Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,188Posts
    • 5,728Thanks
    MeandO
    Striving to save and stay solvent!
    • 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    Striving to save and stay solvent! 16th May 17 at 9:03 PM
    My previous thread felt a bit old hat and I need to start afresh with a bit more positivity, looking forward rather than back, so here goes...

Although I'm not in debt anymore (apart from the mortgage), I'm not able to overpay my mortgage until I've worked on the savings pots as I really do have practically no money behind me once essential repairs are paid for on this house. Money is extremely tight now I've dropped to part time and am a single parent to my little boy, so I feel more at home here on the DFW board if you'll have me!

It wouldn't take huge emergency to force me back into relying on a credit card or loan again. I really don't want to (and can't afford to) get back into that postion so I have to focus and stay on the straight and narrow.

Link to the previous diary for those interested:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5490668
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Savings: £1000/£2000
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000
    Mortgage now: £78,380

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
Page 13
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    I got all of my outstanding orders completed last night, ready for posting tonight. I also need to pick up an ebay parcel (a birthday gift) from a pick up point tonight when I post the parcels.

I should be able to pay off around £130 to the credit card from the latest sales. Nice to see it going down, but there will be another £330 added to it this week from the pre-planned trip this weekend, so it will be going up again. Still, it should be (just) under £1k now and then that's it - nothing else due on it - so I will focus on hopefully getting rid of it completely by Christmas.

I received a partial refund for the faulty goods overnight, but have chased them today for a full refund.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 4th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just paid off £121.34 (to round the numbers down ). Balance now stands at £750.

There is around £90 due to come back from refunds, so I've worked it out that the balance will be £977.20 when everything has been paid out and come back in by next week.
    Last edited by MeandO; 04-10-2017 at 10:03 AM.

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 4th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 18,597 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Its going in the right direction

Woo hoo to the mortgage too x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7000.00 Cap 1: £457.35 BC: £5000.00

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10
    POAMAYC 2018 #?? PD £0.00/£4000
    20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks Purps. Hope you're feelig better now too.

DS has gone down with a nasty virus. He has had a raging temperature since last night and says it's sore when he swallows, although I can't see that his throat is red or anything. Poor baby is really not feeling very well - the day before we're due to go on a weekend theme park trip for the kids that DS has been so excited about. I pulled the boat out and booked us into a themed room for two nights and everything. I have no idea yet if he's going to be well enough to go and unfortunately we can't cancel or get a refund so I hope a day or two of resting and calpol/nurofen will leave him feeling better for the weekend. I'm off work with him this morning and have to go in this afternoon now, the ex will be looking after him this afternoon.

I received the two outstanding refunds on the boots, so that should go back to the credit card within a few days. I also received the refund for the faulty goods received, albeit with a bit of a fight, so that has gone back to the account today.
    I also sold a long-term-listed buy it now on ebay for £42 which OH had given me to sell. He is adamant that I keep the money, but I will put it towards the weekend. If DS is not well enough to go, then I will give it to OH to pay for some meals for him and his child as they'll have to go without us.

I need to rejig YNAB a bit this afternoon, I may be able to send another small overpayment to the credit card with all of these refunds now coming in.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 9th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just a quick update now - DS recovered thankfully, and we were able to go away. I won't say a good time was had by all, but DS enjoyed and that's the main thing.

I've had a few more orders over the weekend, so have been able to free up £116.72 for overpayments. However, I've decided to throw this sum at the mortgage rather than the credit card this time, just to round it down under the £79k mark. Balance now stands at £78,984.42.

Any further money made will be thrown at the credit card from now on though, just to pay it off asap. Psychologically it makes me feel easier not having any credit card debt and I can focus on the mortgage and building up savings then.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 9th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    I popped to a shop after work today to pick up a click and collect order - 4 more Christmas presents which I bought when there was an offer on, combined with a discount code, so happy with the price I paid for those.
    I paid a quick visit to £world and spent £9 in there. Then asda to fill the car up with fuel, spending £45 (it was practically empty), and £14 odd spent in the store - just under £9 on groceries and £5.50 on a duvet cover for OH to go with his newly redecorated bedroom, reduced from £20 in the sale.
    I also spent about £35 online today on some more Christmas gifts for DS and another child I buy for. That's both of them pretty much covered now for Christmas.

Tonight has been survey central with one after another appearing in my account! I've done as many as I can tonight without falling asleep, managed to earn another £5 Amazon voucher which has already been credited, and am 3/4 way towards the next one. That's £10 I now have on account towards OHs Christmas gift which is around £90.
    Looking back over the one survey account, I've earned around £60 in vouchers in 4 months, so I'm really pleased with that.

I've done lots of work tonight too and got some more orders started. I just need to complete them tomorrow, ready for posting later in the week.
    Unfortunately I need to buy some more toner for my printer and some more supplies which will come to around £120, so the next bit of profit will have to go towards that before it can go towards the credit card.

Just off for a hot soak in the bath then an early night.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 9th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    ...and several surveys later, I have just redeemed my second £5 Amazon voucher of the evening. Whoop whoop! That's £15 towards my £90 target.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    YNAB updated this morning, I've negelected it for quite a few days, so I feel better about getting everything up to date. It does tell me I've spent way too much though, which I was anticipating.

I was going to order a big shop this week as I've run out of quite a few things, but I will reasses that when I get home tonight and see if I can eek out what we have and perhaps just pop to Aldi to pick up a few essentials instead.

I was going to order tiles today for my kitchen and another small spot that needs tiling, as I've been sent a 15% off code which will bring the total down from £100 to £85, but, I really can't afford it at the moment, so it will have to wait.

I need to check a couple of moneyboxes in the house to make sure there are no old £1 coins hiding anywhere. DS can spend them if there are, I'm not anticipating there to be many!
    I also need to bank a big bag of 50ps my Mum kindly saved up for DS. They'll go into his children's ISA. There's a nice sum building up in that now, he is richer than me for sure!

Chicken taken out of the freezer for tea tonight, there should be leftovers for tomorrow's lunch too. DS is having a 'sausage roast dinner' - one of his faves. I have everything in for it, so no need to buy extra.

Today's to do list for after work, just for my benefit:

• Mealplan
    • Print orders
    • Surveys
    • Contact bathroom guy
    • Contact insulation people
    • Check for £1 coins
    • Sort ISA book & 50ps
    • Check pre-Christmas birthdays

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    A cheque for £47.90 has (finally) arrived for something I was owed from work. I shall try and put this in the bank tomorrow if I get chance. Hopefully I'll be able to pay it straight off the credit card.

I've sorted dinner for tonight and planned tomorrow's food. A quick look through the freezer tells me I have plenty in, so don't really need to do a big shop. I shall try and do a smaller top-up shop later this week.

Feeling a bit tonight.
    Sometimes progress feels really slow and the long slog ahead to pay everything off feels much longer at times than others. Oh well, no choice but to plod on I guess.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on getting the mortgage down to the 78 bracket. That must be satisfying.

I'm glad you were able to go on your weekend away and that your DS is better. Sounds like you are on track and very organised when it comes to Christmas.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you HSL2 xx

I've done a couple more surveys tonight, but have run out of steam with them now tbh so will try and do a few more in the morning.

I cashed in a little bit of cashback for another amazon voucher - a whole £2.51, but it's better in my pocket than theirs!

I've had a couple more orders in tonight which I'm grateful for. I've also packed up all previous orders ready for posting tomorrow.

YNAB allowed me to free up some money, so today I've transferred £125 to the savings in readiness for the car and home insurance due in the next few months, and I've paid an extra £57.48 off the credit card. I also tried to pay a further £50 off of it with the incentive card I got from Sky, but I guess it won't allow me to use that card as it wouldn't work. I'll attempt to use that card for groceries though and transfer the euqivalent from the bank account to the credit card instead.

Dinner tonight and lunches for tomorrow are all done from the cupboards/fridge/freezer and I've made a list of the essentials I need to buy. A lot of it is household stuff such as kitchen roll, loo roll, shampoo etc, so I will go to Home Bargains and get most of it from there as it will be a lot cheaper.

Didn't get to the bank to pop the cheque in, will hopefully do so tomorrow.

Forgot about a £20 cashback incentive I had when I booked the trip we've just taken at the weekend. Had an email about it, so another £20 should be refunded back to the credit card. I haven't included it in the new outstanding total yet, but will do so when it's credited.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 12th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    I had a flurry of orders in overnight which is great, but have had to spend almost £130 in printer consumables this morning as I'm running low on two items, so, after accounting for postage of around £100 too, I'll be left with about £60 to pay off the credit card. At least I won't need to buy any more consumables for a while though, so profit from any further orders for a little while should be able to go straight towards paying the debt off.

I checked the house and money boxes within for old £1 coins this morning, thankfully (or not, depends how you look at it!) we have none. I still have an old £5 note in my purse that was given to me in change, so I will see if the bank will let me pay it into the account today, they did last time. I also need to bank the cheque today after work. Once cleared it'll be paid off the credit card.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 12th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    I nipped to Tesco at lunchtime and found lots of YS bargains for the freezer. A whole chicken, reduced to £2.07, 3 large packs of smoked haddock for £2.10 each, a takeaway indian meal box for two reduced to £3 and a large 'counter made' pizza which I'll cut up and freeze in portions for £1. I also treated work colleagues to some sweet treats and bought myself a cheap(ish) lunch today. £17 spent. Oh, and some halloween cakes for DS from greggs, £1.75 for 4.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 13th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    OH and I unexpectedly went out for food last night, only to the local pub, was a nice change and only spent around £10.

I posted the orders I'd completed and topped my post office business account up by £70, so there's around £90 on that card now. Should hopefully be around £35 left after yesterday's lot was sent; will probably need to top up by another £30-£40 next week. Allowing for that, I should have around £150 left to overpay the credit card from the business and £47 from the cheque to be banked. Think I can manage to round that up to £200 and pay a nice chunk off. That, along with the £20 cashback due to be paid to it within the next 7 days, will get the debt back down into the £600's (just), which is a lot better than the £900s as it stands now.

I've completed a few more surveys this morning, have a few more to do but will try and do those at lunchtime. The points in that account is building up nicely again.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 14th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Another £5 Amazon voucher earned from surveys

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    £100 paid off the credit card this morning, should be able to pay another chunk off later this week once a cheque clears and business takings have hit the bank account.

I've done a couple more surveys this morning too, I'm about halfway to another £5 voucher already. They're building up nicely at the moment.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    The £20 cashback incentive has now appeared on the credit card account, so outstanding balance is now £799.72. I should be able to pay at least another £100 off it this week. I really can't wait until it's gone and I'm debt free - obviously apart from the mortgage - which I then really need to work on paying down. I'm worried I won't be able to get a good deal once my fixed rate is up in May as I'm now working part time.
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-10-2017 at 1:12 PM.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    So, erm... I just paid my credit card off...
    Other than the mortgage (and an old style student loan I'll never earn enough to pay off), I'm debt free.

I've been sat here thinking about money, thinking how daft I've been. I had £1400 sat in a savings account which I've been saving - £975 is for some work to be done on my bathroom, but I still don't have a date for when this is likely to be done (it's been promised for 8 months+) and the rest is to save towards house/car insurance and an emergency pot.
    So, instead of having it sit there, I've paid the credit card off with it and now, instead of throwing every bit of earnings from the business at the credit card, I can now throw it at the savings.

So, with the latest bit of the business funds added, the savings now sit at £720. I will be able to pay at least another £100 over to it within the next day or two, so it will soon be on the way back up towards the £975 needed. Then I need to furiously save to cover the car & house insurance and MOT due in November/December so I don't have to resort to paying these with the credit card.

I'd like to get the savings pot up to a decent amount before overpaying the mortgage, so if I concentrate on that for the rest of 2017 and start 2018 with tackling my mortgage, I think that almost smells like a plan...
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-10-2017 at 2:10 PM.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    That's fantastic...well done

It sounds like a good plan to build up the EF and start 2018 with a mortgage busting gusto!
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Oct 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you HSL2 xx

It's been a busy afternoon/evening since I left work. I left the office and manage to print all of my orders/invoices off before picking DS up from school. Then we had an hour or so of working on a school project that he needs for Friday and we were only told about it last night... we had to pop to home bargains after school and buy paint, glue etc for it and I picked up some other bits whilst I was there - a couple of presents, some snacks for Ds's lunchbox and such. We spent £17 but paid for it with the £50 incentive card from sky, so no money taken out of the bank.
    We painted his model when we got back, read his reading book and spellings - sometimes I really do feel like it's too much sent home to do for school. We spent an hour last night making another project he needed, the same tonight and tomorrow now, plus reading books and spellings every day - he's 6 ffs and I'm a single parent who effectively works two jobs! I'm very aware and encourage the importance of learning, but it is too much at times.

Anyway, once DS was fed, watered, de-painted, bathed and in bed, I started work again! Spent a few hours getting the orders made and packed but did mange to get most of it done so I am pleased. I just need to finish a few bits off tomorrow before posting it all on Thursday.

Yesterday I went to Aldi and spent £25 on a trolley full of groceries. It still amazes me how much you can get for your money there, although unfortunately the fruit and veg in my local one has gone downhill a bit so you have to check it over carefully. Again, I made use of the £50 incentive card so it didn't actually cost me anything. Between that and today's spend, there's £6.86 left on the card.

No surveys done tonight, too tired now, but I do have a few to do so will attempt those in the morning. Hopefully I will gain enough points tomorrow to cash in for the next £5 Amazon voucher, although am still waiting for delivery of the last one...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,501Posts Today

7,127Users online

Martin's Twitter