Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 169Posts
    • 639Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Everything is possible if you try!
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Everything is possible if you try! 7th Sep 17 at 2:57 PM
    Hi all
    Newbie to the forum here. I'm ready to hold my hand up and say "yes, I have a debt problem". I'm also ready to do what I can to climb out of this debt-hole! (Hence the positive title!)

So, a little bit about me - I live with my teenage daughter (who I shall refer to from here on as Kitty) and two real-life floofs who constantly demand food and attention.

I've been dithering around in denial for months years, while slowly but surely the debt pile has accumulated. I was doing a really great job of ignoring this, until a few months ago, when I found myself doing the weekly shop on the credit card ("just to tide me over until pay day"), letting things creep up and up, and not repaying those little credit card payments which grew and grew, meaning that month on month just paying off the interest I wasn't getting anywhere.

I took a long look at what I was spending and where. Admittedly I've been lazier than I should have been with regard to my finances, so I hadn't really bothered to shop around for energy, broadband, car insurance etc deals. I've started to rectify this, and have found cheaper car insurance, energy and broadband. I've also started my little black book for recording moneys in and out, and renewal dates for such things (and discovered that uswitch will save reminders on these too )

I found this forum a couple of days ago, and your stories have inspired me to feel I'm not too old to get ouf of debt before I retire, and my debts, while a large looming cloud at the moment, should be manageable with some serious organisation.
    I've been having to take a lot of self-care lately, due to health reasons, but looking after finances so I'm not so anxious will be part of that.

So, this is the beginning of my diary, and journey. Constructive comments and helpful tips are welcomed, but please be gentle with me, as I'm new to this.

I do have a question for you all - I'm not currently on any DMP or anything. I spoke to a debt management company on the phone, and they recommended an IVA. For some reason the thought of this made me lose nearly a nights sleep and wake several times with severe anxiety chest pains! Hence, I'm trying being accountable to myself, and being open here I think will help, it seems an encouraging group.

Current level of debt:
    Barclaycard: £15,000
    HSBC Credit Card: £3,000
    MBNA Credit Card: £2,400
    Overdraft (this gets maxed out every month without fail): £350
Page 8
    • Cherryjack
    • By Cherryjack 13th Oct 17, 12:34 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 4,127 Thanks
    Cherryjack
    Hey Tea & Kittens,

Jumping on your post for the Journey if you dont mind I have just over £10,000 on credit cards and like you have said no more...im getting rid of these debts!! Ive started keeping a written buget (money planner) from paperchase... ironically expensive lol... but its helped this week. I've had 3 no spend days and gave up smoking on Monday aswell..

Look forward to chatting with you all...im a midde aged mummy of 2 x
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 13th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi Cherryjack! Feel free to jump on I'm happy to have people along for the ride, I'm hoping it'll keep me on the straight & narrow!
    I looked at the moneyplanners in paperchase, considered buying one but then looked at some bullet journal ideas for money planning/tracking and used one of those ideas instead in my journal, as that's something I already use!
    Giving up smoking is a biggie, that should help loads financially. I've been in that boat so I know what that's like. If you need moral support just shout!

I've a friend visiting this weekend, making chicken katsu curry for tea (planned and purchased the ingredients I didn't already have in stock with last weeks food budget. The plan is to lunch out tomorrow, but will be having the rest of the meals at home. Also working at home today, so no need to worry about taking lunches anywhere

I do need to do some jobs around the house before visitor arrives though, quick wipe around bathroom and put fresh bedding on her bed etc. Oooh I'm getting quite excited!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 13th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    AleMrsT, I use the spending tracker which has the wallet logo and find it really keeps me on budget.
    Teaandkittens, enjoying your diary and think you're doing great!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I love it when friends come to stay. Have a lovely weekend. See you on the other side.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,568 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope the weekend was lovely T&K!

Cherryjack sometimes spending a bit extra on something that then means you will love using it, and so STICK to using it - can actually not be a bad thing. I'm with T&K on the bullet journal idea - that's what suits me, but it's definitely an "each to their own" thing!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 18th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi! Had a lovely weekend with old friend, had a couple of cocktails friday eve for a birthday event, then we went out for lunch on Saturday, but had the evening in playing boardgames (whoop, free entertainment!). Plus it was a good excuse for me to do some kitchen pottering, I concocted a pretty damn awesome prawn katsu curry.
    Changes at work are making me a bit stressy and down. I think this combination might be a "frippering money away" trigger, as I found myself *almost* buying things I really don't need, as if it's going to be some kind of panacea in my head. Stopped short of actual purchase though - partly at the thought of coming on here and admitting to you all that only a few weeks into this I'd failed.

In short, it looks like my job is going to change a bit - different reporting line, more responsibility across another of our sites, and up one grade. Though I haven't had the formal confirmation yet, the last I heard is that they want all this without a salary increase. The grade up gives me automatic entitlement to company car or cash allowance, but doing a bit of number crunching last night looks like I'll be out of pocket if they do this without increasing salary.

On top of this, a medical appointment last week saw a change in medication, which I'm still adjusting to.
    On the plus side, I did have a good tidy round the house before my friend's visit, so hopefully will be easier to keep on top of!
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 18th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Well done on not actually going ahead with the purchase, we all have blips along the way but realising them and getting past them is what shows that we are really ready for our journey I think.

Not good about the job changing with no salary increase, is it something you could potentially disagree with if they don't give you an increase?
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 18th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 5,651 Thanks
    117pauline
    The job thing sounds really difficult and doesn't have an easy answer. It's great they have seen your value but it is not fair it comes with no salary increase, particularly if it means you out of pocket.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pauline117/

This is my pinterest board and it has quite a lot of pins about bullet journals. There seems to be hundreds of ideas for pages. As someone else mentioned, it really is a case of try it and see. Some ideas work for me and others don't. But to be honest, I love looking at the ideas and dreaming!!
    Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 18th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I love board games so that would be an amazing night in for me!

I love bullet journals too. X
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • Plush
    • By Plush 18th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Plush
    In short, it looks like my job is going to change a bit - different reporting line, more responsibility across another of our sites, and up one grade. Though I haven't had the formal confirmation yet, the last I heard is that they want all this without a salary increase. !
    Originally posted by Tea&Kittens
    So many companies are doing this, mine included... it drives me nuts. They expect us to have more responsibility and do more work yet no pay increase. Hope you find a solution to it. I haven't. I'm hesitant to change jobs at the mom as my debt is too high, so that's out of the Q. Good luck!
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 18th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    The job thing sounds really difficult and doesn't have an easy answer. It's great they have seen your value but it is not fair it comes with no salary increase, particularly if it means you out of pocket.
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline
    So many companies are doing this, mine included... it drives me nuts. They expect us to have more responsibility and do more work yet no pay increase. Hope you find a solution to it. I haven't. I'm hesitant to change jobs at the mom as my debt is too high, so that's out of the Q. Good luck!
    Originally posted by Plush
    So, I had an update on the job front this afternoon in the form of a telephone conversation with the person who would be my new line manager (so far all info has come from my current line manager which means he wasn't able to answer all my queries).
    So far, as it stands, someone in the upper echelons of directory management stuff has decided that all the people who do something on similar lines to me should be put in the same group/team, rather than being attached to individual sites.
    So, there's 2 positions - one of which was filled a couple of months ago (I did see the job advert for this but didn't apply as it's nearly 80 miles away). Now they've decided that I should move onto a team and do a parallel job, so we'd cover 2 sites each. One of mine being the site I'm currently at, and the other is 70 or so miles away. NO PAY INCREASE!!
    While it's on a higher grade, with a larger bonus it also has private health care (more tax for me), company car (more tax for me), the tax benefits in kind will mean take-home pay is less.
    I don't expect miracles, but at least not be worse off than I am now for doing more. The line-manager-to-be let slip that my salary is "nearly as much" as the person doing the equivalent job (with less experience of this type of work). Grrr. Frustration. Wondering whether I could pull the "gender pay gap" argument out for that .....
    It's all rather frustrating, they've kind of got me in a corner, as my job as it is at site will no longer exist as there will be no budget for that position with all this jiggery pokery.
    I'd love to be able to tell them no, but really not in a financial position to be able to do so atm.
    High stress/anxiety in head atm.

I love board games so that would be an amazing night in for me!

I love bullet journals too. X
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Hey Nicnak! Always lovely to find another board games fan, what kind of games do you like to play?

This is my pinterest board and it has quite a lot of pins about bullet journals... But to be honest, I love looking at the ideas and dreaming!!
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline
    Lovely Pinterest board Pauline. Lots to look at there I love looking at other peoples bullet journals, and sometimes wish I was better at arty stuff to make mine prettier. I follow a few on instagram, never really got into the pinterest thing!
    My instagram is full of boardgame pictures
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 18th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I love monopoly, cluedo, most things really!

Don't play them very often though.

That would really aggravate me if I was worse off for doing a higher responsibility job! X
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 18th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Oh those are my two favourite games Nic, nobody beats me at cluedo! I need a good evening with board games.

I would also be really annoyed T&K, surely they can't expect you to do more for effectively less pay, I would maybe raise that and let them know that actually you will be worse off.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 18th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    I did ask line-manager-to-be to look into at least making things balance so that I wouldn't be worse off. He'll hopefully get back to me tomorrow! I don't think it's unreasonable at all to not have an effective pay cut!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 18th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Wow Tea, that is some rock and hard place of a job situation.
    I'm assuming you work in the private sector? And if they add all the benefits onto the salary then it's a more expensive package than you are currently on, but cash wise it's less?
    That sucks and should be illegal. What incentive is there to progress then?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 19th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi wishing, yes it is private sector. Nuts, isn't it that on paper it looks better until you take the extra taxes into account. I'm also a bit disgruntled that the other person doing the same job (exact same job description, and we'd have 2 sites each) is on a higher salary. It really doesn't seem right.
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 24th Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Not too bad a weekend, Saturday involved many hours of boardgames at a friends house, plus I drove so no taxi fares and no alcohol kept costs down.
    Sunday I did end up treating kitty and I to a takeaway in the evening, as my brain wasn't mentally in a place for cooking. (Mainly due to job-related angst and not sleeping properly)
    Job is still in limbo. Waiting from verdict from HR about pay and benchmarking with similar jobs.
    Making a big pot of bolognese this evening, should last us for a couple of days
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 24th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Fingers crossed that HR come back with a solution for you.

Sounds like a fab evening playing board games and also driving to keep costs down. A little takeaway every now and again is acceptable. If you don't have little treats then it can make you wonder what you're working for.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 24th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I hope they come back to you quickly on the job front and with a good offer that you're happy with. I made bolognese this evening, I love mince dishes because I'm always guaranteed at least another 2 days of meals from them.
    SPC 586
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 24th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    I tend to make large quantities of mince dishes too Duo. The load I made today will do at least one more meal for both of us, and probably a portion for the freezer for an emergency quick tea one day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,501Posts Today

7,127Users online

Martin's Twitter