Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • My side hustle
    • By My side hustle 18th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 4Thanks
    My side hustle
    My Side Hustle
    • 18th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    My Side Hustle 18th Sep 17 at 9:13 PM
    Hello everyone,

This thread will be a diary of me attempting to earn multiple side incomes, whilst working full time. I have been lurking on these boards for a while. I see posts where people are earning £500+ per month from matched betting, or a blog etc. The income from matched betting seems too good to be true. I've been reading a few threads about blogging and wonder how people got into the position of making money.

I'm going to dive in and try it for myself. I have only ever earnt income from an employment so I genuinely have no experience in earning additional income. I thought it would be useful not only for me to get tips from you guys, but also for others to see how easy (or difficult!) it is and to learn from my mistakes.

If this isn't the right place to be posting this thread then please let me know!
    Last edited by My side hustle; 18-09-2017 at 9:39 PM. Reason: typo
Page 2
    • My side hustle
    • By My side hustle 1st Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    My side hustle
    My Side Hustle Plan
    I want to generate passive streams of income that are scalable, I know this will take some time to set up so to receive immediate money I have started off with matched betting. I intend to design and sell T-shirts but this will take money to advertise, so I plan to use the money generated from matched betting to fund this. I have also started a blog, which I intend to monetise mainly with affiliate links.

I've made the decision not to do surveys, in my opinion the money is not worth the time.

Target:
    £1,000 by 31st December 2017.
    To be honest, I really don't know how much I will make. I expect most of not all of my income in the next few months to be from matched betting.
    • My side hustle
    • By My side hustle 1st Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    My side hustle
    September profit
    Profit £94/ Target £1,000 (31/12/17)

All earnings were from matched betting (began two weeks ago), to be honest I haven't dedicated much time to it. I need to step it up and my October target from matched betting is £400.

I've spent time on my blog this week and designed only one t-shirt, I have so many ideas for more designs. I'm also in the process of switching my current account to HSBC, I should receive a £150 bonus from this in the next couple of weeks.

I'll update my profile to include my blog of anyone is interested, I don't think I'm allowed the post the URL here.

Weekly tasks:
    Design two more t-shirts.
    Check on progress of HSBC switch.
    Publish two blog posts.
    • My side hustle
    • By My side hustle 8th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    My side hustle
    Earnings £185.84 (since mid September)/Target £1,000 (31/12/2017).

Considering how well I've got on with matched betting this week (in addition to the above I also have about £80 profit in the pipeline), I think I'll easily meet my target for the end of the year. I've also heard the profits start to taper off after completing all the sign up offers so I'm not sure how long this level of income will continue. I'ms surprised by how easy it has been, it's got me thinking what I'm going to do with all this extra income.

Weekly tasks completed?
    Design two more t-shirts - only completed one
    Check on progress of HSBC switch - HSBC haven't done their bit so taking longer than expected.
    Publish two blog posts - done.

I think I'm going to design one T-shirt per week, I feel like this is achievable and I can make better quality designs. To be honest I don't need loads, if I do one per week for three months that more than enough. I'll start to think about how to sell/advertise them in November with the profits from matched betting. I won't use all of my profits, I'm going to begin with a very conservative approach.

My blog views are increasing, looking at the amount of views in the first week of October I'm on track to receive 500 views in my first full month of blogging. In September I only received 61 views, but my blog was only live for two weeks. My plan to increase views is to follow other personal finance blogs and interact on them, hopefully in turn their readers will also follow my blog. I don't have much of a social media presence, I think I'll tackle this at a later stage and concentrate on one thing at a time.

Next week tasks:
    Publish two blog posts
    Design one T-shirt
    Call HSBC and sort out switch
    Promote on Reddit
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 8th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    I think the money she'd is quite a good place to advertise your blog and get advice from others. I have not tried it myself just read some of the posts.
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 8th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Beartricks
    Are you using a matched betting guide, paid or otherwise and how much money did you invest initially? I'm looking into it, but I'm (probably rightly) wary of going in to it before I've done enough research.
    • My side hustle
    • By My side hustle 8th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    My side hustle
    Are you using a matched betting guide, paid or otherwise and how much money did you invest initially? I'm looking into it, but I'm (probably rightly) wary of going in to it before I've done enough research.
    Yes I'm using OddsMonkey, I have signed up to the premium version which costs £15 per month. It is so easy to use, it has video guides and shows you how to complete each offer step by step. I would definitely recommend it.

But you can use the free trial, this includes two offers and you can make approximately £40 profit from the free trial alone. You can start out with about £100. If you want to test the waters or don't have much to start with, just do one offer at a time and slowly build up your profits. Once you have built up some money you can do multiple offers at the same time. It can take a few offers to get your head around it, but once you've done a few you will get quicker and you won't have to think about it so much.

I was wary of it at first as well, I initially thought it mush be some kind of scam or was based on probability with an element of risk involved. But I read numerous articles all saying it is risk free. So I finally decided to try it and only wish I had discovered it earlier.

You can always to try the free trial with OddsMonkey, read the instructions, watch the video guildes and make sure you understand how it works before putting any money in.

Let me know if you decide to go ahead.
    Last edited by My side hustle; 10-10-2017 at 5:30 AM. Reason: Error
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 11th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Matched betting is NOT risk free! For example, bookies can go bust and if they have your cash, you have probably lost it. Also you can make mistakes placing bets and lose your money. It is ALMOST risk free IF YOU ARE CAREFUL!

I have done this myself and lost money by making mistakes initially, but overall made the money back quite quickly. I used Profit Accumulator who also charge around £15 a month but they have a forum that has a guide showing how you can make ~£300 a month on a part-time basis (hour or so a day) once you have used up all the welcome bonuses. I've never been gubbed myself, but haven't been doing this for very long.
    Matched Betting novice - Earnings to date - £161.16 so far this month.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 59,241 Posts
    • 41,996 Thanks
    soolin
    Re Matched betting, this is till gambling and things can go very wrong. Please look at the sticky posts on the MSE thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4898621

Martin's warning on that board states:

"WARNING! Matched Betting needs MASSIVE caution. Not for beginners!
    This board’s for matched betting not gambling, that ISN’T MoneySaving. Mistakes can cost £1,000s.
    No offer’s checked by MSE. Always do your own research. In doubt? Don't do it. Read full guidance "
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • My side hustle
    • By My side hustle 15th Oct 17, 9:38 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    My side hustle
    Earnings £283/Target £1,000 (31/12/2017)
    All earnings from matched betting.

Weekly tasks completed:
    Publish two blog posts - Done.
    Design one T-shirt - Done.
    Call HSBC and sort out switch - Done.
    Promote my Matched Betting post on Reddit - Done.

I have more time on my hands this week so I'll design two more T-shirts, I want to start advertising them now since I'm making a decent profit from matched betting. I've heard Instagram and Facebook are best for advertising so I'm going to first look into how the adverts work and cost. HSBC said it takes 50 for the bonus of £150 to credit your account, so maybe I'll get it for Christmas. This week I've only had 5 visitors from Reddit, I think I need way more content before I start promoting my blog, maybe I'll start in the new year. But I do think I need to have some sort of social media presence for my blog so I'll start on Twitter I think. Still on track for 500 views this month.

Next week tasks
    Publish two blog posts
    Design two T-shirts
    Look into how Facebook adverts work & cost
    Set up Twitter account for my blog
    Apply to Leapforce
    Last edited by My side hustle; 15-10-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Extra info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,001Posts Today

8,622Users online

Martin's Twitter