Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 24th Jun 13, 3:53 PM
    • 3,122Posts
    • 28,691Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Knit Witch's NitWit LBM, debt busting with yarn!
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:53 PM
    Knit Witch's NitWit LBM, debt busting with yarn! 24th Jun 13 at 3:53 PM
    Okay I need to shift £3k of various debts, I need to shift rather a lot of weight and I need a plan! At the moment I have lots of yarn so I am planning on knitting to keep me away from snacking and on-line shopping

The main thing is I reckon I can clear £200 a month - possibly more so I need to knuckle down and do so! (and not buy any more! )
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

V3ry - £1,119.41 and S1mplyBe - £593.18
Page 3
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 1st Jul 13, 11:23 AM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 10,405 Thanks
    ellie99
    Hi Knit Witch

Have been reading through, and I must say you're tempting me to start making things again. I used to have knitting or crocheting on the go all the time, having learnt both as a child. I knitted lots for my children, until they went to school and decided knitted jumpers were *itchy*, and didn't want to wear them any more. As the price of mass produced clothes came down ,and the price of nice wool went up, it wasn't worth the effort making them things.

(Although I'm old enough to remember how to get cheap wool...when I was a teenager I would go to jumble sales with my granny, and look for large knitted garments. Then I unpicked and unravelled, wrapping the wool round someone else's hands into hanks, then it was washed to get the kinks out, then rolled into balls...sorted!

I haven't made anything for years, I still have my needles though, I wonder if I can remember how to do it, I could do everything from lacy 3 ply to complicated aran patterns

joanne109...you can knit when you're left handed, you just need to find the knack that works for you. I'm left handed, and can knit okay, but have to sit in a certain way, because the needles get a bit in the way!

I think basic crochet is much easier...I was sent to a left handed neighbour to learn it, because my mother just couldn't get through to me...so I used to crochet with the old lady down the street
    I quite fancy crocheting a blanket, it's the cost of the wool that's putting me off (my stash is long gone)...does anyone know of a good place to buy?

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jul 13, 12:49 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I don't knit so you're all doing better than me.Fancy your cleaner not showing up.Could you not get another one?
    Originally posted by taxi73
    I need to start looking - I have phoned the company twice, got the answer machine and no returned call
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jul 13, 12:50 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    You only gotta ask

Happy July!!

Ummmm... enjoy your cleaning today
    Originally posted by HeadAboveWater
    Thanks .... I think
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jul 13, 12:51 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hello Knit Witch,

Interesting that so many failed knitters are left-handed (yup, another one here ).

Hope you can find a new cleaner soon; don't like to think of poor DrKW making his allergies worse by doing the hoovering..
    Originally posted by *Robin*
    I'm not keen either! but it has to be done unfortunately
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jul 13, 12:53 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi Knit Witch

I quite fancy crocheting a blanket, it's the cost of the wool that's putting me off (my stash is long gone)...does anyone know of a good place to buy?
    Originally posted by ellie99
    Hi ellie99

Try charity shops, occasionally you can get decent bargains there
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• taxi73
    perhaps the cleaning firm have gone bust or something major has happened...are there no more cleaning firms/ladies in your area?
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 1st Jul 13, 3:22 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    perhaps the cleaning firm have gone bust or something major has happened...are there no more cleaning firms/ladies in your area?
    Originally posted by taxi73
    I hope they haven't! But I will start looking for another one .... sighs
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 2nd Jul 13, 6:08 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Well I may have found another cleaning company (which is good) but we may have a go at cleaning ourselves first. If we can manage then that would save me £40 a month - and that is a fair chunk of my debts each time

Dr KW has decided we need to de-clutter some clothes , if we can do so then cleaning in the bedroom would be more straight forward (hmm would this give me more yarn storage space? ..... no I musn't think of more yarn! )

Made a payment to isme today (I don't count bill payments as ruining a NSD ) and I didn't even look at anything on the site - so go me , on Friday I should be able to make a decent payment off my CC - so that will help as well, now off to knit!
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 9th Jul 13, 11:14 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Hello

How's your week been? Enjoying the fab sunshine??

Have you decided what to do about the cleaning? Try it yourselves for a month or 2, see how you get on, then if you still feel the need for a cleaner then go for it. But it'll save you a bit of money at least.

How's the knitting going??
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Jul 13, 2:18 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The knitting is going slowly! (Aran yarn and hot weather are not the best combination ), the decent payment got made () so that is creeping off the debt and when it comes to the cleaning we are going to try for a couple of months (as you suggest HAW) and if necessary look for some one to help. We are trying to get the house sorted so that should help a bit in any case.
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 23rd Jul 13, 11:19 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Helloooooooo?? Where are yooooooooooou??
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Jul 13, 11:52 AM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Helloooooooo?? Where are yooooooooooou??
    I've been away on my holidays (sound of a brussel sprout hitting a wall ), actually we went to see family in Cheshire and Lancashire and then a week in Wales (too darned hot though! We had to stay inside or fry )

The cleaners are here , so a nice clean house, the wardrobe is getting done tomorrow (no more dusty shirts! ), I have decided to go all out and clear the ISME account as it is on a higher interest than the CC - then snowball onto the CC (oh and if I need any more clothes - which I don't! then Dr KW gets money off at ISME and Figleaves - and the only things I might need are undies )

What else? Hmm the holiday piled some weight back on, but I reckon a couple of weeks of good food and no should get me well and truly back on track! Knitting, well that ain't happening, it is too hot for yarn! but after tomorrow I might get back on with the tapestry, as I want to get that finished and made into a cushion.
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 23rd Jul 13, 2:55 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Aw your holiday sounds fab! The weather made it I'm sure! Although tough to sit out in Really shouldn't complain

Holidays just means more time to eat Have to admit I ate bundles while I was off, but apparently I kept active enough that I actually lost 0.2kgs!!!

And I also agree that in this weather it's hard to stay off the Or Magners... Or West Coasts...
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Jul 13, 3:21 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Aw your holiday sounds fab! The weather made it I'm sure! Although tough to sit out in Really shouldn't complain

Holidays just means more time to eat Have to admit I ate bundles while I was off, but apparently I kept active enough that I actually lost 0.2kgs!!!

And I also agree that in this weather it's hard to stay off the Or Magners... Or West Coasts...
    and the problem is that nice cool alcoholic drinks slip down soooooo easily

Hmm did I see on another thread that you now have a bike?
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 23rd Jul 13, 3:33 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Sooooo easily is an understatement! They're just sooooo refreshing straight outta the freezer on a hot day.... Oh dear... drool...

Yup you did BTW, 'bike' as in bicycle as opposed to motorbike I'm not wealthy insane enough to buy the latter just yet. I'll leave that to OH
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Jul 13, 3:37 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Sooooo easily is an understatement! They're just sooooo refreshing straight outta the freezer on a hot day.... Oh dear... drool...

Yup you did BTW, 'bike' as in bicycle as opposed to motorbike I'm not wealthy insane enough to buy the latter just yet. I'll leave that to OH
    I keep muttering about getting a trike (Dr KW pointed out that the only way I would have a trike and go out on it was if it had the words Harley Davidson along the side )
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 23rd Jul 13, 3:41 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Hmmm.... how about this and this instead??
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Jul 13, 4:24 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hmmm.... how about this and this instead??
    Yes but I need the trike first (and I would need somewhere for my crutches )
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 27th Jul 13, 2:07 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    the forums are back!! (I was hyperventilating at a weekend without my MSE fix so soon after my 10 days away )

I had my weigh in on Thursday and I have lost most of the weight gained (I could do with losing another couple of pounds by Thursday of this coming week so I have actually list for that weigh in but hey will take what I can!)

We have a new (posh) built in wardrobe so todays task is sorting my clothes into the in built chest of drawers (out of an old MDF blanket box)
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 30th Jul 13, 3:49 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Very well done
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

8,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin