bit of business income hitting the bank account this morning. With this, I've managed to round the first OP pot up to £40 and have sent it to the mortgage as a little overpayment. Had a nightmare trying to get it to work online, after 30 minutes on the phone to Lloyds, being passed to 3 different departments and then finally a foreign call centre who hung up on me I gave up and figured it out myself online. It seems you can't make payments from e-savers even though it gives you the option to do so in the drop down menu, it will only let me pay from my main debit account. Anyway, problem sorted and OP made.

There is still around £40 in the business account which, once I've paid for postage, any leftover will be swept towards the next OP.

£60 paid off the credit card last night, OH will be sending me £150 of his part of the holiday funds soon so that will be paid off it too, leaving the balance under £350. I'll get rid of that within a couple of months hopefully.

Tonight I need to do the dreaded tax return for the year just gone. I've made a start on and, as I did a lot less work last year due to the house move, it shouldn't take me too long. I will then be able to send actual figures to child tax credits and know how much tax I need to pay on my self employment income, if any. It wasn't a good year and I'm not entirely sure if I even made a profit.

Should be another NSD for me today, I'm doing well with those this week!
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just ordered 2 x £10 vouchers from a survey account. It is supplied as prepaid mastercard voucher type thingies so I'll use those to put towards the grocery bill and transfer £20 out of the pot to go towards the bathroom savings.
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    I've done the accounts and updated the child tax credits with my actual self employment income from last year. It is about £500 less than I'd estimated, so hopefully that will mean there is a little more tax credits due to me. Possibly. Maybe...
    Tonight I just need to complete my tax return online and then I'll know how much tax is due before January. It really shouldn't be a lot, thankfully.

I've just completed another survey for a large amount of points which has tipped me over the £10 balance in that account, meaning that I can request payout when it's confirmed. That'll go in the bathroom fund too.

One load of washing has been done and line drying presently. It's amusing me that I will only do washing on a sunny day now unless absolutely necessary!

Tonight I need to meal plan for the coming week and portion up and freeze the stew that's been in the fridge since yesterday. Then hopefully a nice relaxing evening of reading in the bath and then an early night. That's the plan anyway...
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    MeandO
    ...the best laid plans and all that...

Didn't get to my soak in the bath, DS was struggling to get to sleep as it's so warm, so he was awake later than normal. Then I started taking photos for eBay/gumtree items, portioned the stew, froze it and washed up. OH phoned with a problem he wanted to chat about and then I started to do an online grocery order for tomorrow as I realised I have the cheapest delivery plan so if I don't get it delivered tomorrow I would have to wait until Tuesday and end up doing a weekend of top up shopping which is where my money usually does a disappearing act to!
    So, shopping ordered, list stuck to and a £5 off voucher used. I also had a £7 off one but that doesn't kick in until next week so couldn't use that one unfortunately. Shopping will come in at around £50.

I've looked at my previous orders and it seems that I'm naturally doing a main grocery shop every 2.5 weeks, so only twice a month really and they're averaging between £50-£60 a time. Small top up shopping is definitely my downfall. As soon as I step into a supermarket I end up buying things I fancy or stuff we really don't need. Despite paying £4 a month for the delivery saver, this way of shopping really does seem to be helping me keep my budget down.

I've allowed £175 this month for groceries (which included cleaning products etc) but I reckon I could get it under £150 this month which would be a vast improvement on the £300 + I have actually been spending when I've totalled everything up.

I've received my £20 survey rewards onto the prepaid virtual cards, but forgot to use them towards my shopping. I'm not sure I can anyway as I don't think I would have been able to enter multiple payment types into the checkout, but I'll use them for something else's if not and just swap the cash over from a different pot.

A previous squirrelled away small portion of leftover tagine is out of the freezer and defrosting for my lunch tomorrow and Ds's lunchbox has been made. OH has informed me he's cooking me a rather marvellous dinner tomorrow evening so I'm looking forward to that!
    Now debt free
    885.86/£2000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

8,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin