Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 469Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Everything is possible if you try!
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Everything is possible if you try! 7th Sep 17 at 2:57 PM
    Hi all
    Newbie to the forum here. I'm ready to hold my hand up and say "yes, I have a debt problem". I'm also ready to do what I can to climb out of this debt-hole! (Hence the positive title!)

So, a little bit about me - I live with my teenage daughter (who I shall refer to from here on as Kitty) and two real-life floofs who constantly demand food and attention.

I've been dithering around in denial for months years, while slowly but surely the debt pile has accumulated. I was doing a really great job of ignoring this, until a few months ago, when I found myself doing the weekly shop on the credit card ("just to tide me over until pay day"), letting things creep up and up, and not repaying those little credit card payments which grew and grew, meaning that month on month just paying off the interest I wasn't getting anywhere.

I took a long look at what I was spending and where. Admittedly I've been lazier than I should have been with regard to my finances, so I hadn't really bothered to shop around for energy, broadband, car insurance etc deals. I've started to rectify this, and have found cheaper car insurance, energy and broadband. I've also started my little black book for recording moneys in and out, and renewal dates for such things (and discovered that uswitch will save reminders on these too )

I found this forum a couple of days ago, and your stories have inspired me to feel I'm not too old to get ouf of debt before I retire, and my debts, while a large looming cloud at the moment, should be manageable with some serious organisation.
    I've been having to take a lot of self-care lately, due to health reasons, but looking after finances so I'm not so anxious will be part of that.

So, this is the beginning of my diary, and journey. Constructive comments and helpful tips are welcomed, but please be gentle with me, as I'm new to this.

I do have a question for you all - I'm not currently on any DMP or anything. I spoke to a debt management company on the phone, and they recommended an IVA. For some reason the thought of this made me lose nearly a nights sleep and wake several times with severe anxiety chest pains! Hence, I'm trying being accountable to myself, and being open here I think will help, it seems an encouraging group.

Current level of debt:
    Barclaycard: £15,000
    HSBC Credit Card: £3,000
    MBNA Credit Card: £2,400
    Overdraft (this gets maxed out every month without fail): £350
Page 8
    • Cherryjack
    • By Cherryjack 13th Oct 17, 12:34 AM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 4,063 Thanks
    Cherryjack
    Hey Tea & Kittens,

Jumping on your post for the Journey if you dont mind I have just over £10,000 on credit cards and like you have said no more...im getting rid of these debts!! Ive started keeping a written buget (money planner) from paperchase... ironically expensive lol... but its helped this week. I've had 3 no spend days and gave up smoking on Monday aswell..

Look forward to chatting with you all...im a midde aged mummy of 2 x
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 13th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi Cherryjack! Feel free to jump on I'm happy to have people along for the ride, I'm hoping it'll keep me on the straight & narrow!
    I looked at the moneyplanners in paperchase, considered buying one but then looked at some bullet journal ideas for money planning/tracking and used one of those ideas instead in my journal, as that's something I already use!
    Giving up smoking is a biggie, that should help loads financially. I've been in that boat so I know what that's like. If you need moral support just shout!

I've a friend visiting this weekend, making chicken katsu curry for tea (planned and purchased the ingredients I didn't already have in stock with last weeks food budget. The plan is to lunch out tomorrow, but will be having the rest of the meals at home. Also working at home today, so no need to worry about taking lunches anywhere

I do need to do some jobs around the house before visitor arrives though, quick wipe around bathroom and put fresh bedding on her bed etc. Oooh I'm getting quite excited!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 13th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    AleMrsT, I use the spending tracker which has the wallet logo and find it really keeps me on budget.
    Teaandkittens, enjoying your diary and think you're doing great!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I love it when friends come to stay. Have a lovely weekend. See you on the other side.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 41,397 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope the weekend was lovely T&K!

Cherryjack sometimes spending a bit extra on something that then means you will love using it, and so STICK to using it - can actually not be a bad thing. I'm with T&K on the bullet journal idea - that's what suits me, but it's definitely an "each to their own" thing!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,260Users online

Martin's Twitter