Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,673Posts
    • 51,356Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 34
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 11th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 9,937 Thanks
    cathybird
    morning all, 7/21 for me today please.

Actually since coming back from Spain I have had a rotten lurgi, so don't really feel like drinking anyway. I'll be fine, just waiting for it to go away.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 12/21 2017 AFDs: 292/252
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 47,111 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    *healing vibes* for you CathyBird.

Maman, I don't think talking about how to cope with sugar cravings is off topic, and I'm delighted that you've come up with a few more affordable sources and alternative pudding suggestions. Practical tips are always welcome, so thank you!

I won't be getting a broom of my own, PSL, so can I hop on yours?

I've realised that I always seem to count my days AF earlier than most, but I don't really give it a second thought... I know I wont drink for the rest of the day so I'm happy declaring early!
    Originally posted by takingonedayatatime
    I declare when I've read the thread, and that varies from first thing in the morning to last thing at night more recently. When I first joined the thread I didn't dare declare until I'd gone to bed, because I knew I'd never get up, go downstairs and pour myself a large glass of something - I don't think I ever wanted a small one, which is a bit telling, isn't it?

The dog had me up at midnight, walking him around the block at midnight which was necessary so he's forgiven, obviously, because it saved a lot of carpet scrubbing, but I very nearly logged on when I got back to catch up with the thread and delcare which would have been my earliest! Seriously just declare when you want, all contributions are welcome.

11/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 11th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 5,996 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Declaring early on 6/14 for today please Shaggy - determined to get my first smiley tomorrow
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 11th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    6 please, Shaggy, ta
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 17,144 Posts
    • 102,501 Thanks
    maman
    When I first joined the thread I didn't dare declare until I'd gone to bed, because I knew I'd never get up, go downstairs and pour myself a large glass of something - I don't think I ever wanted a small one, which is a bit telling, isn't it?

Seriously just declare when you want, all contributions are welcome.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

I think you're doing brilliantly to have the confidence to declare early oneday. Like HB, when I started (actually for a number of years) I didn't dare post until I was ready for bed. Even then I sometimes tried to argue with myself that having a drink after midnight might still count as an AF day (fortunately never won that argument though).

Now that I do declare early in the day I wish I'd done it before. It's a decision made and any fleeting thoughts are quickly quashed. It's not that this thread is judgemental but there is an accountability that kicks in.

First smiley for me today.

7 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 11th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 6,673 Posts
    • 51,356 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : October 2017
    October 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK 5/21

Arkers

Barny1979 6/24
    CathyBird 7/21

CuppaTea 5/18

Eltee /25

ElusiveLucy 5/14

GintotMelinda

GreenKaren 10/TF
    Honey Bear 11/31
    MaggieM 8/15
    Maman 7/10

Nicnak
    Poor Single Lady 9/24

Pricey 6/20

PurpleMumof2 3/10
    Shaggy 7/13

StepUpToThePl8

StichyWitchy

SukeyBoo 6/14
    TakingOneDay 10/31

WBF 3/14

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • takingonedayatatime
    • By takingonedayatatime 11th Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    takingonedayatatime
    I think you're doing brilliantly to have the confidence to declare early oneday. Like HB, when I started (actually for a number of years) I didn't dare post until I was ready for bed. Even then I sometimes tried to argue with myself that having a drink after midnight might still count as an AF day (fortunately never won that argument though).
    That made me laugh!

Still doing OK - I'm not saying that the wine isn't calling but more that I'm still ignoring it!

11/31 for me please
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 11th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 43,813 Thanks
    Barny1979
    7/24 AFDs today
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 11th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 4,316 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    10/24 please

HB if I get a broom it would be a privilege to share with you. But some time to go yet and some challenges.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 12th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 9,937 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 8/21 for me please.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 12th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 5,996 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Morning everyone

First smiley for me today as declaring early on 7/14 please Shaggy
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 17,144 Posts
    • 102,501 Thanks
    maman
    No drinking planned today.

8 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 47,111 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    HB if I get a broom it would be a privilege to share with you. But some time to go yet and some challenges.
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    Thanks PSL!

12/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • takingonedayatatime
    • By takingonedayatatime 12th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    takingonedayatatime
    Hi Everyone!

A busy day for me here and I'm just off to bed.. 12/31 please Shaggy

Night Night!
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 13th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    maggiem
    10/15 for me please. Not quite sure what makes the difference in having a successful week or a s*d it week. I’m away again in hotels etc which is always more difficult, had a very challenging week and then a bit of a disappointment last night when a meal out with colleagues was cancelled but still managed to stay on the straight and narrow. Still happy to be achieving AFDs and long may this minuscule amount of will power continue!
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 13th Oct 17, 8:05 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    Green Karen
    12/20 AF days as of last night.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 13th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 9,937 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 9/21 for me please.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 13th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 3,317 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Up to 7/14 for me now following AFDs on Weds and Thurs. going away for work next week so that will be a challenge to stay AF
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 17,144 Posts
    • 102,501 Thanks
    maman
    Still happy to be achieving AFDs and long may this minuscule amount of will power continue!
    Originally posted by maggiem

Sounds like more than a minimal amount to me Maggie!

There are many things that can get to us when staying AF in 'public'. There's the initial hurdle of having to announce AFness to the group, then the temptation constantly there to join in with everyone else who seem to be having a great time. It's not easy but you're proving it can be done.

You've made an excellent start to the month too greenkaren. Good luck on your travels next week.
    • Eltee12
    • By Eltee12 13th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 7,510 Thanks
    Eltee12
    Afternoon All

9/25 for me

Thanks

El
    PAYDBX 2017 #45 £1,968/£1,968 paid, yipeee!;
    2017 AFD 199/200: Jan - June = 123; July - Sept = 51; Oct = 25
    CCC #11 £232.99/£300 - no spend months: JAN-APRIL
    Mortgage-free since 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,519Posts Today

7,142Users online

Martin's Twitter