Real-life MMD: Should I cough up to avoid cheap seats at the theatre?

Comments

• Also, trying to oblige someone to pay out for top-priced tickets when they can't afford it doesn't quite fit with the 'money-saving' ethos of this website, does it?
  • tindella
    tindella Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why don't you both sit where you want to and meet in the bar at the interval?

Try lastminute.com for seats or even the booths down in London to see if you can get some discount.
  • tindella
    tindella Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went to see From Here to Eternity just after it opened and got "bumped up" too. Also happened last year when I went to see Let it Be, so you can get lucky!
  • Ask yourself why you are going. Is it to see the show or to have a night out with your brother? If it is to spend a night out with your brother, go somewhere else with him and go to the show at a later date in the expensive seat or sit in the cheap seats with him to enjoy the show together. If it is to see the show, then tell him you are going to the expensive seats. He can join you and pay himself or go at a different time on his own.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with those who say that it is you who are forcing the expensive seats on your brother, so if that is where you feel you must sit, then you should pay the extra cost.

However, always one for compromise where families are concerned, and to work out a fair contribution from your brother - would it be possible to add the cost of the cheap ticket with that of the expensive one and divide by two, so that he is paying a little towards the extra cost of the expensive seats you prefer?

But, if it really upsets you to subsidise him in any way, and you value your seating position more than his company, then maybe you should sit in different seats or go alone.
  • IanIan
    IanIan Posts: 70 Forumite
    I always buy tickets from the TKTS booth in Leicester Square. The tickets are half price and I have never been disappointed with the seats. The staff at the booth are knowledgable about the shows and the best places to sit.
  • jaxsmar
    jaxsmar Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Last time I brought tickets through lastminute.com brought cheap tickets and we got upgraded.... obviously this was unexpected but a lovely surprise!
    Penny wise pound foolish. 366 days 1p challenge 2020 ✓ 2021 2022 2023 completed.
    No.13 1p a day challenge 2024
    No. 24 52 week savings challenge.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I would either

A) Just sit in the cheap seats with him
    B) Go on my own and sit in the expensive seat ALONE!
  • Why do you have to sit together?
    Once the performance has started, it's not as if you can talk to each other, so it's pretty much immaterial who you're sitting next to.
    You can still meet up in the interval for a drink or whatever.
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx

• £$*()&"$(*$&
    £$*()&"$(*$& Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2014 at 12:42PM
    I have gotten some very good seats using the half price tickets places, the newer theatres have no bad views.

Be careful with some of the half price booths in London, the price shown is the from price - usually the actual price is higher! TKTS booth in Leicester Square do sell at the prices they show.
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I cough up to avoid cheap seats at the theatre?

My brother and I want to see a West End show. I would rather pay full whack for top seats, but he earns less than me so doesn’t want to shell out. Our mum suggested I subsidise his ticket, but I feel like this is unfair and he’s being difficult because he thinks this is the likely outcome. Should I cough up?

:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport