IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Always a scam??

Ive got a letter/invoice from this lot today, and reading on here about them - im not sure if i should pay up or ignore...

Basically, they have got me as arriving at a hotel at one time, and leaving 4 1/2 hours later (fair cop - I was late leaving cos i didnt keep a good enough eye on the time) I paid for 4 hours parking (by phone, so no ticket) and wasted 20 mins attempting to register to use the phone pay system (didnt have enough change for the car park!) not that it makes any difference to the fact that i was late out!!

this letter/invoice ive got says that i was in a private car park and either didnt buy a ticket or overstayed my welcome and to cough up £90 by Feb 8th or it will go up to £120.

This is fair enough - I read the sign, thought I was ok, forgot the time at the party I was at - and left late.

BUT

Everything I have read on here (even when people have been late leaving and admit to being late out) says to ignore these letters and it will all just go away eventually??

so which should I do?? (besides take a lot more notice of the time in future) I cant afford the £90, let alone £120 - so if its "pay up and learn" then i need to do that sooner rather than later...

please help someone stupid!!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Comments

• taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Far from being stupid you have come to the right place for advice, and the advice is to ignore parking cry completely, this is clearly a penalty and not a reflection of losses incurred, a private company cannot issue penalties unless acting for a council, and they are not in this case, are they ?

Read the sticky threads and educate yourself to the scam that private parking companies do, they are full bluster and crap, and they don't do court, and when they do they lose 99.9% of the time, the scam relies on people panicking and being model British citizens , meaning that people cough up as that is what people are taught to do here, so using a very Brit trait against you. Just beleive what you read here it is a scam, and the advice is to ignore unless signed stamped court papers arrive.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Its nearly two years since Parking Eye last sent me a threat, so I reckon the chances of anything else are pretty slim.

Just ignore :)
  • The most you owe them is a further half hour's parking - that is all they can legitimately ask you for. And that stance is backed up by a recent court case (even though that alone does not make it case law). But you should still ignore them and not pay - the will give up. And they ought to owe you half an hour if their payment mechanism is so cumbersome it takes 20 minutes to do so :eek:.
  • Parking Eye - Always a scam??

Yes.
  • Parking Eye did take someone to court in connection with one of their PCNs.... and got crucified by the judge. They ended up nearly £4k out of pocket. I understand they're still smarting from that one and do not appear, as yet, to have lodged an appeal against the judgement.
  • The most you owe them is a further half hour's parking - that is all they can legitimately ask you for. And that stance is backed up by a recent court case (even though that alone does not make it case law). But you should still ignore them and not pay - the will give up. And they ought to owe you half an hour if their payment mechanism is so cumbersome it takes 20 minutes to do so :eek:.

Is this the same case I am referring to in my post? If so, Parking Eye deserved everything they got. The judge who heard the case should be hailed as a hero.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    The only time Parking Eye isn't a scam is when they try to collect the genuine losses, which most of the time is zero.

But then didn't someone once get sent a letter from Parking Eye saying that the amount outstanding is zero?

Got to love pay-by-phone parking, normally involves a 0845 number (which for mobile phones can be costly), and takes ages to try and register, and you get hit with extra fees on top.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    My son got one yesterday from this lot, which is being ignored by us.
    He was talking with his friends today and they are plotting all going to park there and get tickets with the intention of screwing them around with the admin costs.

I'm actually part hoping I get one whilst working on one of these sites as I can then legally cause all sorts of problems for the businesses involved!! (As I can for councils anyway)
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    But remember that a council PCN is enforceable , so not to be messed around and should be appealed properly and in certain time frames.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • trudij
    trudij Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You lot are fab, thankyou! It was a hotel car park that parking eye run as a pad one, so I presume I am safe to ignore it and see what happens then.... Parasites!!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback