Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 24th Jun 13, 3:53 PM
    • 3,122Posts
    • 28,691Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Knit Witch's NitWit LBM, debt busting with yarn!
    • 24th Jun 13, 3:53 PM
    Knit Witch's NitWit LBM, debt busting with yarn! 24th Jun 13 at 3:53 PM
    Okay I need to shift £3k of various debts, I need to shift rather a lot of weight and I need a plan! At the moment I have lots of yarn so I am planning on knitting to keep me away from snacking and on-line shopping

The main thing is I reckon I can clear £200 a month - possibly more so I need to knuckle down and do so! (and not buy any more! )
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

V3ry - £1,119.41 and S1mplyBe - £593.18
Page 2
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 27th Jun 13, 11:59 AM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Okay had a quick check though my wardrobe and I seem to be fine for clothes (having just got some more supports for the "girls"!), even as I lose weight I should be fine for tops (undies will need replacing every so often mind you! and I might need some more trousers - but not for a while), so the money I would spend on those types of things can go towards extra payments for my CC and isme accounts (the latter might be the easiest to clear first, and then when I need replacements for stuff I can buy through them but pay straight away, keeping myself straight). Snowballing means clearing that one first then my CC, I tend to stress spend so keeping myself knitting should help with that as well

Speaking of the knitting, I am fairly sure I have enough yarn to keep me going for a while (oh and another tapestry - so both of those can help as well!), the knitting and tapestry work will also help with the diet - which seems to be going well, the official weigh in for that is a week today but I have lost 4 pounds already
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 27th Jun 13, 12:11 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    First thing first.... *subscribe*

Hello

I have nooooo need for any new clothes for a very long time! In the last couple of years, I've pretty much replaced my entire wardrobe!! All due to 3 reasons:
    1. my figure has changed rather a lot, I've gone down several sizes, and clothes actually fit me now
    2. I'm debt free and I can actually afford to buy clothes for the first time ever!
    3. OH is rather fussy about his clothes (if you met him in the street you'd probably think he was gay ) and I usually dress to match his style. eg. suit/dress, jeans&shirt/skinny jeans&heels, hoodie/hoodie

I asked on my diary what you were knitting but I've found the answer!!

Good luck with losing your debt and some weight Well done so far!
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 27th Jun 13, 12:26 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    First thing first.... *subscribe*

Hello

I have nooooo need for any new clothes for a very long time! In the last couple of years, I've pretty much replaced my entire wardrobe!! All due to 3 reasons:
    1. my figure has changed rather a lot, I've gone down several sizes, and clothes actually fit me now
    2. I'm debt free and I can actually afford to buy clothes for the first time ever!
    3. OH is rather fussy about his clothes (if you met him in the street you'd probably think he was gay ) and I usually dress to match his style. eg. suit/dress, jeans&shirt/skinny jeans&heels, hoodie/hoodie

I asked on my diary what you were knitting but I've found the answer!!

Good luck with losing your debt and some weight Well done so far!
    Originally posted by HeadAboveWater
    Oooh thank you for reading my diary HAW - I used to be smartly turned out but since I am home alone most of the time I tend to be in yoga pants/t-shirts, with jeans and t-shirts/sweaters for going to the pub (oh and I have one nice pair of trousers and a couple of evening tops for the rare trip out to a nice restaurant )
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Katzen
    • By Katzen 27th Jun 13, 8:50 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    Katzen
    Hi again Knit Witch.
    I'm glad the knitting is helping with the diet, just hope you can stick to the yarn diet too. I'm half way through a pair of fab socks, might have to join you in the finish before July challenge, if you don't mind?
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75

Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
    • Piquant
    • By Piquant 27th Jun 13, 9:07 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Piquant
    Okay so I don't knit, but I'm not going away! Going to hang around and ask yarn questions

I do wear clothes so hopefully that qualifies me to stay subscribed. I used to be very smart too, now I garden for a living I live in jeans, wellies/trainers and shirts.
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 27th Jun 13, 9:22 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi again Knit Witch.
    I'm glad the knitting is helping with the diet, just hope you can stick to the yarn diet too. I'm half way through a pair of fab socks, might have to join you in the finish before July challenge, if you don't mind?
    Originally posted by Katzen
    The more the merrier Katzen

Okay so I don't knit, but I'm not going away! Going to hang around and ask yarn questions

I do wear clothes so hopefully that qualifies me to stay subscribed. I used to be very smart too, now I garden for a living I live in jeans, wellies/trainers and shirts.
    Originally posted by Piquant
    Ask away, I am still fairly new to knitting but I am sure someone could help.

Jeans and trainers sound good to me

Oooh the £30 overpayment I made on my CC MORE than covered the interest for the month - so for that!
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Piquant
    • By Piquant 28th Jun 13, 8:05 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Piquant
    The more the merrier Katzen

Oooh the £30 overpayment I made on my CC MORE than covered the interest for the month - so for that!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Now that's a good feeling! Well done you!
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 28th Jun 13, 11:07 AM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Now that's a good feeling! Well done you!
    Originally posted by Piquant
    As you can tell I was rather happy
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Jun 13, 5:53 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I am going to have a fairly busy week this week, we go away mid July and I need to make plans, my cleaners didn't turn up last week , so I need to do the bits of cleaning I can (need Dr KW to do the vacuuming which will make him ill because of his dust allergy so it might be done Thursday evening before we go to the pub for the book club). I will try and get some damp dusting done tomorrow as well as the bathroom porcelain (shall we say!), I have to be careful as I can't stand for long.

I want to make another overpayment if I can (but I am getting a "re-spray" on my hair but that should only cost £20), my craft meeting only costs £1 tomorrow so that is a cheap afternoon (with yarn ), if I am no longer paying for a cleaner (which is looking increasingly likely!) then the £55 I pay for that could be used for the CC/isme account. I need to decide which first! probably the isme as I want that one gone.

I will probably be needing people on here to keep me on track!
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• cazmanian_minx
    • By cazmanian_minx 30th Jun 13, 6:18 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 18,474 Thanks
    cazmanian_minx
    Where are you off to, anywhere nice?

Scarf progress this week is another three pattern repeats (not that impressive; it's only 58 stitches wide and a 4-row pattern!).
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £114,428.66 Offset: £51,337.84 Amount paid off: £30,716.34 (21.2%) Paying interest on: £63,090.82
    Holiday let:
    02/17: £177,416.86 (Family loan: £129,146.86 + 0% cards £48,270.00) Currently: £169,836.86 Amount paid off: £7,580.00 (4.22%)
    Sugar days 2017: 17/26 Debt-free: 17/02/2017
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Jun 13, 6:28 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Where are you off to, anywhere nice?

Scarf progress this week is another three pattern repeats (not that impressive; it's only 58 stitches wide and a 4-row pattern!).
    Originally posted by cazmanian_minx
    Going to Wales (and if the weather stays like this it will be glorious! )

I have managed about 4 rows of my sweater, so you are doing better than me
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• Katzen
    • By Katzen 30th Jun 13, 7:31 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    Katzen
    Going to Wales (and if the weather stays like this it will be glorious! )

I have managed about 4 rows of my sweater, so you are doing better than me
    And better than me, I haven't even cast my 2nd sock on yet. Best get cracking really!
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75

Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Jun 13, 8:08 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    And better than me, I haven't even cast my 2nd sock on yet. Best get cracking really!
    Originally posted by Katzen
    Have you finished the first one?
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• elantan
    • By elantan 30th Jun 13, 8:54 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 52,569 Thanks
    elantan
    a ha there you are, i read your diary on my phone then couldnt find you again ... have save you now so i should manage to keep up

wish i could crochet, i tried many times but was utterly useless, i need lessons
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Jun 13, 9:06 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,691 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    a ha there you are, i read your diary on my phone then couldnt find you again ... have save you now so i should manage to keep up

wish i could crochet, i tried many times but was utterly useless, i need lessons
    Originally posted by elantan
    My sweater is knitted - would you find that easier?
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

• joanne109
    Hello KW **subscribing**

I can't knit because I'm left handed, well, I can knit but just can't manage the tension so it goes all wonky and out of shape.

I used to do loads of crocheting, to keep my hands off snacks and fags. I knew how to start and keep going but didn't know how to stop. I ended up carrying a huge blanket everywhere with me and pulling it out to add a bit more.
    I gave up in the end.

Anyway, good luck with your diary, I'll drop in every now and again

Joanne
    • elantan
    • By elantan 30th Jun 13, 11:01 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 52,569 Thanks
    elantan
    I think knitting would be even harder than crochet :-)
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
  • taxi73
    I don't knit so you're all doing better than me.Fancy your cleaner not showing up.Could you not get another one?
    • HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 1st Jul 13, 10:56 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    I will probably be needing people on here to keep me on track!
    You only gotta ask

Happy July!!

Ummmm... enjoy your cleaning today
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 1st Jul 13, 11:23 AM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 12,704 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello Knit Witch,

Interesting that so many failed knitters are left-handed (yup, another one here ).

Hope you can find a new cleaner soon; don't like to think of poor DrKW making his allergies worse by doing the hoovering..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

8,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin