Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 166
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 5,889 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Hi folks,

The Top Savings guide has been updated and the top easy-access accounts include the Post Office 1.27% AER variable (incl a 1.02% bonus for 12mths) and Kent Reliance 1.27% AER variable.

RCI Bank have launched a 1.3% AER variable easy-access account, though this does NOT have FSCS protection.

For more information on these accounts - and others - see our Top Savings guide.

Kind regards,
    MSE Karl
    Originally posted by MSE Karl
    Post Office Savings are no longer available to new customers.

Next stop Kent !
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    Do you have a source/link for this comment please?

The online application process seems to start OK at https://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-saver although admittedly I didn't follow it all the way through....
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 6th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    Do you have a source/link for this comment please?

The online application process seems to start OK at https://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-saver although admittedly I didn't follow it all the way through....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    There was a panel on the right hand side of the front page saying that it wasn't available. Obviously somebody has got the calculator out and found that they can take in more money!
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    Also the page in eskbanker's link states that rates are correct s at 5 October 2017, so if it is already 'no longer available to new customers' its the fastest disappearing account seen in a long time.

However, I personally wouldn't use PO for anything to which I need access
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 6th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    I used to have PO Savings accounts some years ago. I seem to remember the main problem was paying in and withdrawing it took an extra day as they are based in Eire. However, I think I withdrew from them, because their interest rates were (at the time) lower than others.
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    Virgin have just announced a 1.2% ISA.
    Originally posted by schiff
    Link?

I can't see it on their website
    Originally posted by badger09
    I had it by personal e-mail, I've got loads of Virgin RSs! As a Man City fan all my life I refuse to indulge.

"So far so good for Man Utd this season. All the signs point to them challenging for more silverware next May.

This makes it the perfect time to tell you about our new Man Utd Double Champions E-ISA.
    Great rate as standard
    When you open it, you’re already guaranteed a decent fixed rate.
    1.20%
    Originally posted by schiff
    Yes, I saw that one, but as the thread title is 'The Top Instant Access Savings Discussion Area' that's what I was looking for.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    I used to have PO Savings accounts some years ago. I seem to remember the main problem was paying in and withdrawing it took an extra day as they are based in Eire. However, I think I withdrew from them, because their interest rates were (at the time) lower than others.
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    That I can accept, and have had accounts with them in the past. However there are ongoing threads suggesting much worse access problems.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    soulsaver
    RCI Freedom Savings 1.3% easy access
    "The UK savings market has been moving positively and we’re proud to have responded with a rate increase, which we’ve made available to both new and existing customers.

The rate on our Freedom Savings Account has increased from 1.20% to a leading easy access rate of 1.30% AER gross variable for new account applications from 06 October 2017."

nb Ported protection to €100K

https://www.rcibank.co.uk/savings/freedom?utm_source=PPC%20advertising&utm_medium=PP C&utm_campaign=RCI%20PPC%20campaign%202015&ppc=1&g clid=CNi4mNu-3NYCFYQPGwod2PIAsw&gclsrc=ds
    Last edited by soulsaver; 06-10-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    colsten
    RCI is not FSCS protected. Good luck if they get into trouble and you want your money out.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 7th Oct 17, 9:28 AM
    • 10,804 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    bigadaj
    RCI is not FSCS protected. Good luck if they get into trouble and you want your money out.
    Originally posted by colsten
    I'm sure the French will be very sympathetic post Brexit.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 7th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    I'm sure the French will be very sympathetic post Brexit.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Mais oui, bien sur
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Oct 17, 1:30 PM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi folks

We've updated the guide with a new top easy-access account from the Bank of Cyprus UK paying 1.28% AER variable:

Top Savings Accounts
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 12th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    dekkard
    Hi folks

We've updated the guide with a new top easy-access account from the Bank of Cyprus UK paying 1.28% AER variable:

Top Savings Accounts
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Easy Access Savings rates are creeping up. Does this mean banks assume the BoE will raise interest rates sooner rather than later?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Easy Access Savings rates are creeping up. Does this mean banks assume the BoE will raise interest rates sooner rather than later?
    Originally posted by dekkard
    It'll be interesting to see whether it does!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • By 2010 13th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4,162 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    Originally posted by dekkard
    Well don`t ask Mark Carney!

Since taking over as governor 5 years ago he`s dithered either way and when he finally made a cut it proved unneeded because it was based on his pessimism about Brexit, which he also got completely wrong.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 13th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Just a note to advise of my experience with Post Office Savings. I re-visited them today given their current 1.27% rate, which is competitive as we speak.

I first had dealings with them a couple of years ago. Customer Service wasn't great then ( I recall I made a complaint at the time). There was an issue then whereby it took 10 days to get funds into my, newly opened account and there were other hiccups at the time. The rate was decent then, but dropped subsequently and I withdrew all but a couple of pounds, thinking that if the rate improved - and if the service improved - then I might return.

Today I called twice and waited 10 and 20 minutes respectively, listening to a painfully distorted racket being played to me whilst on hold (the machine that plays "music" was evidently not working correctly and it sounded like psychedelic running water.

The 10 day situation still exists - something to do with the two different banking systems (UK and Ireland) causing the delay in getting the first payment in to your account. However I was told that if my bank dies a transfer in then it's quicker. I will try that shortly and see how it goes.

I really wanted to boycott them on principle and go to the other provider also paying the same rate (Kent Reliance, who I have been with in the past and they weren't too bad) but as the Post Office account is up and running and passwords in place I decided to stay (and as I recall Kent Reliance Customer Service was in Bangalore so I might not be any better off).

We shall see.
    • malc_b
    • By malc_b 20th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    malc_b
    MSE might want to add a note to post office account as "instant" is stretching the point. According to FAQ withdrawals < £10m will be next day. Deposits via DD is 3 working days, via debit card is immediately but can take 4 working days. On the other hand Tesco which is 1.20% today compare to 1.27% at post office is faster payments. Well to be fair I have a tesco current account for the 3% in that so I have transfers set up to and from that. I then move money to and from tesco saver as needed to keep current account at maximum. I've just opened a post office account and it's like going back in time.
    • serendipityinvestor
    • By serendipityinvestor 20th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    serendipityinvestor
    I just followed the link to ICICI Bank on the easy access account list and after completing the application form to open an account on the final page I received an alert that the URL was not recognised. Has anyone else experienced this? I know it is unlikely but I worry as to whether the link from MSE may have been hacked and so whether I was on the correct website.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 20th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I just followed the link to ICICI Bank on the easy access account list and after completing the application form to open an account on the final page I received an alert that the URL was not recognised. Has anyone else experienced this? I know it is unlikely but I worry as to whether the link from MSE may have been hacked and so whether I was on the correct website.
    Originally posted by serendipityinvestor
    Can't comment on your actual question but if you have a tracker blocker (like Ghostery'e etc.) they may sometimes do this.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th Oct 17, 1:25 PM
    • 5,889 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    eskbanker
    MSE might want to add a note to post office account as "instant" is stretching the point. According to FAQ withdrawals < £10m will be next day. Deposits via DD is 3 working days, via debit card is immediately but can take 4 working days. On the other hand Tesco which is 1.20% today compare to 1.27% at post office is faster payments. Well to be fair I have a tesco current account for the 3% in that so I have transfers set up to and from that. I then move money to and from tesco saver as needed to keep current account at maximum. I've just opened a post office account and it's like going back in time.
    Originally posted by malc_b
    To be fair, the MSE article linked from OP (despite the thread title) doesn't actually refer to any accounts as 'instant', just 'easy' access, i.e. it refers to lack of notice needed or penalties/restrictions on how many withdrawals can be made, not how long they take.

And Faster Payments is essentially a 'next working day' service, even though many banks are now able to transact even faster than this.

Note also that deposits into the PO Online Saver can be made by direct transfer initiated from your bank account, as per https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:148d19fd-ca62-4604-9560-3548d9f74ca9/online-saver-key-information-pack.pdf:
    Faster Payment – using your Bank or Building Society’s telephone or online banking service. Simply provide your Online Saver account number and sort code (we’ll send you this once your account is open) together with the amount you’d like to deposit.
    these being "Credited to your Account on the same Business Day on which the funds are received by us"
    • brotherbarry
    • By brotherbarry 20th Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    brotherbarry
    Is anyone having trouble withdrawing funds from the Post Office account...

Funds arrived into the account on Monday, and I want to transfer a couple of hundred back out... Yet I keep getting the error;

"Amount must be valid and not greater than the available balance of the account."

Yet I have more than enough fund to cover this transfer!

Extremely frustrating!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

548Posts Today

4,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin